GDT: Flames @ Canucks, October 3 2018, 8:00 PM Local, Sportsnet West & 360

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
@Fig we won 58% of faceoffs last night. Monahan, Backlund and Ryan were all dominant. Lindholm was bad on draws and Janko was 4/9

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
@Fig we won 58% of faceoffs last night. Monahan, Backlund and Ryan were all dominant. Lindholm was bad on draws and Janko was 4/9

Hmm... was there a specific period we weren't winning them? I seem to recall there was a lot of "And the Flames lose another draw" announcers either on the radio or something at some point. Maybe in the 2nd period or something?

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
I have a sinking feeling that I will be over Ryan sooner rather than later. Other than FO, is there anything this guy does well? Small, timid, cant win a puck battle, no speed or shot to speak of. Dude is as vanilla as it gets.

Ty Dolla

Jan 1, 2018
Giving up 2 points to Pacific division rivals every year right off the bat is more guaranteed in October than Halloween - Signed your Calgary Flames

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Hmm... was there a specific period we weren't winning them? I seem to recall there was a lot of "And the Flames lose another draw" announcers either on the radio or something at some point. Maybe in the 2nd period or something?
First period iirc. They were losing tons of draws early in the game.

Reactions: Fig

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
at least derek ryan got lots of ice time to show off his letestu-esque skillset

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
We were 11/24 in the first. 7/13 in the second. 15/19 in the third

Reactions: Fig

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
lol fair enough but peters love ryan and will play him WAY more than he should.
This narrative is getting old. It is simply UNTRUE. In Carolina last year, Ryan (among forwards) was 8th in TOI, 8th in PP TOI and 8th in production iirc. pretty much bang on for a 3rd liner. But keep spouting false narratives rather than educating yourself and knowing the real story

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
lol fair enough but peters love ryan and will play him WAY more than he should.

Eh, it could be worse. We've had over usages of Bartkowski, Brouwer and Chiasson by Gully in previous years. Ryan at least is able to contribute more than those guys did which helps to ensure the 3M line isn't driven into the ground due to over deployment. Worst case scenario, it's just one guy who is overused as opposed to multiple guys overused.

I do think the Oilers should have easily been able to curb stomp DEL something like 13-2 or something, but I'm wondering if they were just putting on a show for the crowd. Playing for the entertainment for it as well as playing not to get hurt.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
This narrative is getting old. It is simply UNTRUE. In Carolina last year, Ryan (among forwards) was 8th in TOI, 8th in PP TOI and 8th in production iirc. pretty much bang on for a 3rd liner. But keep spouting false narratives rather than educating yourself and knowing the real story

I don't think he's completely wrong on that statement. I seem to recall reading that the issue for Ryan in Carolina wasn't that he was played to much in TOI, but that he was deployed all over the lines in ways that some fans felt were unreasonable.

Reactions: HankAnger

Ty Dolla

Jan 1, 2018
Eh, it could be worse. We've had over usages of Bartkowski, Brouwer and Chiasson by Gully in previous years. Ryan at least is able to contribute more than those guys did which helps to ensure the 3M line isn't driven into the ground due to over deployment. Worst case scenario, it's just one guy who is overused as opposed to multiple guys overused.

I do think the Oilers should have easily been able to curb stomp DEL something like 13-2 or something, but I'm wondering if they were just putting on a show for the crowd. Playing for the entertainment for it as well as playing not to get hurt.

Pretty sure they still played Mcdavid like 30 mins trying to win that game.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Pretty sure they still played Mcdavid like 30 mins trying to win that game.

Don't photo shoots usually take longer than 15-20 minutes? Oilers might have been trying to make sure the photographers and video graphers had enough time to get used to CMD's speed so that they could take pictures that weren't too blurry and showed CMD's good side. ;)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't think he's completely wrong on that statement. I seem to recall reading that the issue for Ryan in Carolina wasn't that he was played to much in TOI, but that he was deployed all over the lines in ways that some fans felt were unreasonable.
wait you mean to tell me that when a coach juggles his lines, guys will play all over? You see this complaining from every fanbase, they get the idea that a player is a coaches favorite and it snowballs well beyond the reality.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I have a sinking feeling that I will be over Ryan sooner rather than later. Other than FO, is there anything this guy does well?

He must give Peters shoes a great shine because that is about the only reason that Peters continue to overplay him.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
wait you mean to tell me that when a coach juggles his lines, guys will play all over? You see this complaining from every fanbase, they get the idea that a player is a coaches favorite and it snowballs well beyond the reality.

Splitting hairs, but I'm just saying it could be more than just TOI in terms of the "over played". I'm just saying I seem to recall Canes fans' complaints of Ryan along the lines of him dragging guys like Aho down (ie: Chiasson), not that he was getting too much ice time (ie: Brouwer).

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I just a replay of the fight in the article from the other thread two things came to mind:

a. Gudbranson looked so much bigger than Hamonic. I did not realize he was that big. Hamonic is not exactly a small guy but he looked way smaller than Gudbranson.

b. The fight and knockdown was not nearly as bad as opposing (mainly Oiler fans) made it seem. I mean Gudbranson clearly caught him and hurt him but I was expecting a Kypreos style punch and drop lights out. It wasn't nearly as bad as they made it out to be but I guess I should have expected that given the source.

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016
Sanheim and Gudas were far and away our best defense pairing that period.

I expect to see them being deployed even less than they were that period.

Wouldnt even be surprised to see one of them benched next game.

Sorry wrong thread

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Sanheim and Gudas were far and away our best defense pairing that period.

I expect to see them being deployed even less than they were that period.

Wouldnt even be surprised to see one of them benched next game.

Sorry wrong thread

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad