Confirmed Trade: [FLA/CGY] Matthew Tkachuk, c. 2025 4th for Jonathan Huberdeau, MacKenzie Weegar, Cole Schwindt, c. 2025 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
HighLifeManIsHigh was talking in a bit of hyperbole, but Flames fans all know Tkachuk's limitations. He's fantastic down low and in the slot. He's a great pest. He has great positioning.

He's, however, not a massive physical presence. He is not a great playmaker. He cannot drive the zone. He does not have a great shot from the point. He's a slow skater.

Every goal he had from last year was very similar:

He's a great player for sure. However, anyone expecting the total package 100 point power forward will be disappointed.

Dunno, after watching every goal I think to myself “there’s the type of guy the Panthers desperately missed off the puck last year, and that’s what plagued their PP at the end of the season and in the playoffs.”

To be clear, I’m not happy about the trade, but he does look like someone who will mesh well with Barkov.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Dunno, after watching every goal I think to myself “there’s the type of guy the Panthers desperately missed off the puck last year, and that’s what plagued their PP at the end of the season and in the playoffs.”

To be clear, I’m not happy about the trade, but he does look like someone who will mesh well with Barkov.
The problem with Tkachuk is that he's not always on. Looks great on the highlight reel, but also disappears. Zero points and minus four in the last three games is the playoffs.

Pretty much the same frustration you had with huberdeau. Hopefully the change is good for both parties.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
The problem with Tkachuk is that he's not always on. Looks great on the highlight reel, but also disappears. Zero points and minus four in the last three games is the playoffs.

Pretty much the same frustration you had with huberdeau. Hopefully the change is good for both parties.
Haha when I read your first paragraph I was like… oh boy wait until he sees Huberdeau. That being said, I am not highly critical of Huberdeau - I think a lot of Panther fans see Barkov and see how impactful he is when he’s not scoring and expected Huberdeau to be the same.

Reactions: Panteras

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Haha when I read your first paragraph I was like… oh boy wait until he sees Huberdeau. That being said, I am not highly critical of Huberdeau - I think a lot of Panther fans see Barkov and see how impactful he is when he’s not scoring and expected Huberdeau to be the same.
Huberdeau was crap this playoffs, but had 10 points in six games last playoffs. His success do depend a lot on how well he adapts to Sutter though.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The Panthers are worse for this upcoming season,but they should be able to free up cap and sign a big name or two in the next few seasons..So they are kinda reloading on the fly.....

Calgary did well to replace two players that made them successful last season....Add in the team they have now seems to be built more in line with their defense first coach,and they may actually be better equipped to try and deal with high paced offense,s that dominate the west

Reactions: RogerRoger

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
The Panthers are worse for this upcoming season,but they should be able to free up cap and sign a big name or two in the next few seasons..So they are kinda reloading on the fly.....

Calgary did well to replace two players that made them successful last season....Add in the team they have now seems to be built more in line with their defense first coach,and they may actually be better equipped to try and deal with high paced offense,s that dominate the west
Yes, they took a little step back, but they should still be very good (We’ll see how Maurice does with this team :crossfing) Zito got Tkachuk for salary equal to Hubie and Weegs’ current deals. All of the money that would’ve gone towards extending them is now freed up to add to the defense. It really helps Zito maneuver around Bob’s bloated contract.

I’m really looking forward to seeing Calgary play this year.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Its often been stated on here that Huberdeau wasn't the line driver on his line. If he wasn't who was?
Here's a list of players that Huberdeau played with in 2021-22. Obviously the few times he played with Barkov, Barkov drove the line but who drove it all those other times?
Just curious.

LINE COMBINATIONSTOI MINUTES
Huberdeau-Bennett-Duclair
274.2​
Huberdeau-Bennett-Tippett
114.1​
Huberdeau-Bennett-Reinhart
89.9​
Huberdeau-Bennett-Giroux
66.1​
Huberdeau-Bennett-Verhaeghe
17.4​
Huberdeau-Bennett-Hornqvist
15.6​
Huberdeau-Reinhart-Duclair
21.4​
Huberdeau-Reinhart-Tippett
11​
Huberdeau-Lundell-Duclair
31.5​
Huberdeau-Lundell-Tippett
15.5​
Huberdeau-Luostarinen-Duclair
11.8​
Huberdeau-Luostarinen-Tippett
11.5​
Huberdeau-Barkov-Duclair
92.7​
Huberdeau-Barkov-Giroux
31.2​
Huberdeau-Barkov-Verhaeghe
28.6​
Huberdeau-Barkov-Reinhart
23.1​

Reactions: blankall and JKG33

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Its often been stated on here that Huberdeau wasn't the line driver on his line. If he wasn't who was?
Here's a list of players that Huberdeau played with in 2021-22. Obviously the few times he played with Barkov, Barkov drove the line but who drove it all those other times?
Just curious.

274.2​
114.1​
89.9​
Huberdeau-Bennett-Giroux
66.1​
17.4​
15.6​
21.4​
11​
31.5​
15.5​
11.8​
11.5​
Huberdeau-Barkov-Duclair
92.7​
Huberdeau-Barkov-Giroux
31.2​
28.6​
23.1​
Tkachuk was also the key cog on his line too.

Bennett and Duclair had no issues carrying the puck through the NZ and passing it off to Huberdeau who would normally do his thing and set up the primary or secondary assist

Last edited:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Not as much as you may think but not exactly sure if everyone is using the line driver terminology the same way.
It’s not 100%. Tkachuk is a great player but on that line, Johnny carries the puck into the offensive zone most of the time. He set up most of the plays also. Tkachuk is a great passer though.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
It’s not 100%. Tkachuk is a great player but on that line, Johnny carries the puck into the offensive zone most of the time. He set up most of the plays also. Tkachuk is a great passer though.
Don't disagree, Johnny is the 1a on the line in your skating terms but then Huberdeau isn't classified as the line driver in Florida if he isn't carrying the puck.
Bennett and Duclair did most of that since they're better skaters.

If you're talking pure offense and defense on the CGY line, it's a lot closer for Johnny as 1a, Tkachuk as 1b and Lindholm as 2a

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Not as much as you may think but not exactly sure if everyone is using the line driver terminology the same way.

I would imagine the Flames fans would know better. Tkachuk was my favourite Flame.... but Gaudreau drove the line offensively and Lindholm was the key defensive piece. The good think about Tkachuk, is he compliments both very well and his hockey IQ and positioning allow him to succeed. But line driver? Nah.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I would imagine the Flames fans would know better. Tkachuk was my favourite Flame.... but Gaudreau drove the line offensively and Lindholm was the key defensive piece. The good think about Tkachuk, is he compliments both very well and his hockey IQ and positioning allow him to succeed. But line driver? Nah.
Not necessarily, stats show otherwise.
Lindholm was the 3rd most important piece on the line in terms of offense and defense.

Feel free to post stats providing Lindholm as the key defensive piece if need be

iguuar

Aug 20, 2022
Just curious.

274.2​
114.1​
89.9​
Huberdeau-Bennett-Giroux
66.1​
17.4​
15.6​
21.4​
11​
31.5​
15.5​
11.8​
11.5​
Huberdeau-Barkov-Duclair
92.7​
Huberdeau-Barkov-Giroux
31.2​
28.6​
23.1​
Try to remember it doesn’t include PP1 time and even then the main driver on PP1 is Huberdeau and not Barkov.

Be prepared for Florida to regress without having an elite playmaker setting everyone up for easy goals.

Sorry to tell everyone.

Bennett will regress back to Bennett Flames fans will tell you is useless and lazy.

Florida will replace Huberdeau as the setup man on PP1 with Reinhart and quite frankly there is a massive drop in quality.

The only reason Tkachuk is scoring all these highlight goals is the fact he had both Gaudreau as well as Lindholm setting him up over and over.

Watch video and you are going to quick see Tkachuk is an absolutely lazy floater.

He likes to sit at the opponents blue line waiting for stretch passes as it’s the only way he can have any success on the rush as his foot speed is not only below average in fact his skating is likely one of the absolute weakest parts of his game.

Everyone assumes Tkachuk is going to have no issues hitting 90-100 points with Barkov and really why is that?

Barkov is absolutely inferior to every possible manner in terms of offence and playmaking compared to Gaudreau.

Lindholm is absolutely equal to Barkov in terms of offensive skills. Barlow if anything has an ever slightly better two way game.

I don’t think anyone realizes Lindholm should have hands down won the Selke last year and it shouldn’t have been close.

Lindholm put up 40g while putting up top 10 +\- numbers while playing PP1/PK1 time.

Yet Lindholm apparently isn’t a #1C.

News flash. Lind hole is a very good #1C he’s just not as generational on offence compared to others.

Either way with Tkachuk on Florida my guess is 25-30 goals and 30-35 assists.

I was so god damn happy when his lazy fat drunk daddy told him not to sign in Calgary. The guy and his family is an absolute embarrassment.

Keith Tkachuk was sitting there at the games not just getting drunk but getting absolutely hammered beyond belief all because the flames provided free passes to the entire Tkachuk entourage.

I’m actually surprised the league allows this crap. It was an absolute disgrace during the playoffs. But hey congrats on having that same big fat drunk cheering your team on.

To be honest I didn’t even like the flames pick of Tkachuk at the draft.

The flames were 100% set to draft either Sergachev or Keller had the Vancouver Canucks not made the stupidest move in franchise history drafting Juolevi.

Not only did they take Juolevi ahead of Tkachuk they also took him ahead of Sergachev and Keller. Was as bad or worse than Florida taking Drouin 3 years earlier.

You do not win championships when you have selfish players like the Tkachuks playing on your team. Daddy Tkachuk has taught his boys they are above the team and their needs come ahead of their teammates.

Tkachuks are the type of players you lose with, not win with. The only way we ever see a Tkachuk hoisting a cup is only if they are a complimentary piece and not a primary top line player.

Tkachuks always place themselves ahead of anyone else on the team.

Will laugh when Florida misses the playoffs this year. If you don’t think it’s possible take a look at the D again.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
People are now comparing Lindholm as equal to Barkov in this thread ?

Guess I understand how we got to 100+ pages with all this non-sense ! :D

Enjoy Huby and Weegs, be happy about your team moves, we'll enjoy Tkachuk and be happy with our season. The end.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
Try to remember it doesn’t include PP1 time and even then the main driver on PP1 is Huberdeau and not Barkov.

Be prepared for Florida to regress without having an elite playmaker setting everyone up for easy goals.

Sorry to tell everyone.

Bennett will regress back to Bennett Flames fans will tell you is useless and lazy.

Florida will replace Huberdeau as the setup man on PP1 with Reinhart and quite frankly there is a massive drop in quality.

The only reason Tkachuk is scoring all these highlight goals is the fact he had both Gaudreau as well as Lindholm setting him up over and over.

Watch video and you are going to quick see Tkachuk is an absolutely lazy floater.

He likes to sit at the opponents blue line waiting for stretch passes as it’s the only way he can have any success on the rush as his foot speed is not only below average in fact his skating is likely one of the absolute weakest parts of his game.

Everyone assumes Tkachuk is going to have no issues hitting 90-100 points with Barkov and really why is that?

Barkov is absolutely inferior to every possible manner in terms of offence and playmaking compared to Gaudreau.

Lindholm is absolutely equal to Barkov in terms of offensive skills. Barlow if anything has an ever slightly better two way game.

I don’t think anyone realizes Lindholm should have hands down won the Selke last year and it shouldn’t have been close.

Lindholm put up 40g while putting up top 10 +\- numbers while playing PP1/PK1 time.

Yet Lindholm apparently isn’t a #1C.

News flash. Lind hole is a very good #1C he’s just not as generational on offence compared to others.

Either way with Tkachuk on Florida my guess is 25-30 goals and 30-35 assists.

I was so god damn happy when his lazy fat drunk daddy told him not to sign in Calgary. The guy and his family is an absolute embarrassment.

Keith Tkachuk was sitting there at the games not just getting drunk but getting absolutely hammered beyond belief all because the flames provided free passes to the entire Tkachuk entourage.

I’m actually surprised the league allows this crap. It was an absolute disgrace during the playoffs. But hey congrats on having that same big fat drunk cheering your team on.

To be honest I didn’t even like the flames pick of Tkachuk at the draft.

The flames were 100% set to draft either Sergachev or Keller had the Vancouver Canucks not made the stupidest move in franchise history drafting Juolevi.

Not only did they take Juolevi ahead of Tkachuk they also took him ahead of Sergachev and Keller. Was as bad or worse than Florida taking Drouin 3 years earlier.

You do not win championships when you have selfish players like the Tkachuks playing on your team. Daddy Tkachuk has taught his boys they are above the team and their needs come ahead of their teammates.

Tkachuks are the type of players you lose with, not win with. The only way we ever see a Tkachuk hoisting a cup is only if they are a complimentary piece and not a primary top line player.

Tkachuks always place themselves ahead of anyone else on the team.

Will laugh when Florida misses the playoffs this year. If you don’t think it’s possible take a look at the D again.

Good luck with your new 30+ signings who are coming off career years. And Tre giving massive contracts to them (waiting on Weegar) like a moron thinking those are the players he is getting (Kadri lol). I guess beggars can't be choosers but still.

• Love
Reactions: BabyBennettov

TomppaKoo

Jan 27, 2021
Didn't read the full thread, just spouting out opinions that probably many have already said.

I do not comprehend the logic in adding Weegar in the deal for Panthers. Huby, and maybe a pick should've been a fair play. Well, I do not comprehend the Panther's logic in trading Huberdeau out at first place for pretty much anything. He was one of the faces of the franchise. It hurts the cats team chemistry and productivity + after losing Weegar their defense is not looking very impressive. Also, I'm not convinced that Tkatchuk will fit in Panthers system very well. Hopefully he will.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
My definition of a line driver is someone who can carry the puck but also creates scoring chances in the o-zone.

Plenty of puck carriers out there but very few that also stir the drink in the offensive zone making good things happen. Gaudreau did both.... therefore he's a line driver. Huberdeau, apparently, can only stir the drink. Tkachuk is a drink stirer also but not a puck carrier... therefore not a line driver.

Now Bennett, when he played for he Flames could carry the puck but chances are when he got deep in the zone he would cough it up or the play would just die. Maybe he's changed playing for the Panthers? Anyways based on my knowledge of him as a Flame I would be hesitant to call him a line driver. With regards to Duclair I don't know enough about him to say one way or the other. Ditto with the plethora of other guys that Huberdeau had playing on his line... thus the reason I posed the question.

After saying all that, it seems to me that being a drink stirer is the more important attribute in the definition. I mean any scmuck with good skating ability can carry the puck in the neutral zone and that becomes even less important when you have a coach who prefers puck passing in all zones over puck carrying. Just saying. Maybe Tkachuk and Huberdeau ARE line drivers? They just aren't on the same level as a Gaudreau or Barkov.

Last edited:

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
First, post your stats showing Tkachuk and Lindholm.
So none.

Great.

I think it's cute that you are basing your opinion on the article that the win column posted. But it doesn't take into consideration that when Tkachuk wasn't playing with Gaudreau/Lindholm last year, his most common line mate was Backlund who is elite defensively and drove the play on that line. And I guess defensive point shares don't matter to that article which cherry picked the stats that made Tkachuk look vastly superior.

There is a reason Tkachuk doesn't kill penalties.

There is a reason why Lindholm finished second in Selke voting and Tkachuk was 27th with one 4th place vote.

But tell me more about what the words and numbers tell you from that article.

Don't get me wrong. Matt is good defensively. He just isn't Lindholm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad