Confirmed with Link: Flames hire Don Maloney as Pro Scout

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I will give him time.

Hopefully he can improve his record past second round, that has been a bit of struggle in his whole career (apart from McCabe, Salo, Stone and Lindberg...MAYBE Lukowich/Tarnstrom).
He will be scouting AHL and NHL players for the pourpose of trades and watching upcoming opponents.

Aug 21, 2014
Maybe he was brought in to replace #truculence

GHPpxYv.jpg

Pekkas Purse

Feb 2, 2010
Woah.jpg

Guessing Maloney's contract with the Coyotes ended and this is Treliving doing his former mentor a favour/something to do/a paycheck until he finds another GM'ing job somewhere else.

Very astute observation. Maloney has been on losing causes most of career failing upward. Crony choice.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Very astute observation. Maloney has been on losing causes most of career failing upward. Crony choice.
It's not that astute at all. Teams don't hire people just to give people jobs, they do it because they think they can help the team. Yeah, Treliving worked for Maloney, but there is no way Treliving gives him a job unless he trusted him to do it because now it is his ass on the line. You can also bet your ass that Burke would nix any addition if he didn't feel it was for the good of the team.

HAKAN LOOB

Oct 5, 2013
It's not that astute at all. Teams don't hire people just to give people jobs, they do it because they think they can help the team. Yeah, Treliving worked for Maloney, but there is no way Treliving gives him a job unless he trusted him to do it because now it is his ass on the line. You can also bet your ass that Burke would nix any addition if he didn't feel it was for the good of the team.

Teams DO just give people jobs. Hockey's such a small world you try to keep whatever allies you can, in case you need a job later on.

Maloney's job scouting for the Flames, is just like the job Burke got scouting for Anaheim after getting turfed from Toronto.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Teams DO just give people jobs. Hockey's such a small world you try to keep whatever allies you can, in case you need a job later on.

Maloney's job scouting for the Flames, is just like the job Burke got scouting for Anaheim after getting turfed from Toronto.
No one is going to risk their own job just to do someone a solid. They are willing to give them the job because it can benefit the organization. Hockey is not unlike any other business, you are more likely to get the job because someone you know is willing to vouch for your abilities. If you are a **** up and incompetent, no one will put their ass on the line for you.

Fact of the matter is Maloney is more than qualified to be a pro scout, so *****ing and complaining about it makes little to no sense and comes of like looking for a reason to complain. It is not like this is a case where Treliving hired his wife's nephew and made him a pro scout, Treliving hired a proven NHL General Manager to fill the role. I don't give a **** of they have history or not, it is an excellent hire.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yeah, it definitely seems unlikely that in a field with as low job security as an NHL front office, people would willingly give jobs to buddies instead of hiring the most qualified person. It's much more likely, I'll grant you, that familiarity with someone biases your decision on who is most qualified; but that isn't the same thing.

In this case, I don't see how you can objectively feel like this is a bad hire. Maloney has recently been a successful NHL GM. He's managed to put together highly competitive teams on a tight internal budget, and he engineered a very swift and effective rebuild to set up his successor to reap the rewards.

Honestly, I think the familiarity factor here was probably more on the side of Maloney agreeing to join the Flames organization than it was the Flames agreeing to take him on. I doubt there's a team in the NHL that wouldn't value his input in a scouting role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad