GDT: Flames @ Avs: Battle for the Basement Edition - April 8 @ 7:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
There's no choice left but to laugh at our own team. We go round and round pointing out the problems but until management does anything we've got nothing left to talk about in all honesty.

If we're going to suck, we'd rather at least get something positive out of it as fans. But you can bet your ass 99.9% of us would have fired Sacco twenty games ago if we could have.

No i totally get it, trust me we all mock our team as well. My point was it is sad that both fanbases have been left with the choice of mocking their team or becoming enraged by incompetence.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I bet you're a blast at parties.

Almost every post was sarcasm, get off your high horse.
that's ******** and you know it. there have been a large group of Flames fans wanting the team to lose games for a long time now for nothing more than the sake of a higher draft pick. People need to learn to have some pride for a change, not that this is a new phenomena, people haven't shown pride at anything for years, that's why it's so difficult to find good employees.

I'm not pointing the finger at you, but there is enough people that want to lose that it is sad.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
that's ******** and you know it. there have been a large group of Flames fans wanting the team to lose games for a long time now for nothing more than the sake of a higher draft pick. People need to learn to have some pride for a change, not that this is a new phenomena, people haven't shown pride at anything for years, that's why it's so difficult to find good employees.

I'm not pointing the finger at you, but there is enough people that want to lose that it is sad.

A lot of this has to do with the NHL's pathetic way of rewarding teams with high draft picks because they suck. The Oilers finish 30th 30th and 29th and they get the first overall pick 3 times in a row. No wonder they're cheering for their team to lose they have one of the worst GMs in the league and their still loaded with talent because of all their lottery picks they "earned" from being a basement team all those years. Im glad that the NHL introduced a new system where every team out of the playoffs can win the lottery and I hope they go even further in giving every team in the bottom 5 (or whatever) an equal shot at winning the lottery because what they are doing right now is just stupid and the NHL is starting to see it (finally).

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
A lot of this has to do with the NHL's pathetic way of rewarding teams with high draft picks because they suck. The Oilers finish 30th 30th and 29th and they get the first overall pick 3 times in a row. No wonder they're cheering for their team to lose they have one of the worst GMs in the league and their still loaded with talent because of all their lottery picks they "earned" from being a basement team all those years. Im glad that the NHL introduced a new system where every team out of the playoffs can win the lottery and I hope they go even further in giving every team in the bottom 5 (or whatever) an equal shot at winning the lottery because what they are doing right now is just stupid and the NHL is starting to see it (finally).
I agree, and I am excited to see what changes happen in the lottery odds next year.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB

Point some fingers, then. I would love to know which of these fans that took part last night actually wanted to see the team lose last night? Most of the people I saw posting (Flames fans, anyway) were disgraced by the game against Edmonton last week, and I'm sure they don't want the team to lose on purpose... So please, clarify who those people are.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Point some fingers, then. I would love to know which of these fans that took part last night actually wanted to see the team lose last night? Most of the people I saw posting (Flames fans, anyway) were disgraced by the game against Edmonton last week, and I'm sure they don't want the team to lose on purpose... So please, clarify who those people are.
its not just last night, it's always. all you have to do it read. it's gotten better though since i have upped the number of flames fans on my ignore list to close to 20 by now.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
I'm not gonna lie, last night was the first time in my life that I didn't want the Flames to win. Like AT ALL. Beating the last place Avs means NOTHING. NOTHING!!!! All it means is we may not get the lottery pick and we found out we actually aren't the worst team in the league. No offence Avs fans.

I ALWAYS cheer to win, but knowing losing mean more for the future, it's a win/win situation going into every game. I've never been so relaxed watching the Flames. :laugh: Normally I'm ripping my hair out or jumping up and down like a wild man when we score. This year I can finally relax. It's nice. :)

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I'm not gonna lie, last night was the first time in my life that I didn't want the Flames to win. Like AT ALL. Beating the last place Avs means NOTHING. NOTHING!!!! All it means is we may not get the lottery pick and we found out we actually aren't the worst team in the league. No offence Avs fans.

I ALWAYS cheer to win, but knowing losing mean more for the future, it's a win/win situation going into every game. I've never been so relaxed watching the Flames. :laugh: Normally I'm ripping my hair out or jumping up and down like a wild man when we score. This year I can finally relax. It's nice. :)

This is how I feel too the past couple of games, just watching and seeing. Its been nice seeing the young guys play though.

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
AH, the people who's pride you should be questioning are in the Flames dressing room, not the fans who are cheering for a top pick. It's not us who couldn't put a 3 game winning streak together this season, or failed to show up when it mattered.

I have absolutely no issue admitting that I was hoping they'd lose last night and for the rest of the season (with the exception of when we play the Oilers or Canucks). Why should we be hoping for wins? So we can feel pride in them finishing 9th? Every game from this point on, to me anyways, is about the future, not this season.

Best case scenario to me going forward for the rest of the season is the young kids playing well, and us drafting in the top 3.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
Nobody is cheering to blow the season, because the season is already blown. If Calgary was still in contention and people were cheering for a loss, that would be completely different. Other fans have done that, but Calgary fans don't.

Right now it's just about making the most out of a bad situation.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I am confident to say there was a point of time I wanted this team to lose. If it's the only way the team realizes it can't compete and stops spinning its wheels... If losing a ton was the only way to get a change in culture started; I was all for it.

After the California road trip, I was hoping for loses to pile up. I DID NOT want this team to win a couple and think it had a chance in hell for a playoff appearance/run. Once they started to change their mentality, I was all for cheering again. I know full well this team blows right now, and I could cheer for them to win all of their game; and know fully well we only maybe have 2-4 more wins left in us this season. I would never root against this team, and hope for losing; but if that's the only way Calgary will be relevant again in a few years, I'm all for it.

Some people really need to come down off their high horses.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yea you're right. We should win the rest of our games and finish 9th again. A lot of good that'll ****ing do us. Clown.

Don't ever talk about me not being a true fan. It's called "BIGGER PICTURE." Open your eyes. :shakehead
No true fan will cheer for their team to lose. None.

There is a difference between accepting the team sucks and knowing they won't finish out of the bottom 5 and wanting it to happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net

There is a difference between accepting the team sucks and knowing they won't finish out of the bottom 5 and wanting it to happen.

This is ****ing sickening.
I ALWAYS cheer to win, but knowing losing mean more for the future, it's a win/win situation going into every game.

Care to continue beaking off?

And it appears to me you're a Heat and Jays fan. NO TRUE FAN cheers for any other team!! EVER!!!

See what I did there?

Hows that high horse you're riding on?

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary

This is ****ing sickening.

So your hoping them to win out the season after they played like absolute **** for the majority of the season, resulting in them to trade two core pieces?

Zoombie

Oct 28, 2011
Why should I leave? It appears someone needs to stick around and actually cheer for the team.

I also would prefer if you didn't leave because you give valuable insight on Heat players.

I don't cheer for the Flames to lose, because they can handle that just fine on their own. But the Colorado GDT swap thing was pretty funny. It was a neat reversal-in-homerism experiment haha.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Care to continue beaking off?

And it appears to me you're a Heat and Jays fan. NO TRUE FAN cheers for any other team!! EVER!!!

See what I did there?

Hows that high horse you're riding on?
Maybe you should stop contradicting yourself.

Yes cheering for a baseball team and cheering for the Flames farm team is exactly the same as cheering for the Avalanche to beat the Flames :help:

So your hoping them to win out the season after they played like absolute **** for the majority of the season, resulting in them to trade two core pieces?
Do I hope they will win out? Of course I do. Any fan would.

But will they? No. They just aren't that good.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary

Yes cheering for a baseball team and cheering for the Flames farm team is exactly the same as cheering for the Avalanche to beat the Flames :help:

What part of "it was a joke" did you not understand the first time?

Because, seriously... it was a joke.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net

Well whatever man. I wasn't here for that but it looked like fun. I would never cheer for the Avs but I just wasn't mad if we lost. Preferred it frankly.

Anyways I don't need to explain myself to you. Keep hoping we finish 9th. Have fun with that.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

For some it was for some it wasn't. I understand both sides of the argument, on one hand some fans want the best possible pick. On the other hand some fans can't not cheer for their team to win regardless of what that means at the draft. I think Abb Heat is taking it to far but we saw the Oilers just a few years ago not only accept losing but cheer for it and it created a losing culture around the team that they still trying to break.

I think most here are "true fans" what ever that is as we are all die hard enough to post here, it is just a difference in philosophies between fans, both sides can claim to be right but the truth is neither is wrong.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

maybe you thought it was a joke and maybe some other did too. but look at the garbage below. So called fans proclaiming they did not want the Flames to win.

AH, the people who's pride you should be questioning are in the Flames dressing room, not the fans who are cheering for a top pick. It's not us who couldn't put a 3 game winning streak together this season, or failed to show up when it mattered.

I have absolutely no issue admitting that I was hoping they'd lose last night and for the rest of the season (with the exception of when we play the Oilers or Canucks). Why should we be hoping for wins? So we can feel pride in them finishing 9th? Every game from this point on, to me anyways, is about the future, not this season.

Best case scenario to me going forward for the rest of the season is the young kids playing well, and us drafting in the top 3.

I am confident to say there was a point of time I wanted this team to lose. If it's the only way the team realizes it can't compete and stops spinning its wheels... If losing a ton was the only way to get a change in culture started; I was all for it.

After the California road trip, I was hoping for loses to pile up. I DID NOT want this team to win a couple and think it had a chance in hell for a playoff appearance/run. Once they started to change their mentality, I was all for cheering again. I know full well this team blows right now, and I could cheer for them to win all of their game; and know fully well we only maybe have 2-4 more wins left in us this season. I would never root against this team, and hope for losing; but if that's the only way Calgary will be relevant again in a few years, I'm all for it.

Some people really need to come down off their high horses.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Lol. Get off your high horse. You're no better or worse of a fan than any of us.

You're absolutely pathetic for thinking that you're better than anyone on an online forum. The door's open. Welcome to leave. No one will miss your condescending tone or your sad attempt at trying to make yourself look better than anyone.
I don't need to make myself look better than anyone. People make themselves look bad enough where I don't have to do anything.

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Thank you all for proving my point. What a sad excuse for a fan base.

Yeah you're such a better fan than the rest of us, we get it. Yay mediocrity, right? :laugh:

Keep cheering for that almighty 9th place so you can brag to Oilers fans that the Flames were not dead last. Personally, I'd rather the Flames walk out of this miserable season with something we haven't been able to get in years - a legit franchise center.

Last edited:

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary

No they probably won't win out, but it doesn't do any good for the franchise if they did. I doubt people are cheering for them to lose (cheering when the other team scores), hoping and cheering are two different things. I hope they lose more games then win down the stretch but I still want them to give an honest effort. When it comes down to it everyone wants a franchise player, winning a bunch of games down the stretch and drafting 6 - 10 isn't going to do us any good. Unless your content with floating in 9-12 position year after year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad