GDT: first winning streak of the season GDT vs flames

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
The neat thing about Fleury is he looks like he just gives zero f***s at all times. He never gets frantic. Against the Oilers I think it was, somebody came in hot on the forecheck behind the net and Fleur just kind shrugged him off, tossed him into the boards and flicked the puck back up the ice as casually as you would take a bite of a sandwich or something.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
The neat thing about Fleury is he looks like he just gives zero f***s at all times. He never gets frantic. Against the Oilers I think it was, somebody came in hot on the forecheck behind the net and Fleur just kind shrugged him off, tossed him into the boards and flicked the puck back up the ice as casually as you would take a bite of a sandwich or something.

I take my eats very seriously sir

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I think we might get to the point here where Hanifin-Faulk or Hanifin-TVR are considered the opposition's "let's get our stars out against this opportunity" line. Considering where the Canes defense has been over the past 20 years that is just bananas.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
something that you can never really quantify is how a player will react to the elevated emotion and stakes of an NHL game. I know we talk about it constantly, but Boychuk was one of those guys from almost his first shift that I could tell wasn't cut out for the league. everything about it seemed to overwhelm. the speed, the quickness in which you had to make decisions, the physicality. he seemed like he was treading water out there. Fleury is the opposite. nothing about this overwhelms him. that bodes extremely well for his long term prospects. he'll have growing pains for sure and he has already, but he looks like the real deal as a middle pairing minutes eater if he can keep his trajectory.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I take my eats very seriously sir

giphy.gif

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I think we might get to the point here where Hanifin-Faulk or Hanifin-TVR are considered the opposition's "let's get our stars out against this opportunity" line. Considering where the Canes defense has been over the past 20 years that is just bananas.

And to think, we traded away Dumoulin and Ryan Murphy flopped. I've said this before, but it was only 5 seasons ago after Joni got hurt where our defense consisted of Gleason-Corvo (our shutdown pair :laugh:), Harrison-Faulk, and a mish-mash of McBain, Sanguinetti, and MAB.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Exceedingly small sample size and not really that relevant yet, but what the hell.

Here's how the Canes rank so far this year. Green means better than last year, Red means worse than last year, black means about the same.

GF/GP: 22nd (last year 20th)
GA/GP: 4th (last year 13th)
SF/GP: 13th (last year 14th)
SA/GP: 8th - even with the EDM game (last year 5th)
PP%: 13th (last year 21st)
PK%: 13th (last year 6th)
PIM/GP: 1st- meaning least amount (last year 1st..lol)
SV%: 9th (last year 27th)
SH%: 24th; (last year 20th)
FOW%: 17th; (last year 4th)

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Exceedingly small sample size and not really that relevant yet, but what the hell.

Here's how the Canes rank so far this year. Green means better than last year, Red means worse than last year, black means about the same.

GF/GP: 22nd (last year 20th)
SF/GP: 13th (last year 14th)
PP%: 13th (last year 21st)
PK%: 13th (last year 6th)
PIM/GP: 1st- meaning least amount (last year 1st..lol)
SH%: 24th; (last year 20th)
FOW%: 17th; (last year 4th)

Are the numbers for last year "at the same point during the year" numbers, or end of season ranking numbers? They look like end of season ranking, but I'm too lazy to look up and will let you tell me.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

Huh, so it's like we had some kind of idea what the f*** we were talking about when we said our defense was excellent last year and that the only reason their numbers didn't look even better is because our goaltending was dog shit. But that can't be right, we're just a bunch of dumb rednecks that don't really KNOW hockey and/or are just significantly overvaluing inferior players. I mean there's no f***ing way we could have been absolutely right all along.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
And to think, we traded away Dumoulin and Ryan Murphy flopped. I've said this before, but it was only 5 seasons ago after Joni got hurt where our defense consisted of Gleason-Corvo (our shutdown pair :laugh:), Harrison-Faulk, and a mish-mash of McBain, Sanguinetti, and MAB.

Small sample size, but through 4 games Murphy has just one assist and is a -3. In the AHL.

Imagine if we had taken Klefbom a few picks later.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
It's still a pretty good PK. But when Hainsey left last year the numbers started to drop. Think he was a big contributor to the success of the PK last season.

That's the connection I made initially, but interestingly, the numbers tell a different story.

MonthPK%Rank
October85.210
November93.52
December87.15
January85.37
February (Pre-Hainsey Trade)78.320
February (Post-Hanisey Trade)7519
March82.514
April66.727
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
The PK started to slip before Hainsey left.

You can attribute that crazy peak last season to unsustainably good goaltending while shorthanded by Ward. From November through December, he had a .933 SV% in that situation. To compare, Ward's combined SV% while shorthanded under Peters is only .873.

Source --> www.nhl.com/stats

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho

The thought of this line-up makes me cringe now that we have what we have. It was a suppressed cringe back then, the smile to keep from crying approach. Now, I literally want to vomit thinking that we iced that "situation".

Last edited:

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Huh, so it's like we had some kind of idea what the **** we were talking about when we said our defense was excellent last year and that the only reason their numbers didn't look even better is because our goaltending was dog ****. But that can't be right, we're just a bunch of dumb rednecks that don't really KNOW hockey and/or are just significantly overvaluing inferior players. I mean there's no ****ing way we could have been absolutely right all along.

z5aOLEf.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad