News Article: Five Biggest Reasons the Senators' Season Has Gone Sideways

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We probably have the most stationary offense in the entire league, pretty easy to defend when everyone is standing still watching the play instead of being engaged in the game.
We're 11th in goals per game, apparently it's not that easy...

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
Goaltending? Maybe, but goalies do well after they exit Ottawa which speaks more to the coaching and culture.

The players just aren't very good.
The coaching has been very bad for a long time.

The young guys have put up pretty nice point totals despite a terrible overall team performance.

These guys needed a new voice a year and a half ago.

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
This team is a lot like Vancouver was before they turend the ship. The Sens have a lot of young talent with a stud defenceman.

They also have forwards who can put up points. Let Jacques do his thing and next year will might be different.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
We're 11th in goals per game, apparently it's not that easy...
We're 29th in PPG, Last in our Conference. Our PP is 24th @ 16.9% with what should have been an absolutely stacked forward group this year, but the play is pass along the perimiter until you can force feed Norris 80% of the time.

Our top forwards are cheating on Offense 5 on 5 with lackluster effort in a 200ft game constantly. Not like thats the only team issue, but I'm sure if our forwards showed more commitment each shift to a two way game they could possibly help out our soft ass D out. '

Coaching wasn't solely the issue clearly, it's on the players, and they are not going to figure it out as this group. So hopefully they can make a couple ballsy moves and get some gamers on this roster.

Reactions: LiseL

OccidentalSoothsayer

Dec 7, 2017
New Westminster, B.C.
Goaltending? Maybe, but goalies do well after they exit Ottawa which speaks more to the coaching and culture.

The coaching has been very bad for a long time.

The young guys have put up pretty nice point totals despite a terrible overall team performance.

These guys needed a new voice a year and a half ago
Certainly the coaching was bad but I'd wager that if Staios can ever find a coach who can get these forwards to take their defensive game seriously and take care of the puck we will see 7,18 and 9 point totals go down.

Reactions: Norris4Norris

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
Certainly the coaching was bad but I'd wager that if Staios can ever find a coach who can get these forwards to take their defensive game seriously and take care of the puck we will see 7,18 and 9 point totals go down.
They might have their numbers dip to learn how to play defensively.

But there are tricks that the forwards will be taught on how to play simple defensive hockey in the offensive and neutral zones.

Better defence in the offensive zone would mean more time in that zone which will lead to more scoring chances.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
It's weird; if we could swap our roster with any other team in the league, there's not many I would actually want to swap with. We have a lot of flashy names, but it's not translating into wins.

They make a lot of mistakes and don't have the maturity/experience to prevent the mistake from being in the back of their net. I still believe in the core for the future. They are better than what we've seen this year. But collectively, they are having a bad season, worse than last year.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We're 29th in PPG, Last in our Conference. Our PP is 24th @ 16.9% with what should have been an absolutely stacked forward group this year, but the play is pass along the perimiter until you can force feed Norris 80% of the time.

Our top forwards are cheating on Offense 5 on 5 with lackluster effort in a 200ft game constantly. Not like thats the only team issue, but I'm sure if our forwards showed more commitment each shift to a two way game they could possibly help out our soft ass D out. '

Coaching wasn't solely the issue clearly, it's on the players, and they are not going to figure it out as this group. So hopefully they can make a couple ballsy moves and get some gamers on this roster.
I agree our PP is bad, but you said our offense was easy to defend so that's what I responded to, more to offense than the pp and we're 11th in goals per game. We're 2nd in the league in GF/60 at 5v5. If all you meant was the PP, then fine, we've cleared that up.

I'd love to see us sacrifice a bit of that offence if it meant a significant improvement on the other side of the ledger, but again, that's not what I was responding to, we are what we are, a team that's going to get it's goals (or at least, has gotten them to this point in the season). I'd love to see us improve the PP with some new schemes, but I suspect they are working on other priorities in the minimal practice time they have with our compressed schedule.

It's on the players, I agree, but if the coaching wasn't holding these guys accountable the last 5 years, it's going to take time for the players to relearn how to commit to two way play, can't just flip a switch when the issue isn't a coach losing the room.

Reactions: Cosmix

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
1 - Team doesn't support one another. Goalie often left on his own, defense get little help from forwards, and forward in puck battles don't have much help. Too many guys trying the win games by themselves.

2 - Coaching. Lack of a solid system that suits the team, lack of accountability, way too easygoing a culture.

3 - Injuries and mind games. Good players out with big injuries and then guys who are back from injury are playing a soft "I don't wanna get injured" style of game.

4 - Scheduling. I mean really...wtf is this shit all year?

5 - Team construction. Having a bazillion LD and one RD (who has an injury history) is silly...especially when also going out last year to get another LD. Lots of copycat forwards. Where's the big punishing guys? Where are the muckers? Too many non-physical skill guys. Can't have Brady be the one to do most of the fighting and physical work, either.

Sad thing is, if #1 was fixed at the beginning of the year, there would've been a good chance to get a wildcard spot even with all the other flaws.
You could add this team lacks speed...and doesn't win one on one battles...

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
You could add this team lacks speed...and doesn't win one on one battles...

I don’t think the team lacks speed at all. There are less stretch passes so maybe that’s what you mean but that was done because whenever those were picked off (which was often) it would give the opposing team grade A scoring chances in our zone.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
1. Ownership
2. Management
3. Coaching

All these have been fixed or at least changed. Hopefully next year brings better results and they can get this rudderless ship on course. Hard to blame Andlauer and Co. for any of this, gotta look at the people that built it, this was basically their vision that we're seeing out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: LiseL and DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don’t think the team lacks speed at all. There are less stretch passes so maybe that’s what you mean but that was done because whenever those were picked off (which was often) it would give the opposing team grade A scoring chances in our zone.
We have guys that are fast, but we don't play with speed.

Playing with speed means getting the puck to the next guy clean and in stride, that sets the breakout rolling downhill instead of trying to get things moving. playing with Speed means anticipating the oppositions next move on the forcheck and attacking in layers, force the play and already have someone tracking the next guy before he gets it.

Playing with speed is about supporting your linemates, and moving as a unit. you don't need to be fast to play with speed, you have to be in sync. We aren't in sync.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
It’s one of those inexplicable things. I mean.. We’re a team.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
1. Ownership
2. Management
3. Coaching

All these have been fixed or at least changed. Hopefully next year brings better results and they can get this rudderless ship on course. Hard to blame Andlauer and Co. for any of this, gotta look at the people that built it, this was basically their vision that we're seeing out there.
Ownership seems to be better.
Management is a question mark at this time, even with Dorion gone.
Coaching is a work in process as Martin is interim only; Alfie is new to the task and Capuano is part of the past failed coaching staff.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Ownership seems to be better.
Management is a question mark at this time, even with Dorion gone.
Coaching is a work in process as Martin is interim only; Alfie is new to the task and Capuano is part of the past failed coaching staff.
Yes, hence my inclusion of at least changed. At least we're not slamming our heads into the same wall anymore.

Reactions: DrEasy and Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I wonder what Staois will do to address the head scout and scouting for amateur and pro players. That seems to be a weak spot at this time.

Reactions: DrEasy

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

I think the problem with the PP is running it thru a left shot on the left side. It's not working.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
1. Andlauer and Staios needing time to "evaluate" what they have is the biggest reason for me. Thinking DJ and Dorion deserved to start the season is the biggest reason we're in our hole. Needed to cut the core of the losing culture we have right there.

2. Lack of mental toughness. Our captain whining to the media to the point where he looks softer than Spezza. This lack of mental fortitude is present throughout our roster. Alay

3. Relying on players to bounce back from injuries and be 100.

4. Having one of the easiest defences in the league to play against.

5. Endless cycle of goalies letting in softies, team has no confidence in goalie, who in turn continues to suck.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
the last 5-8 years

good teams:
Pittsburgh--- predominantly a team built with players drafted or entered the league pre 2015
Tampa Bay--- predominantly a team built with players drafted or entered the league pre 2015
Vegas--- predominantly a team built with players drafted or entered the league pre 2015
Colorado -- predominantly a team built with players drafted or entered the league pre 2015
Dallas-- while no cup, very successful, built with players who entered the league pre 2015
Boston -- while no cup, very successful, built with players who entered the league pre 2015

the mid pack/under achiever/pseudo bull shit teams
Toronto--- players around 2015.. key players came after 2015
Edmonton --- players around 2015

the losers/underachievers/mired in mediocracy
Ottawa--- players from 2015 onwards
Buffalo -- players from 2015 onwards
Detroit -- players from 2015 onwards
SJ and Anaheim -- players from 2015 onwards (they are a different class as they are only 4-5 years in bullshit land)
Arizona -- players from 2015 onwards (God has forsaken that franchise and there is nothing they can ever do.... these are forces beyond their control)

is anyone seeing a trend?????

there is a saving grace... As time marshes on, pre 2015 players will age out and post 2015 player will be all that is left and someone has to win.

Maybe our batch of Gen Z can be less bad than the rest of the league. Don't lose faith people.. aging is on our side.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Jacques was recently mentioning again the famous Steve Yzerman story, about how he switched from getting 150 pts a year to one who focused on defense. And Yzerman became legendary after that. You can see some of that attitude in Giroux. When he is on the ice there is a noticeable difference in his commitment or attitude to the game that just seems different from all the other players. Gretz used to tell that story all the time about the first time he made it to the finals and lost to the Isles. He walked by their dressing room expecting to see them whooping it up but they were exhausted and nursing wounds. And Gretz began to understand what is needed after that.

That was another thing Jacques mentioned. The mental game. Do they have that in them? There is another level they need to get to and a new mindset for how to win. Amongst all the other stuff too of course. The good thing is that the coaches have a lot of good material to get their attention and make that case now. Can the players get there and remould themselves. Time will tell. I think they have it in them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad