Confirmed Signing with Link: [FLA] Brandon Montour re-signs with the Panthers (3 years, $3.5M AAV)

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
Completely fair. But let’s be honest as well Matheson was a lightning rod for all the criticism from Florida due to his contract. So regardless of his play he was always being judged based on a contract he was given.
Aren't all players judged by their contracts together with their production? Isn't that intrinsically the value proposition of signing a player for X AAV?

At the moment he signed we were happy as a fan base. It seemed like ever since he body slammed EP, he just never put the game back together. He was a liability ever time he laced up his skates and he was given over 100 games to get his head straight. It never happened

Reactions: Laus723

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Aren't all players judged by their contracts together with their production? Isn't that intrinsically the value proposition of signing a player for X AAV?

At the moment he signed we were happy as a fan base. It seemed like ever since he body slammed EP, he just never put the game back together. He was a liability ever time he laced up his skates and he was given over 100 games to get his head straight. It never happened

Yep. Fair.

The comparison I made is still true. Montour and Matheson are very similar players.

Reactions: drktmplr12

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Fine with this.

He was good in Florida. And let's face it, Bennett got his deal for being good in Florida.

Doesn't make sense to include his time in Buffalo when he was signed for what he did in Florida.

He was good during the season, meh during the playoffs. But Weegar was bad too. So

He also took less AAV for more term than his previous deal.

This is a good contract

Reactions: MakoSlade

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Meh signing. Montour is a good skater but thats about it. He should be sheltered in FLA tho and take a lot of the minutes Yandle was playing he should be fine

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
Florida.... the cap is still 81.5 million, not 91.5 million. After Reinhart is signed they'll have ZERO space when Barkov needs a new contract next off season

SatanicToedrag

Apr 15, 2017
Florida.... the cap is still 81.5 million, not 91.5 million. After Reinhart is signed they'll have ZERO space when Barkov needs a new contract next off season
It's gonna be tight, you are right, but doable. Nuti's 2,7 million comes off, Vatrano's 2,5 million comes off, Luongo's recapture penalty too. That leaves Florida with 25 milllion to fit Barkov (9-10 mil), Reinhart (6-7 mil), Verhaeghe (4-5 mil) and Tippett (probably a bridge deal of 3-4 mil). We max out but they can all fit.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
It's gonna be tight, you are right, but doable. Nuti's 2,7 million comes off, Vatrano's 2,5 million comes off, Luongo's recapture penalty too. That leaves Florida with 25 milllion to fit Barkov (9-10 mil), Reinhart (6-7 mil), Verhaeghe (4-5 mil) and Tippett (probably a bridge deal of 3-4 mil). We max out but they can all fit.
We'll also need to sign at minimum five additional forwards and one Dman (two would be better). That cap you project has eight forwards - pretty sure that's not a working team - and five Dman (same problem). Even if you fill this all with prospects or really cheap UFAs, that's about 6 additional million.
I guess you can trade out Hornqvist and have the cap space (thought you still need to replace his spot so you gain some 4.5 mil at most, and that's best case scenario- no retention, we find a trade partner), but that still barely gets you there, if at all. If we can make it work, it's going to be extremely tight.

SatanicToedrag

Apr 15, 2017
We'll also need to sign at minimum five additional forwards and one Dman (two would be better). That cap you project has eight forwards - pretty sure that's not a working team - and five Dman (same problem). Even if you fill this all with prospects or really cheap UFAs, that's about 6 additional million.
I guess you can trade out Hornqvist and have the cap space (thought you still need to replace his spot so you gain some 4.5 mil at most, and that's best case scenario- no retention, we find a trade partner), but that still barely gets you there, if at all. If we can make it work, it's going to be extremely tight.
I'm fairly confident in our prospect group, at that time all of Deni, Lundell, Noel, Gildon, Ludvig are on their ELCs. Hepo won't get a raise and he can serve as a bottom sixer, same with Luostarinen. We have the necessary budget players at hand already.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016

Nuti and Vatranao needs to be replaced so with those cap hits the savings will be small. Yandles dead cap increased next season from 2 to over 5 million in dead cap

SatanicToedrag

Apr 15, 2017
Nuti and Vatranao needs to be replaced so with those cap hits the savings will be small. Yandles dead cap increased next season from 2 to over 5 million in dead cap
Yandle's dead cap increase is accounted for in there. Our forward depth is off the charts so replacing Vatrano could be done in this instant. Nuti is a #6 defenseman at the moment so I'm not too worried about replacing him either.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
I'm fairly confident in our prospect group, at that time all of Deni, Lundell, Noel, Gildon, Ludvig are on their ELCs. Hepo won't get a raise and he can serve as a bottom sixer, same with Luostarinen. We have the necessary budget players at hand already.
I agree we have some internal options, but even those guys take some cap. Not much, but if you need to sign six or seven of them, it adds up...

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Plenty of levers to pull to give Barkov 10 mil. It’s the following year with Huberdeau and Weegar that is a concern.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
many way to isolate his time with the Cats vs Buffalo? Totally different teams and experience I’m sure.
There’s no way Matheson was remotely better than Montour defensively during their time here. Montour wasn’t a turnstile.

Matheson was adequate - not terrible, but not great - defensively for the Pens last season. And yes, he did struggle in Florida, hence why fans were apprehensive upon his arrival.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
It’s fine. Not great. Not awful. But the Panthers have crushed so many moves lately, I think Zito can take a “C+/B-“ for this one and still make the honor roll easily.

I do think Mike Reilly was way better last year and got $500k less per year but let’s chalk that one up as a sweetheart deal for the Bruins.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Matheson was adequate - not terrible, but not great - defensively for the Pens last season. And yes, he did struggle in Florida, hence why fans were apprehensive upon his arrival.

listen, good for him, I hope he does well for the Pens there and is serviceable for them. But he had to go. Montour for 1.4ish less for 2 less years who looked better in a Panthers sweater than Matheson ever did, while also having a guy in Horny who helped completely change the culture, works for almost every Panther fan.
I’ve said I’m not the biggest fan of this, but I also trust Zito as he’s earned it.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
listen, good for him, I hope he does well for the Pens there and is serviceable for them. But he had to go. Montour for 1.4ish less for 2 less years who looked better in a Panthers sweater than Matheson ever did, while also having a guy in Horny who helped completely change the culture, works for almost every Panther fan.
I’ve said I’m not the biggest fan of this, but I also trust Zito as he’s earned it.

Yeah. I watched a fair amount of Cats games (they were entertaining during Boughner’s first season), and thought he looked brutal on most nights. Boughner’s ‘system’ aside, he looked really really bad. That’s why I was pissed when they traded Hornqvist - a fan favourite to begin with - for him.

As for Montour, I was pleasantly surprised by how he played after the trade. A good pickup by Zito.

Reactions: BabyBennettov

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
After a summer of generally shrewd moves, this one confuses me a bit. I thought he was abused in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad