Fix The Ducks Overtime Woes Thread!!

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
I think we all need to bring it up now, While I know 3 on 3 is brutal way to finish games, it is still there and its costing us points. Our neighbors up the freeway seem to have mastered it lol. For us its an automatic loss. I wanna talk about what exactly are the ducks doing wrong to always come out with the loss. Here is what I came up with.

1. Getzlaf and Perry dont have the stamina for play in OT. Just dont play them or atleast dont put them together. 3 on 3 is all about speed. We need danglers and speedsters.

2. 3 on 3 is known for breakaways, We have probably the worst Breakaway goalie in the league lol, one deke and its in. What Im trying to say is. We never get that big save when we need it the most.

3. We never crash the middle on 3 on 3. Were always to the outside. your not gonna score like that. I watch the kings games they always get a 3 on 2 and the middle guy crashes the middle and the shooter is wide open and its in.

4. I think we need better forward pairs. I would put cogs with rakell. Cogs speed would back up the opponent. Cramrossa with Kesler. Perry with Vermette, Getzlaf with Silverberg. Mix it up a bit.. Getzlaf and perry together in the OT is a liablilty. They cant backcheck.

Let me know your thoughts guys.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
We have too few finishers. And the ones we have either are slow or are largely opportunistic rather than the types that create their own shots.

The way to fix 3v3 is to adopt the Vancouver approach and to play for the shootout.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
get Silfverberg the **** off of the ice in OT. Not sure why two coaches now think he's one of our better options. We don't use speed enough. We had Hagelin on this team last year, and he rarely touched the ice in OT. I don't get the obsession with Silfverberg in OT.

Some combinations I'd use:
Kesler-Cogliano-Vatanen

Rakell-Perry-Lindholm

Getzlaf-Vermette-Fowler

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Agree with DVM. Too many grinders and too few finishers to be a good 3 v 3 team. I'd consider putting Lindholm and Fowler together during the 3 on 3

Perry and Getzlaf get lost defensively way too easily in the 3 on 3. Most of the time it's because they refuse to skate a regular length shift and get caught on the ice for too long. They need to get more aware of when the give up the offensive zone and go for a change.

I'd honestly consider putting 2 defensemen on the ice with 1 forward if I was Carlyle. Maybe give Fowler-Vatanen-Perry and Lindholm-Manson-Getzlaf a chance

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
get Silfverberg the **** off of the ice in OT. Not sure why two coaches now think he's one of our better options. We don't use speed enough. We had Hagelin on this team last year, and he rarely touched the ice in OT. I don't get the obsession with Silfverberg in OT.

Some combinations I'd use:
Kesler-Cogliano-Vatanen

Rakell-Perry-Lindholm

Getzlaf-Vermette-Fowler

you mean besides one of the few players who can score on his own? :popcorn:

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
In OT, you need speed and creativity. Silfverberg provides neither of these.

Im gonna have to agree with him on this one. Creativity is something that is definitely needed. Rakell is the only player on our team that comes close to having the hands to make something happen out of nothing.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Not much can be done to fix our OT chances. Too slow for 3v3. We may start out good since we can win the face off, but if they stop that initial push, they'll capitalize on someone being out of position and score.

Just need to play conservative and get to a shootout.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
3v3 might be the time when looking for that perfect play pays off. It's a game of possession. First team to give up the puck loses. So, don't give up the puck. Keep possession until you can find that opening, and the bury it. I just don't think the team has been patient enough. They start off well, but then they force a play, and it turns over.

We should have an advantage, with our face-off game, but we just don't take advantage of it. And yes, we probably aren't fast enough, but we can overcome that with a better passing game. Good passing, with a little movement, will always trump speed if executed properly.

Don't play to the clock. There is no need to rush the play. If it goes to SO, then it goes to SO, but keep the puck and keep looking for that play.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Why not try two defencemen and one forward.

A supreme skater like Fowler can create a lot of space 3 vs 3 if he knows that someone is covering him.

Rakell

Fowler-Manson

Cogliano/Kesler/Getzlaf

Lindholm-Vatanen

Or simply take a chance on taking the goalie out and play 4 vs 3, even though you get no loser point if you would happen to lose.

It's worth it if you're bad enough 3 vs 3 and the odds on scoring 4 vs 3 should be a lot better than letting in an empty netter.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Why not try two defencemen and one forward.

A supreme skater like Fowler can create a lot of space 3 vs 3 if he knows that someone is covering him.

Rakell

Fowler-Manson

Cogliano/Kesler/Getzlaf

Lindholm-Vatanen

Or simply take a chance on taking the goalie out and play 4 vs 3, even though you get no loser point if you would happen to lose.

It's worth it if you're bad enough 3 vs 3 and the odds on scoring 4 vs 3 should be a lot better than letting in an empty netter.

They would never pull the goaltender and risk not getting the point. You can't give away points in the league. Better to just play for the shootout, and roll the dice.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
I don't like the idea of pulling the goalie at all to get a 4 on 3. I do like the idea of 2 defensemen with 1 forward though, especially with Cam and Sami who are more than capable of pushing the play offensively.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I don't like the idea of pulling the goalie at all to get a 4 on 3. I do like the idea of 2 defensemen with 1 forward though, especially with Cam and Sami who are more than capable of pushing the play offensively.

You shouldn't. You don't just risk losing the game, and the extra point. You risk losing the point you get by going to OT to begin with. If you pull the goaltender and you lose the game in OT, you get 0 points.

Even if it works on occasion, and it might, the end result is probably an overall loss in points. You'll lose more points by pulling the goaltender, than you would gain by winning in OT. It might work as a surprise tactic, late in the season when you need that extra point to make the playoffs. Any other time, and I just don't see how the risk is worth it. It's all or nothing.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Regarding the skill - I don`t think LA is that much skilled than us yet they still find ways to win there. Obviously skilled players helps so Rakell definitely should play heavy minutes in the OT.

I`d be totally ok taking Getz off the OT, he has been bad way too many times there. The problem is it will likely not happen (otherwise it would have happened already, because Getz has been bad for that long there).

I`d like to put Getz with Silfverberg there and Fowler because obviously someone will have to take the defensive load :laugh:

But Rakell and Kesler should play most of the time, together or with some other partner.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
They would never pull the goaltender and risk not getting the point. You can't give away points in the league. Better to just play for the shootout, and roll the dice.

You don't get a loser point if you pull the goalie in overtime? I've never heard of that happening but that's interesting if that's a rule.

duxfan8

Sep 13, 2011
South Bay
I think we just focus too much on keeping the puck for 5 minutes. We can retain, retain, retain but if we make one mistake (ex: Wagner passing to an empty point), it's a breakaway, 2 on 1 or 3 on 1. I don't think Gibson is bad with breakaways, at least not historically. We need to set up more instead of cycling until a passing lane opens up, IMO. I obviously think possession is the most important thing, because if you keep the puck the whole OT, you're either winning or going to the SO, but we need to be hungry and aggressive in a way that doesn't leave the goalie out to dry as soon as we turn the puck over once.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
You don't get a loser point if you pull the goalie in overtime? I've never heard of that happening but that's interesting if that's a rule.

Yeah that's been the case since the day the loser point was bought in.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Need speedy finishers

Agree with DVM. Too many grinders and too few finishers to be a good 3 v 3 team. I'd consider putting Lindholm and Fowler together during the 3 on 3

Perry and Getzlaf get lost defensively way too easily in the 3 on 3. Most of the time it's because they refuse to skate a regular length shift and get caught on the ice for too long. They need to get more aware of when the give up the offensive zone and go for a change.

I'd honestly consider putting 2 defensemen on the ice with 1 forward if I was Carlyle. Maybe give Fowler-Vatanen-Perry and Lindholm-Manson-Getzlaf a chance

If we use two defenseman like that then we are in trouble having to use Bieska and Stoner or Holzer more in OT

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal
Put 2D and 1F, Ducks have more puck handlers with speed in the form of Dmen.

Then just play keep-away and wait for the shootout.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Put 2D and 1F, Ducks have more puck handlers with speed in the form of Dmen.

Then just play keep-away and wait for the shootout.

And hope the league does end up changing the shootout rules to the Olympic model so we can just keep sending Silf out until we win.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
And hope the league does end up changing the shootout rules to the Olympic model so we can just keep sending Silf out until we win.

The Exact same move everytime, and the shot in exactly the same spot.

Yet it goes in 90% of the time.

Makes no sense, haha..

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
It makes pretty good sense, actually.

If a shooter has a good shot(see: a quick one), and they can place their shot where they want, they will beat the goaltender more often than not. Goaltending relies on position, and reflexes. If you're placing it in a spot the goaltender isn't, you're leaving reflexes as the only option, and a release like Silfverberg's means the goaltender isn't going to have the time to react.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad