GDT: FLAMES (19-14-8) @ BLUES (20-18-3) | 6 p.m. MT | TV: Sportsnet West | RADIO: Sportsnet 960

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I think he walks in free agency to a contender. Definitely put him out there and see what we can get back.

This team has to win 10 in a row or lose 10 in a row. One or the other. Keep shitting the bed, or start kicking some ass.

He'd probably fetch a nice price. So would Hanifin.

Flames have to look at the Dallas Stars as their new blueprint to success. We've got some aging good players(Huberdeau, Kadri, Weegar, Backs, Coleman, Markstrom, Tanev) that are here kind of no matter what just like they do(Benn, Seguin, Pavelski). You have to supplement a lineup like that with speed, skill, and youth like the Stars have(Johntson, Robertson, Oettinger, Stankoven, Hintz, Bourque).

Never before has drafting and developing been so important in the franchise's history. You also have to give the youth a real chance to make an impact. I'm a Darryl fan but if he just flat out refuses to do that then he's not the coach for us.

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby
We've won 19 and lost 23. I think that fact gets missed because we're 5 games over fake .500 w our 9 loser points. Not a good club. Not an awful club, but certainly not a playoff round winning team. I don't believe we'll make a big trade at all. If we do trade hanifin I expect him to activate suddenly 4-5 x a game more and end up being a capable 55-60 pt high end d. It'll be glorious.

Reactions: Tofveve

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
It's annoying because Kylington/Valimaki should have made Hanifin expendable but one's in Arizona and the other is unavailable for personal reasons.

And now the clock is ticking on another American's contract while we plod along at a wild card pace with Nashville breathing down our necks..

Calgarypuck is nearly unanimous in wanting Treliving to stay on, but does he really deserve more time? Obviously the worry is that the Sutter sphere of influence is too great but that shouldn't be the reason we persist with more ridiculous asset management from Brad

Reactions: Boomstick

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Honestly I prefer a 1% shot at Bedard than going to the playoffs with Markstrom.

It’s a guarantee he pooped his pants when he see McDrai or MacK/Makar when the game is on the line

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
It's annoying because Kylington/Valimaki should have made Hanifin expendable but one's in Arizona and the other is unavailable for personal reasons.

And now the clock is ticking on another American's contract while we plod along at a wild card pace with Nashville breathing down our necks..

Calgarypuck is nearly unanimous in wanting Treliving to stay on, but does he really deserve more time? Obviously the worry is that the Sutter sphere of influence is too great but that shouldn't be the reason we persist with more ridiculous asset management from Brad

Brad gets way too much of a pass lol. Guy has done some alright moves with his back against the wall, but his overall asset management sucks dick.

Way too many picks pissed away to “win now”. We’ve been trying to “win now” since 2015 and looks where it has gotten us…

BRobMint

Formerly known as Hockey Ninja
Apr 24, 2013
Cleveland, OH (Grew up in Calgary)
Even Friedman is now calling out Sutter

BD1803C8-3690-4AB6-8DDD-98A15EDBA789.jpeg

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
This tbh. Kadri is pretty much a better Sam Bennett and he complements Huby's style well with how he can handle the puck and gain the zone

Yeah Kadri is a better Sam Bennett ...checks notes...by 5 points over 42 games. For double the money. Bennett is far from perfect but i dont remember him ever dogging as much as Kadri did in the 3rd + the pathetic back check on the OT winner.

Lucic pathetic effort on the offside 'goal' - if Ruzicka did that he wouldnt play another game. But Looch is the guy, get him out there the next shift.

This team is starting to be quite unlikeable, from the Coach down.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
The problems with Sutter hockey:

- the guy he trusts can not do it anymore
- with Markstrom, it’s impossible to defend any lead.
- his skilled players (Huberdeau, Mangi, Kadri and Lindholm) are underperforming and frankly lack skills

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
to be fair...this is exactly the team i thought it would be when they decided to continue the build from the winger out model by extending Huberdeau.
Gaudreau and Tkachuk leaving should have been the trigger to reset with Huberdeau and Weegar flipped to get them the future assets needed to quickly reset and Kadri not signed allowing the Flames a chance to rehabilitate Monahan and flip him for an asset as opposed to giving a 1st away.
Instead Treliving doubled down on a flawed roster and this team will be in for a world of cap hurt

the funny thing is I think Treliving is going to get turfed because he did what ownership wanted and Huberdeau will ask for a trade cause he is not and never will be a Sutter player.

Reactions: 23Monahan

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Brad gets way too much of a pass lol. Guy has done some alright moves with his back against the wall, but his overall asset management sucks dick.

Way too many picks pissed away to “win now”. We’ve been trying to “win now” since 2015 and looks where it has gotten us…
I firmly believe that anyone but Brad would have done the same tbh. That's just what our ownership wants. Not excluding Brad entirely, but I really think that's just what we're stuck with even if Brad goes

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
The story of our season - Self inflicted wounds.

Markstrom has started 14 games since the start of December, and during that time he has faced a team currently in a playoff position just once. He has lost 9 of those 14 starts. His SV% is just under .900 (which is shockingly an improvement on his season as a whole)

Dan Vladar in his 12 starts on the year has faced a team that is currently in a playoff position 9 times. He has a 6-3-3 record in those games.

Darryl is blatantly and continuously mishandling key aspects of this roster and it's getting incredibly tiresome. "Be happy with a point on the road" eh? What a shit mindset to have in a game you should win 99/100 times.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
The story of our season - Self inflicted wounds.

Markstrom has started 14 games since the start of December, and during that time he has faced a team currently in a playoff position just once. He has lost 9 of those 14 starts. His SV% is just under .900 (which is shockingly an improvement on his season as a whole)

Dan Vladar in his 12 starts on the year has faced a team that is currently in a playoff position 9 times. He has a 6-3-3 record in those games.

Darryl is blatantly and continuously mishandling key aspects of this roster and it's getting incredibly tiresome. "Be happy with a point on the road" eh? What a shit mindset to have in a game you should win 99/100 times.
I mean wins is a pretty poor way of assessing how a goalie is playing, considering they can only control how many goals are allowed, not scored by your team. For example, during both those time periods you listed, Markstrom has a 2.61 GAA while Vladar has a 2.76 GAA on the season. Markstrom is quite literally letting in less pucks than Vladar and getting compensated with less wins.

However, If you want to discuss Markstrom’s proclivity for letting in back breaking goals this year that’s a very fair point.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
It's not that complicated. Markstrom's tendency for back breaking and softies means the players in front of him start compensating and playing differently. Hence the Vladar getting more run support because the guys still trust him to make that big save. There's clearly no similar trust in Markstrom this year.

And the fact that Sutter can't see this or can and is ignoring it is just bizarre. His stubbornness & pride is sinking the season.

23Monahan

Jul 2, 2018
I mean wins is a pretty poor way of assessing how a goalie is playing, considering they can only control how many goals are allowed, not scored by your team. For example, during both those time periods you listed, Markstrom has a 2.61 GAA while Vladar has a 2.76 GAA on the season. Markstrom is quite literally letting in less pucks than Vladar and getting compensated with less wins.

However, If you want to discuss Markstrom’s proclivity for letting in back breaking goals this year that’s a very fair point.
Markstroms last 15 games, only 5 wins (none against a playoff team), 4 losses to teams that are in the bottom 7 in the NHL, with just over half (8 games) with under 900 save% ( 2 of them under 800%), and many of those games with super weak goals at bad times.... and this is an improvement on the start of the season.

In that same time frame vladar has played 9 games, 5 wins, and only one regulation loss to carolina, 6 of those games with 900+ save%, with the other 3 being in the mid to high 800s, one of the "losses" in those 9 games was the chicago game that markstrom shit the bed, and he played amazing salvaging us a point and giving us a chance to win. Has got us points in 8 of his last 9 games for a 5-1-3 record.

The stats are in Vladars favour forsure, but the eye test is even more definitive. Vladar is making the big saves at big moments, he looks bigger, more confident and much more mentally prepared to play the games. Better rebound control, plays the puck better and does it for 4million cheaper a year. I dont see any logical argument for playing markstrom more games than Vladar at the moment for a team that needs to win games now.

Markstrom:
merky.PNG

Vladar:
vladar.PNG

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
I firmly believe that anyone but Brad would have done the same tbh. That's just what our ownership wants. Not excluding Brad entirely, but I really think that's just what we're stuck with even if Brad goes

I think Brad is on the way out, mostly on his own accord IMO. He’s in the last year of his contract with no news of an extension. If you’re him, and you know you’re not gonna be here past next summer, his moves last summer make a lot more sense. Go all in, rebuilding makes no sense if you’re not gonna be here to see it through.

Our TSN beat reporter (Salim Vadji?) thinks BT is angling for an exit to Toronto if Dubas is not re-signed.

Edit:not to mention a potential power struggle with Sutter, who ownership will absolutely side with over BT.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Markstroms last 15 games, only 5 wins (none against a playoff team), 4 losses to teams that are in the bottom 7 in the NHL, with just over half (8 games) with under 900 save% ( 2 of them under 800%), and many of those games with super weak goals at bad times.... and this is an improvement on the start of the season.

In that same time frame vladar has played 9 games, 5 wins, and only one regulation loss to carolina, 6 of those games with 900+ save%, with the other 3 being in the mid to high 800s, one of the "losses" in those 9 games was the chicago game that markstrom shit the bed, and he played amazing salvaging us a point and giving us a chance to win. Has got us points in 8 of his last 9 games for a 5-1-3 record.

The stats are in Vladars favour forsure, but the eye test is even more definitive. Vladar is making the big saves at big moments, he looks bigger, more confident and much more mentally prepared to play the games. Better rebound control, plays the puck better and does it for 4million cheaper a year. I dont see any logical argument for playing markstrom more games than Vladar at the moment for a team that needs to win games now.

Markstrom:
View attachment 633620

Vladar:
View attachment 633621
During those games for Vladar, Calgary scored 3.78 goals per game. During those games for Markstrom, Calgary scored 2.4 a game. Unless you think Vladar is firing off breakout passes, that pretty much sums up why Vladar is winning and Markstrom is losing. When it comes to actually stopping pucks, Markstrom has a 2.61 GAA and Vladar has a 2.82, so Markstrom has been fishing less pucks out his net than Vladar over that stretch. There isn’t much of a conspiracy going in here, but yes Markstrom did just have 2 games in a row he would want back. The one against Chicago is actually sewering his numbers pretty bad as well, so if you want to go on a game by game basis Markstrom has a much better body of work since the start of December.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
The give-back kids did it again. Glad I stayed up after night-shift to watch that one :facepalm: The ending was anti-bonerific.

And when did it become a thing that everything said during the broadcast has to be over-the-top positive. I don't think the broadcast team/reporters have to be insulting but is everyone and everything terrific and excellent? Even Francis at the intermission said Huberdeau has been excellent as of late. Why not just say he's been playing better but has a ways to go yet to live up to expectation (or something or just leave his name alone altogether).

Anyway, yeah fairly much discombobulated more of the same ol same ol.

Give Pelletier a shot ffs. And actually give Ruzicka a fairer chance to succeed. Switch him and Lucic. Why not? I mean give the young guys a decent length of rope sort of like what Mangi and Dube have gotten. Make Vlad our starter for once and for all until he poops the bed over a long stretch.

You guys have pretty much said it all. Pretty rough to watch this kind of blech hockey after decades of superstars and exciting scoring lines. We were pretty spoiled the last 8 years.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
The give-back kids did it again. Glad I stayed up after night-shift to watch that one :facepalm: The ending was anti-bonerific.

And when did it become a thing that everything said during the broadcast has to be over-the-top positive. I don't think the broadcast team/reporters have to be insulting but is everyone and everything terrific and excellent? Even Francis at the intermission said Huberdeau has been excellent as of late. Why not just say he's been playing better but has a ways to go yet to live up to expectation (or something or just leave his name alone altogether).

I think this is due to the way he was treated earlier in the season. People were really hesitant to criticize Huberdeau early on because he was new, is already signed to a massive contract and is supposed to replace our best forward since Iginla. It's hard for people to call it as it is when they really want a player to succeed, so despite Huberdeau being invisible most nights he was "progressing" or "playing fine" rather than not really doing anything despite being touted as an offensive star.

At this point he's still performing worse than expected prior to the start of the year but he's not completely invisible anymore, a couple times a game he sets up a really nice chance. At this point he's actually playing fine but since that's how the Flames broadcasters described his early play he's now excellent in comparison to their earlier standard for fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad