Confirmed with Link: Flames hire Don Maloney as Pro Scout

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I really hate these "old boys club" comments because it comes off like the move is being written off as not being thought through.

Burke would nix any move like this that he did not think would improve the Flames. Yes Maloney and Treliving worked together in the past, yes Maloney was Treliving's mentor. But to me this means Treliving knows better than anyone how Maloney thinks, what he looks for in players and most importantly that he can trust his opinions. That trust is absolutely imperative in a pro scout IMO as it is their opinions that help you come up with game plans for your opponents, how you value players in a trade... etc.

Old Boys Club comments should be saved for questionable moves that leave you scratching your head, where the only connection is the past. In this case we have an NHL quality General Manager as a pro scout advising our young management team. This is an absolutely fantastic move by the Flames.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Love this signing. Listened to the interview with him on the Fan960 and it sounds like he's happy to be back scouting. Never hurts to have a guy like him with tons of experience to bounce ideas off when needed.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Old boys club is an issue when they just hire unqualified buddies. Don Maloney is a good hockey mind and I'd trust him completely with his new duties.

If you think people don't hire people they've had previous work history with then you haven't been in the workforce long.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Yeah, my comment on old boys club was a bit kneejerk for sure. Less fussed about it after some time thinking about it.

If it was some unqualified scrub, then I would be pissed. But Maloney has a pretty proven track record.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
It's really nice to see Yote fans come in and congratulate us. Thanks to you guys as well. :)

Agreed on the OBC comment being ridiculous. Maloney is a very qualified and respected man. His link with Treliving and Burke helped for sure, but it's not like we hired someone who isn't qualified. Maloney even mentioned he had several offers but chose us because he liked Burke and Treliving. So it's not like we jumped on a guy no one wanted just because because.

I mean the McGrattan rumors of him being brought into the org for some type of role are currently out there as well. But IMO, he is qualified for the rumored role. That's not really OBC, that's just grabbing good quality guys for a role you need filling/creating and guys with links to you who will run through a wall for you/know your organization well.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Yeah, my comment on old boys club was a bit kneejerk for sure. Less fussed about it after some time thinking about it.

If it was some unqualified scrub, then I would be pissed. But Maloney has a pretty proven track record.

It happens. especially having seen what that cesspool was in Edmonton. Don Maloney is a great mind and is certainly qualified to be in his new position.

Given Arizona's track record I wonder what he could have done for us in our drafting. However, ignoring everything post-April (when he was fired), list of Don Maloney's trades:

http://www.nhltradetracker.com/user/trade_list_by_GM/Don_Maloney/221

Aside from the bigger trades that have been discussed already, one move he made was trading Rundblad, David Brisebois for a 2nd round pick in 2014 (Christian Dvorak)

Last edited:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
It happens. especially having seen what that cesspool was in Edmonton. Don Maloney is a great mind and is certainly qualified to be in his new position.

Given Arizona's track record I wonder what he could have done for us in our drafting. However, ignoring everything post-April (when he was fired), list of Don Maloney's trades:

http://www.nhltradetracker.com/user/trade_list_by_GM/Don_Maloney/221

Aside from the bigger trades that have been discussed already, one move he made was trading Rundblad, David Brisebois for a 2nd round pick in 2014 (Christian Dvorak)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it says he's a pro scout, which deals more so with scouting NHL/AHL players, so not sure if he'll have much impact on our drafting per say.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it says he's a pro scout, which deals more so with scouting NHL/AHL players, so not sure if he'll have much impact on our drafting per say.

Yeah you're exactly right. I was just wondering what kind of impact he could have had if he was in a role more related to amateur players, given the drafting Arizona has had lately.

But hey, Yandle for Duclair, Vermette for Dahlbeck and a 1st (Merkley) is also fine by me :D

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012

Yeah he won't be part of the scouting amateurs. He will do AHL/Europe/NHL scouting. My guess is he does NHL scouting though. Look at the players we added recently. Engelland/Raymond/Bollig/Frolik/Brouwer... Honestly not very impressive. The Flames biggest problem going forward is going to be finding adequate depth to fill out the roster. Solid, cheap pieces like Byron were let go for nothing.

We got a long time NHL GM in a position of weakness managerially.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Yeah he won't be part of the scouting amateurs. He will do AHL/Europe/NHL scouting. My guess is he does NHL scouting though. Look at the players we added recently. Engelland/Raymond/Bollig/Frolik/Brouwer... Honestly not very impressive. The Flames biggest problem going forward is going to be finding adequate depth to fill out the roster. Solid, cheap pieces like Byron were let go for nothing.

Two of the bolded are not like the others.

Odd how you only included Free Agency acquisitions, and missed Johnson as well.

Free Agency is a mixed bag. Players have to want to come here.

When you include traded for players, it looks better. Still room for improvement, but I'm not sure how any fan can be unhappy with getting Dougie last draft for a song and dance, then Elliot this draft for a fair price.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015

I like the hire but I certainly don't think it's as big of a weakness as you seem to. Frolik and Brouwer are honestly very good acquisitions, even Engelland, while overpaid has actually been an ok find, it doesn't make sense to me that those three are grouped in with Raymond and Bollig.

In recent memory we've added some nice pieces via trade as well, Hamilton, Elliott, Jokipakka, and Shinkaruk have all been very solid additions.

Now I look at Hamilton, Elliott, Jokipakka, Johnson, Shinkaruk, Frolik, and Brouwer, and can't help but think all of them have been very good additions to our team. That list of unimpressive becomes much smaller should you actually not include Frolik and Brouwer, for whatever reason.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Sooooo... Doan to CGY at the deadline?

You spelled Iginla wrong.

0fc.gif

Oh right, because it's not 5 years ago.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I like the hire but I certainly don't think it's as big of a weakness as you seem to. Frolik and Brouwer are honestly very good acquisitions, even Engelland, while overpaid has actually been an ok find, it doesn't make sense to me that those three are grouped in with Raymond and Bollig.

In recent memory we've added some nice pieces via trade as well, Hamilton, Elliott, Jokipakka, and Shinkaruk have all been very solid additions.

Now I look at Hamilton, Elliott, Jokipakka, Johnson, Shinkaruk, Frolik, and Brouwer, and can't help but think all of them have been very good additions to our team. That list of unimpressive becomes much smaller should you actually not include Frolik and Brouwer, for whatever reason.

A) I don't label moves like Frolik and Brouwer good moves yet. They are significantly overpaid and likely decline from this point on. Could they be solid deals? Yes. But they also could turn out brutal if those players don't play well. Not a fan of the Chad Johnson deal, much rather go after depth guys and a cheaper backup like Ortio.

B) trades IMO are the GMs final call so he gets credit. I'm not sold on Jokkipakka yet even though I like the trade.

The biggest problem is: who did we find that was cheap since Jay Feaster? No one. Good GMs/scouting groups find a way to get some decent low cost players every year. Flames haven't done that in quite sometime.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Yeah. I am struggling to find the issue with a 40 point player, who is strong away from the puck. Making 4.3per for 4 more years.

Its not an amazing deal or anything, probably a year too long but I don't think he is 'overpaid' for what he brings.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I have absolutely no issue with the Flames paying Frolik the amount he is making.

Sub 4.5 on a 40 point two way all situation winger; perfectly fine with those numbers.
If Calgary's going to spend 4 million or so on free agents, I'm fine with the guys like Brouwer and Frolik. Both are guys who won't hurt you, and won't lose much much value in the long run.

Keep in mind, people scoffed at Hudler's 4x4 when he signed it, all he did was help us make the playoffs last year. As long as we're not giving 7 year contracts out, I'm happy with this team in FA. Or overpaying mediocre players like Engelland, Stajan or Raymond.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
I will give him time.

Hopefully he can improve his record past second round, that has been a bit of struggle in his whole career (apart from McCabe, Salo, Stone and Lindberg...MAYBE Lukowich/Tarnstrom).

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00