Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Dube-Ryan-Neal
Bennett-Jankowski-Czarnik

Giordano-Brodie
Hanifin-Hamonic
Valimaki-Stone

Smith
Rittich

The hockey season is finally upon us folks after a long spring and summer. This years roster includes 7 new players. Ya... seven! That's 35% of the lineup. Big changes these past 3 months.

Vancouver's roster, with the exception of their first line (Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser) is a bit of a tire fire. But that's probably ok with most Canuck fans as they want to go all in for the 2019 Hughes summer sweepstakes.

Predictions: I predict a 5-2 win for the Flames with Sean Monahan scoring the first goal of the season, assisted by Lindholm. Monahan is going to have a huge year this season and will finally get the recognition that he deserves as one of the league's elite centers.

I look for this season opener win to be the first of many this year, ultimately carrying the Flames into the playoffs and a strong contention for the Cup.

Reactions: Sk8M8

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
oops... when I started to create this GDT there wasn't one on the board at the time.... it took me a while to get it done because of interuptions… if a mod wants to delete it... its good with me... or merge it with DDD's thread?

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
The depth is night and day better on paper than this time last year.. I could see each player on that 3rd line with 40+ points and the 4th line should be around there to. I'm hoping for bigger years from Johnny and Money.. but you have to wonder if they will be getting a bit less ice time this year.. depending on how the other lines preform.

This season is really riding on Smith, which is kind of scary.. Wish we picked up Pickard.

Reactions: Volica

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Very excited with the changes in the lineup lines 3&4 look legitimately dangerous so hopefully we’ll score more than 2 goals Gaudreau isn’t in on this October

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Goaltending is the only gaping hole on this roster. Hopefully Smitty gets back to last seasons.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Goaltending is the only gaping hole on this roster. Hopefully Smitty gets back to last seasons.
I have faith.

However it does seem to me that some of Smith's problems are a result of his frequent wandering from the net to play the puck. Not all the time but a few times is more than enough... then he's scrambling to get back in position and one shot leads to another and before you know it, the puck is in the net.
Perhaps the Flames could do like they do in baseball when the ball is hit into the infield... one player calls "I got it!" and the other player backs off to let the caller make the play

I could see Gio doing this to Smith when it looks like Smith might get into trouble by trying to play the puck. Gio makes the call and Smith backs off and heads back to his net. Communication. Easier to see whats happening when you're not in the middle of it. Smith's decision making process when it comes to whether or not to play the puck outside his crease, sometimes is not the best.

I don't know.. just a thought. Might be a stupid one... but its only an idea... not a life or death idea. Anyone who thinks its stupid... relax... don't get your panties in a knot.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Lesssssssss go!

Been waiting for this day since April :naughty:

Gotta start off the season strong and take advantage of Vancouver x2 before playing in Nashville.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I have no problem with pinning a GDT. Makes it easier to find.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Remember the days when players weren't allowed to have sex the night before a game? LOL
No video games? Probably a good idea. Those things can become addictive resulting in players staying up all hours of the night staring at a computer monitor... kind of like hockey message boards.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

Smith should slash his ankles. Teach that young whippersnapper a lesson. :sarcasm:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

Lets go Flames. 8:00 pm can't come soon enough! Its going to be a long day.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

I wonder why? He's not in tonight's lineup?

Because the scratches travel with the team due to potential injury or illness. I believe they even take the morning skate. Not sure how this would surprise anyone, especially someone that has covered the team first a while like she has.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad