Confirmed with Link: Flames hire Don Maloney as Pro Scout

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Woah.jpg

Guessing Maloney's contract with the Coyotes ended and this is Treliving doing his former mentor a favour/something to do/a paycheck until he finds another GM'ing job somewhere else.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Woah.jpg

Guessing Maloney's contract with the Coyotes ended and this is Treliving doing his former mentor a favour/something to do/a paycheck until he finds another GM'ing job somewhere else.

DM was going to get 2 years of salary unless he found a different job, I believe.

I think this is a great move for Calgary, we were all pretty shocked when the Coyotes fired him. Not that Chayka hasn't been really savvy for us so far, but it was certainly unexpected.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
cropped_MaloneyFacepalm.gif

Nah, it's a good move. I just wanted to use the gif.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
DM was going to get 2 years of salary unless he found a different job, I believe.

I think this is a great move for Calgary, we were all pretty shocked when the Coyotes fired him. Not that Chayka hasn't been really savvy for us so far, but it was certainly unexpected.

Yeah my takeaway from Chayka replacing him was that Maloney wasn't necessarily doing a bad job but they just wanted to build a team with a different mind at the helm.

Chayka has been real good so far.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
While I like Maloney, this is the first real sign of the Flames hiring someone that could be considered hiring of friends so to speak. I could be overreacting. I do think Maloney will do an excellent job, but just reminds me of the old boys club mentality a little.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
While I like Maloney, this is the first real sign of the Flames hiring someone that could be considered hiring of friends so to speak.

There are at least a few that already fit that description before Maloney:

Brad Pascall / Treliving (Team Canada connection)
Ryan Huska / Treliving (Team Canada connection)
Paul Jerrard / Gulutzan (Dallas / Vancouver connections)
Ray Edwards / Treliving (Phoenix connection)
Derek MacKinnon / Treliving (Phoenix connection)

NTTAWWT

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
While I like Maloney, this is the first real sign of the Flames hiring someone that could be considered hiring of friends so to speak. I could be overreacting. I do think Maloney will do an excellent job, but just reminds me of the old boys club mentality a little.

Mostly just says that Treliving and Burke like to keep their circle tight. Nothing wrong with that in business or hockey, provided you have a good circle :laugh:. Surprised DM would take a scouting job, even at the pro level. He did well to keep that Arizona team somewhat competitive amid all the ownership issues.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
bit of an old boys club type of move, but I think it's a good example of it. Maloney is smart, and it's a pro scouting positon. It's someone Tre knows and trusts. Maybe it is a bit of doing a friend a favor, but Tre owes a lot to Maloney most likely. And it isn't like Maloney isn't qualified.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
This is a great hire. Congrats Calgary. Only issue is I doubt he lasts long. A GM spot will open up sooner or later. He was runner up for Vegas.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00