GDT: FLAMES (27-21-12) vs. BRUINS (46-8-5) | 7 p.m. MT | TV: Sportsnet | RADIO: Sportsnet 960 The FAN

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
giphy.gif

I just... I just can't even

BRobMint

Formerly known as Hockey Ninja
Apr 24, 2013
Cleveland, OH (Grew up in Calgary)
Maybe markstrom build off this game, he made some key saves
I said this after the Habs game he stood on his head in, and then he proceeded to continue to be inconsistent afterwards. I think we just need to accept that Marky at this point is a streaky goalie who can make big saves and have great games, but he doesn't play at a high level consistently enough to be a #1 on a contending team

Reactions: 23Monahan

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I don't have a lot to say on this one other than wtf but I thought Weegar was a beast tonight.
Zadorov assumes a lot of fault for the tieing goal definitely but are we just not going to talk about Chris "best defensive dman in the league" letting that pass go right through him?

I feel like a Bruins fan and an Oilers fan having an argument in a Flames GDT is a little weird. ;)

No please continue. Would go with our theme this year.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I don't have a lot to say on this one other than wtf but I thought Weegar was a beast tonight.
Zadorov assumes a lot of fault for the tieing goal definitely but are we just not going to talk about Chris "best defensive dman in the league" letting that pass go right through him?

No please continue. Would go with our theme this year.
What’s the theme?

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
I said this after the Habs game he stood on his head in, and then he proceeded to continue to be inconsistent afterwards. I think we just need to accept that Marky at this point is a streaky goalie who can make big saves and have great games, but he doesn't play at a high level consistently enough to be a #1 on a contending team
Goalies are voodoo. Bobrovsky went from an anchor, to a huge boon to Florida’s president trophy season last year, to bad again this season. Shestorkin went from best goalie in the league to painfully average this year. Demko as well. Campbell went from best goalie in the league to worst in the course of one season. It’s just as likely Markstrom wins the Vezina next year as it is the Flames seriously considering buying him out by the end of next season. One things for sure though, there’s no way Calgary gets league worst goaltending two years in a row.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
If this isn't an indication to start selling... :laugh:

Jim Montgomery Burned

... And there's a pic in the main GDT, the digital boards covered in 73s before Bruins #73 scored. Hockey gods laughed for sure.

Reactions: Boomstick

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
Thought this as well. Stood there like he got a massive brainfreeze and did nothing - not even try to block the shot let alone the pass.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
I think the pressure got to Vlad ever since sutter decided hes gonna start him over markstrom. He's been trash ever since markstrom blew it against Ottawa.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Gonna say this as an Oilers fan.

Bruins should’ve gotten 0 points in Alberta. Instead they get 4.

They’re gonna get upset in Round 1.
One can only hope. I thought this would be their down year with guys aging, nope all time great. Wtf

Reactions: Fig

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
It's funny. We have consistently shown that we can hang with and quite frankly outplay any team in this league at five on five, but there is just some sort of mental block going on here - especially with our two goaltenders. This team completely lacks confidence in one another, and I truly believe Darryl has dropped the ball massively in terms of his roster management. They truly are not that far off which is the most confusing part of it all and makes this season the most frustrating year I have ever had as a fan.

This team should be leading the division with ease, yet will likely not even sniff the playoffs. That's a tough pill to swallow.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
I know the Sutter cultists will hate this but the team needs a coaching change. They're too tense, too negative, and clearly thinking too much. Perfect example is that sequence yesterday where all four Flames around the net froze and let the Bruins player walk in and get a grade A chance against Markstrom. The players are very clearly spending too much time thinking about what they need to do instead of just going out and doing it.

Sutter's schtick works when winning but becomes unbearably toxic when losing. But as is Flames tradition, they'll sell low on the players, then fire the coach, and then finally lament as the players thrive elsewhere.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I know the Sutter cultists will hate this but the team needs a coaching change. They're too tense, too negative, and clearly thinking too much. Perfect example is that sequence yesterday where all four Flames around the net froze and let the Bruins player walk in and get a grade A chance against Markstrom. The players are very clearly spending too much time thinking about what they need to do instead of just going out and doing it.

Sutter's schtick works when winning but becomes unbearably toxic when losing. But as is Flames tradition, they'll sell low on the players, then fire the coach, and then finally lament as the players thrive elsewhere.

I think blaming Sutter is silly, and I'm not an apologist

Last year's Flames were at 7th in 5v5 scoring at 2.97 with the best top line in the NHL in Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk and an elite #1 defenseman in Kylington
This year's Flames are 10th in 5v5 scoring at 2.72 without Kylington, Gaudreau, or Tkachuk. Huberdeau, Kadri, and Weegar are each massive downgrades.

This team's shitty powerplay is due to the personel.
This team's shitty goaltending is due to the personel. Not just Markstrom and Vladar, but also the fact that we lost our top defenseman, who erased odd-man rushes single-handedly with his elite, impeccable checking.

Is Sutter doing the best job possible? Maybe not. Considering the goaltending struggles, maybe another coach would have changes strategies to collapse to the middle more at the expense of possession, but I don't think that's the answer, it's a band-aid. I won't fault Sutter for not applying a band-aid.

Do I think Sutter could do a better job yes and his mismanagement of Ruzicka and Phillips is beyond frustrating but this season overall is not on him.

Tre just put together a roster with zero chemistry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad