Proposal: Flames-Leafs

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Pretty basic trade, nothing flashy.
Stone for Leivo

Leafs get a fairly significant upgrade on Polak. Stone is fairly physical, defensively sound and adds a huge cannon from the RD.

Not sure what the plans are for Leivo this year but he seems like sort of the odd man out, especially if they somehow sign or replace JVR. Seems like the kid has a solid all round skill set, that would fit nicely in the bottom 6.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Stone isn’t bottom pairing. He’s a middle pairing D who happens to be on a team that is behind Hamilton and Hamonic.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Stone would be top 4 in Toronto.
No interest in a borderline NHLer in Leivo.
Flames pass.
As of right now....Rielly/Gardiner/Zaitsev/Hainsey...who's Stone bumping? Let me guess, Zaitsev? No thanks, would rather move Dermott up before moving assets for Stone.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I’d say Stone borders on being an elite bottom pairing defenseman, if there is such a thing, easily can play on a lot of teams middle pairing. Yes he is hands down much better than Polak and may even challenge Zaitsev or Hainsey for a spot. If we didn’t have Andersson pushing for a spot, he wouldn’t be on the table.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
i'd do this easily as a leafs fan. stone is better than polak and leivo isn't that important of a player on this team. we are doing Calgary a favour as well by giving them an open spot on the 3rd for rasmus andersson

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
i'd do this easily as a leafs fan. stone is better than polak and leivo isn't that important of a player on this team. we are doing Calgary a favour as well by giving them an open spot on the 3rd for rasmus andersson
Not just that, but Hainsey isn’t getting any younger. At 37, his play could easily drop off a cliff, at any time.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I will say this, adding a 4-5 guy doesn't really help the Leafs....they need a partner for Rielly, then everyone shifts down to their rightful place:

Rielly-???
Gardiner-Hainsey/Zaitsev
Dermott-Hainsey/Zaitsev

Holl/Rosen/Borg/Carrick/Liljegren

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
I would want a pick added. Leivo is going to find himself on waivers with the Leafs depth, could easily be picked up there.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I will say this, adding a 4-5 guy doesn't really help the Leafs...

Replacing a 6-7 with a 4-5 does help a team, and if the cost is your 13th forward it's a no brainer.
With any progression from Dermott we could have a 2nd quality 3rd pair that can take some weight off Rielly. Or maybe Stone turns out to be a Hainsey upgrade.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Replacing a 6-7 with a 4-5 does help a team, and if the cost is your 13th forward it's a no brainer.
With any progression from Dermott we could have a 2nd quality 3rd pair that can take some weight off Rielly. Or maybe Stone turns out to be a Hainsey upgrade.
Adding 3.5 in cap while still having a gaping hole on your top pair is counter productive. Stone isn't a big enough upgrade to warrant that IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad