Confirmed Trade: [FLA/SJS]Mike Hoffman. 7th ('18) for 2nd ('19), 4th ('18) & 5th ('18)

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Are we seriously debating Miami vs. Ottawa? LOL. It is not by accident that Americans from the north eastern US (similar weather to Ottawa) flock to FL in droves for vacation and retirement.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
world class food/night life.

no winter. aka the ability to walk out your door in december wearing a t-shirt and shorts.

I'm sure you love Ottawa, and I'm sure it is a nice place, but there is 0.0% chance it wins a poll on which place would you rather live.

Speak for yourself. Some people like seasons. If everyone wanted to live near the south 90% of the world's population would live within a few hundred KM of the equator.

Reactions: Vlad The Impaler

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Speak for yourself. Some people like seasons. If everyone wanted to live near the south 90% of the world's population would live within a few hundred KM of the equator.
I'm sure plenty of people prefer the cold. It doesn't change that a tropical climate city like Miami would be a landslide winner against a cold-weather climate city like Ottawa in a poll of which place would you rather live

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
I'm sure plenty of people prefer the cold. It doesn't change that a tropical climate city like Miami would be a landslide winner against a cold-weather climate city like Ottawa in a poll of which place would you rather live
Ottawa gets really hot too though js
Anywhere from -40 to 45 it can get here.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

I dunno, you're probably right, but I've heard some bad Stuff about Miami. Apparently the crime is very bad.

A lot of people here like to go skiing/snowboarding every weekend or two and you can't do that in Florida.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
I dunno, you're probably right, but I've heard some bad Stuff about Miami. Apparently the crime is very bad.

A lot of people here like to go skiing/snowboarding every weekend or two and you can't do that in Florida.
This post from before should help clear some of that up.

I travel plenty. Lucky enough to have traveled all over the world.

You obviously need to spend more time in Miami. Miami is a massive area that incorporates a bunch of little cities which skews those numbers. Yes, there are some very rough areas in Miami. Areas where you should never walk alone at night. 99.9% of those areas you will never be anywhere near because there is no reason to be there unless you live there.

Then there are also areas that are some of the wealthiest/safest in the country. I live in Miami and have no concern at all about my GF walking around the area we live by herself at any time of the day/night. Crime in the city I grew up in amounted to one of the neighborhood kids getting caught shoplifting.

Might want to do more then just look at general statistics when talking about Miami.

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
So after Sharks did not manage to sign Tavares ,is this really such a great trade for Sharks? Imo both sharks and ottawa are losers in this trade and Florida is the clear winner. They gave a bunch of ****ty picks for Hoffman.

Nope. Sharks did well in the Ottawa trade, but this trade turned out to be a mistake. Overall dropping Boedker for the picks is nice, but dropping Boedker for Hoffman would have been better.

Reactions: Arnusson

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Nope. Sharks did well in the Ottawa trade, but this trade turned out to be a mistake. Overall dropping Boedker for the picks is nice, but dropping Boedker for Hoffman would have been better.

Depends on how the boys felt about Hoffman though. If they don't care for him then there's no reason to take that on and potentially fracture the room.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

no winter. aka the ability to walk out your door in december wearing a t-shirt and shorts.

I'm sure you love Ottawa, and I'm sure it is a nice place, but there is 0.0% chance it wins a poll on which place would you rather live.
And you again assume your preferences align with everyone else.

IceBoxHockey

Feb 14, 2016

Just because you prefer Florida doesn’t mean everyone does. I know I wouldn’t.

I love Minnesota and their winters. It’s too bad you don’t have the ability for pond hockey. IMO the best form of hockey there is.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
And you again assume your preferences align with everyone else.
There is a reason thousands of families move to to the area every year and few move away. These aren’t assumptions, these are understood facts. People want to live in warm weather environments. Sorry, it’s just how it is. You are the one who assumes your preference for cold weather applies to others.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

IceBoxHockey

Feb 14, 2016
You understood his point perfectly well - that a majority of people would prefer Miami over Ottawa (especially young millionaires) - so don't pretend otherwise.

Except you can’t say that with any certainty. Everyone is different, and don’t pretend otherwise.

Many people who play hockey are from areas with colder weather. Who says that isn’t their preference?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Except you can’t say that with any certainty. Everyone is different, and don’t pretend otherwise.

How many people live in Ottawa? Is Ottawa world renowned city the same way Miami is? Would you say more millionaires flock to live and play in Ottawa when compared to Miami?

Stop pretending like the difference is this nebulous, subjective thing. One is clearly better than the other for a majority of players. That's before we get to the tax differences.

I know it really chaps asses around here that players love to live and play in places like Southern California, Arizona, Florida etc... but it is what it is.

Miami in July? Not sure that's better/worse than Ottawa in January.

Players go wherever they want in the summer. They're wealthy.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
There is a reason thousands of families move to to the area every year and few move away. These aren’t assumptions, these are understood facts. People want to live in warm weather environments. Sorry, it’s just how it is. You are the one who assumes your preference for cold weather applies to others.

Have we talked about taxes yet?

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Miami is one of the most popular tourist destinations on the face of the earth. Celebrities and athletes buy homes down here the second they “make it”. There is a reason for this.

I do lament that I can’t play pond hockey in the winter. I lament it every year when I see the pics start popping up on twitter. Then I put on a t-shirt, jump in my car that doesn’t need ice scraped off of the windshield, pull out of my driveway that doesnt need to be shoveled, and drive to the beach.

IceBoxHockey

Feb 14, 2016
Miami is one of the most popular tourist destinations on the face of the earth. Celebrities and athletes buy homes down here the second they “make it”. There is a reason for this.

I do lament that I can’t play pond hockey in the winter. I lament it every year when I see the pics start popping up on twitter. Then I put on a t-shirt, jump in my car that doesn’t need ice scraped off of the windshield, pull out of my driveway that doesnt need to be shoveled, and drive to the beach.

I do enjoy visiting Miami, my relatives are snowbirds. But how many of these people make it their permit home?

But just because you can walk outside in a t-shirt isn’t making me envious of you. I couldn’t live there, the weather is much to hot and the humidity is terrible.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
How many people live in Ottawa? Is Ottawa world renowned city the same way Miami is? Would you say more millionaires flock to live and play in Ottawa when compared to Miami?

Stop pretending like the difference is this nebulous, subjective thing. One is clearly better than the other for a majority of players. That's before we get to the tax differences.

I know it really chaps asses around here that players love to live and play in places like Southern California, Arizona, Florida etc... but it is what it is.

Players go wherever they want in the summer. They're wealthy.
It’s a lot less effort to take clothes off in the heat of summer then put clothes on in the winter.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
No, I'm really not assuming my preferences are the same as others. You seem to assert that Florida is a better place because of the weather. Well I'm proving to you that not everyone wants stifling heat (yes, I've been to Florida plenty) or to be wearing shorts and t shirt every day. Florida is an appealing place for a lot of people, I get that. When people say "Florida is better because our weather is better..." That's not fact. That's opinion.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
I do enjoy visiting Miami, my relatives are snowbirds. But how many of these people make it their permit home?

But just because you can walk outside in a t-shirt isn’t making me envious of you. I couldn’t live there, the weather is much to hot and the humidity is terrible.
South Florida has 7 million+ permanent residents. That number was nowhere near that 50 years ago. Those people are coming from somewhere. This isn’t groundbreaking stuff. People want to live in tropical places. There’s a reason the median cost of a home in Miami is 70k more then Minneapolis

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
No, I'm really not assuming my preferences are the same as others. You seem to assert that Florida is a better place because of the weather. Well I'm proving to you that not everyone wants stifling heat (yes, I've been to Florida plenty) or to be wearing shorts and t shirt every day. Florida is an appealing place for a lot of people, I get that. When people say "Florida is better because our weather is better..." That's not fact. That's opinion.
No, the facts are that Miami has a high cost of living for a reason. People want to live here. The things I listed are a major reason why. Those aren’t opinions. It’s fact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad