Confirmed Trade: [FLA/BUF] Kyle Okposo for Calle Sjalin and 2024 cond., 7th round pick

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
They gave him choice on where he wanted to go and he said Florida. He didn't have trade protection and they still honored his request. In recent weeks, there were reports the Rangers and Bruins were both interested and perhaps they could have gotten a smidge more outright but they still did well by the player to honor his request on where to go.

That isn't something to remove. And it would not surprise if Dad is back in the front office after his season and playoffs is over.
Exactly. From what I can tell, he's pretty tight with Kevyn Adams. I would like to see them bring him into the front office next year. He seems like future GM material. Also, FLA may not need his leadership, but he is very well liked and respected in the room. I know he's played with Reinhart, Montour and Rodrigues. Not sure if he knows anyone else.

Ghost of Murph

Dec 23, 2023
FLA is just showing off at this point. Crazy depth and all bases covered. Good luck to the rest of the league in the playoffs.

Reactions: TotalHomer

Hasek

Jan 2, 2013
Exactly. From what I can tell, he's pretty tight with Kevyn Adams. I would like to see them bring him into the front office next year. He seems like future GM material. Also, FLA may not need his leadership, but he is very well liked and respected in the room. I know he's played with Reinhart, Montour and Rodrigues. Not sure if he knows anyone else.
I sure as hope he doesnt get hired in Buffalo. Him and his multiple winning seasons and stanley cups. I understand the move by Florida as it adds another body for the playoff run, which they probably wont have to pay next year, but he has never won. Losing breeds losing.
With that said, i hope he proves me wrong and wins a cup as he was a good soldier.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Florida’s additions of Tarasenko and Okposo remind me a lot of the 2013 Penguins adding Iginla and Morrow.

You have a team that plays a certain style and pace, and you’re adding two guys that play a much different, much slower game.

Not saying it cant work or they wont fit, just feels like a bit of deja vu. Hopefully Maurice knows how to integrate without allowing the domino effect to slow the whole team down like it did the Pens that post-season.

This is definitely a thing, but people on this board are too occupied with fantasy hockey to even understand that hockey players are real people with real people dynamics, like someone can't do his prior job properly if someone else is thrown into the exact same space, like in any normal workplace.

Reactions: Felidae

Section 104

Sep 12, 2021
Nice gift for someone who had to suffer through the disasters of the Wang Islanders and the Pegula Sabres…a man drafted in Neil Smith’s 40 day reign as Islander GM..who had concussion problems a few years ago. I remember being at his debut game in Nassau Coliseum March 18, 2008. Rob Davison scored the only goal in his 19 game career as an Islander. Sat next to a Maple Leaf husband and wife. The wife read “Paris Match ” magazine the entire time. At one time when one of those camera man came by one, the man asked to be shown on the video screen. He laughed and said no, he wasn’t allowed to showed fans in visiting jerseys.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Weird that people are talking about a 4th liner with 12 goals being done? Seems like solid 4th line production.

Not the same but I see the similarities.
Iggy was a big add and should’ve been played rw to Crosby but the coach botched it
Meh, Morrow and Iggy were pretty good, the problem was the stars in round 3.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Cool add for Florida. Okposo was a force in his peak, but has been stuck on crappy teams his whole career it seems.

Would be cool to see him win one.

Reactions: luiginb

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Weird that people are talking about a 4th liner with 12 goals being done? Seems like solid 4th line production.

Probably because the Sabres had him playing on the PP and had up in the lineup for some reason not all of his points are coming from the 4th line....he's also terribly slow which doesn't really fit into 4th line you would expect from a competing team that would hope to have hustlers that can be relied to play defense and being honest while some say Girgs should have been gone too I say absolutely not he can actually hustle and play defense you would expect from a 4th line player.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011

He hasnt scored 12 goals from the 4th line exclusively. I wouldnt say hes done either though. BUT I don't see how he fits Panthers system which is pretty much a fast paced physical forecheck to pressure your opponents in their own zone. Okposo is too slow for that. But maybe finds a niche as a dragging forward capitilizing on that system. We'll see.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I sure as hope he doesnt get hired in Buffalo. Him and his multiple winning seasons and stanley cups. I understand the move by Florida as it adds another body for the playoff run, which they probably wont have to pay next year, but he has never won. Losing breeds losing.
With that said, i hope he proves me wrong and wins a cup as he was a good soldier.

Just to point out that Bill Zito, the guy who is probably the best GM in the NHL right now, has no Cups in his resume and came out of the Blue Jackets front office. It would be nice to have some clearer managerial direction, but let's not forget there are good hockey minds that can come from anywhere.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
He hasnt scored 12 goals from the 4th line exclusively. I wouldnt say hes done either though. BUT I don't see how he fits Panthers system which is pretty much a fast paced physical forecheck to pressure your opponents in their own zone. Okposo is too slow for that. But maybe finds a niche as a dragging forward capitilizing on that system. We'll see.
Not like he's just piling up PP goals though. Pretty decent 5v5 goal scoring production this season for his role

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad