Rumor: Flames are after Corban Knight

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
I think that's all that matters. We're going to need another centre this year. I think it's great that we'll be able to field more players that are actually going to be part of the plan for the future, as opposed to plugging them with older rentals. Besides, before you knock the importance of third line centres, this guy could be Marchand.

I strongly dislike Marchand. He's the reason I don't cheer for the Bruins. :laugh:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
That's selling him short. I'd take the next coming of Stephane Yelle over that goof with the puck in Edmonton

So wait.
I say he'll make a good third line grinder, and someone maybe worth having going forward; then you compare him to the perfect description of a third line defensive grinder and tell me I'm selling him short?

Also, in Calgary we have a hard time figuring this out with prospects. It's nice to have these role player guys... but man, it's high time we start getting some of these center piece guys. I'd rather have the 'goof' in Edmonton that I could anchor my defensive core around his offensive upside (and the defensive side to come), rather than the role player that I still need to find 2 guys to play in front of him to truly be successful.
Just my opinion. I don't want to sell anyone short; but I like to try and call it the way it is.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
I'd rather have Schultz too but we're not getting him, so we may as well go after this guy. We don't have top end players but we don't have great depth guys either. Who's our checking center going forward? It's not Backlund and it's sure as hell not Stajan. This guy is 58% in the faceoff circle in his NCAA career. He's big, he's got motor, he's got a good shot, and he's got great hockey sense.

We need all types of players if we're going to contend again. He's not going to be 'the guy' but he can be one among a bunch of guys that help us play solid, competitive hockey.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Corban's father (Jack) works for the Calgary Flames and Calgary Stampeders and acts as the sports chaplain for both clubs. That would be Corban's connection to Calgary as Stauffer mentioned. Not sure if it will pull any weight in his decision, but you have to think that it may.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
If he lets his (ultimately irrational) team fandom affect the most important decision of his hockey career to date, he's a dumbass. For a guy in his position the thing that should matter the most is to establish himself as an NHL player. With the sad C depth the Flames have, Calgary is the place to do that. I'm sure his agent has told him this as well.

A 5th rounder for his negotiation rights? I'd be OK with that, given that he signs of course.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
If he lets his (ultimately irrational) team fandom affect the most important decision of his hockey career to date, he's a dumbass. For a guy in his position the thing that should matter the most is to establish himself as an NHL player. With the sad C depth the Flames have, Calgary is the place to do that. I'm sure his agent has told him this as well.

A 5th rounder for his negotiation rights? I'd be OK with that, given that he signs of course.

I'm also guessing that his father has told him not to get his fandom in the way. ho well, the post was from two years ago, so maybe things have changed. Plus, the post has been deleted.

Last edited:

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I'd rather have Schultz too but we're not getting him, so we may as well go after this guy. We don't have top end players but we don't have great depth guys either. Who's our checking center going forward? It's not Backlund and it's sure as hell not Stajan. This guy is 58% in the faceoff circle in his NCAA career. He's big, he's got motor, he's got a good shot, and he's got great hockey sense.

We need all types of players if we're going to contend again. He's not going to be 'the guy' but he can be one among a bunch of guys that help us play solid, competitive hockey.

Exactly what the flames need, get it done feaster.

saillias

Sep 6, 2004
Calgary
So wait.
I say he'll make a good third line grinder, and someone maybe worth having going forward; then you compare him to the perfect description of a third line defensive grinder and tell me I'm selling him short?

Also, in Calgary we have a hard time figuring this out with prospects. It's nice to have these role player guys... but man, it's high time we start getting some of these center piece guys. I'd rather have the 'goof' in Edmonton that I could anchor my defensive core around his offensive upside (and the defensive side to come), rather than the role player that I still need to find 2 guys to play in front of him to truly be successful.
Just my opinion. I don't want to sell anyone short; but I like to try and call it the way it is.

Ok. I agree with you on the importance of high end prospects, I would take MacKinnon over our three first rounders

Now come on, Justin Schultz has real chemistry with the Flames forwards, no need to bash.

:laugh:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Can't see him coming here if he hates Calgary. He will probably sign with the Canucks, we never luck out on this kind of stuff. All the kids who like the Flames get drafted 1st overall.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I strongly dislike Marchand. He's the reason I don't cheer for the Bruins. :laugh:

What makes Marchand hated by 29 fanbases is the same thing that makes him beloved by the Bruins' fans, and the same thing that makes him an extremely effective player. That's the kind of guy who can swing a championship run.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011

This post sums it up pretty well. This is the most important decision in his life. Calgary should open doors for his career.

Side note: Mason Raymond was a huge Flames fan growing up, but all that changes when you get drafted/or sign on with another team.

volley44

May 2, 2013
Is it just me or is this going to be a lot bigger than Corbin Night for a conditional pick? I think it could be part of moving up in the draft as well.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm also guessing that his father has told him not to get his fandom in the way. ho well, the post was from two years ago, so maybe things have changed. Plus, the post has been deleted.
I think the post being deleted says more than the post originally being there. I assume it was deleted within the past 24 hours?

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
This post sums it up pretty well. This is the most important decision in his life. Calgary should open doors for his career.

Side note: Mason Raymond was a huge Flames fan growing up, but all that changes when you get drafted/or sign on with another team.

I'm still hoping he signs with us as a UFA regardless of our LW depth.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=674377

done deal. I assume a contract will be announced shortly

"We were able to consummate the trade today with Florida, and are confident we will get Corban signed when permitted in July."

Still...

1tumblr_lgp6q5NhE21qcjtu8o1_500.gif

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=674377

done deal. I assume a contract will be announced shortly

Well I'm glad we didn't just poach him. The NHL needs to close the loophole on drafted college players. They shouldn't be UFA's until they're 25. Stops guys like Schultz from pulling a Lindros. A 4th is significant though. I would have rather they dealt a prospect who needed a new home back. Nemisz would have been perfect. That said, I would draft Knight in the 3rd round easily so the value is there. Knight likely gets a job ahead of Reinhart though, which I like since I didn't think Max was ready at the end of last year in his stint.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Well I'm glad we didn't just poach him. The NHL needs to close the loophole on drafted college players. They shouldn't be UFA's until they're 25. Stops guys like Schultz from pulling a Lindros. A 4th is significant though. I would have rather they dealt a prospect who needed a new home back. Nemisz would have been perfect. That said, I would draft Knight in the 3rd round easily so the value is there.
they hold a college players rights for 4 years, it's not exactly a loophole. The only advantage Schultz got was he became a UFA a month and a half earlier than other college players.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
they hold a college players rights for 4 years, it's not exactly a loophole. The only advantage Schultz got was he became a UFA a month and a half earlier than other college players.

They hold a college players rights for less than 4 months, not 4 years. I'm sure you know they lose eligibility the second they sign with an NHL club. I'd like to see a 2 year window after they leave school. Make it cost them something to be a UFA.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Not really. They lose their eligibility if they sign an NHL contract, in reality NHL teams have a series of small windows in which they can usually sign a College player.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
They hold a college players rights for less than 4 months, not 4 years. I'm sure you know they lose eligibility the second they sign with an NHL club. I'd like to see a 2 year window after they leave school. Make it cost them something to be a UFA.
I understand the logistics, but they can talk to the player while in school and even encourage them to go pro. They have more than enough time to figure out if a player will sign.

And it's not difficult to sign a player to an ELC, there is strict framework in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad