GDT: first winning streak of the season GDT vs flames

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I think the lines are getting close but I'm not quite a fan of Aho/Rask/Lindholm. Wasn't a fan of McGinn with Skinner and Ryan either. That line should be much better if you replace McGinn with Stempniak, though. I really like the 4th line with Jooris, such a legit 4th line.
Overall I thought last night was the best game so far. Last year this early they would've found a way to lose in OT.

Unless Rask starts playing better, there really is no solution. Aho/Rask/Lindholm or TT/Rask/Williams. Neither of them seem to work so far and it's not like we can put Ryan in one of those spots either. I'm not ready to throw in the towel on Rask yet, but he needs to get it going in the next 10 days or so.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Fleury is really growing on me. I really liked his dragging of Tkachuk during the scrum after the Backlund penalty on TT.

I've been impressed. He still makes some mistakes, as all rookie defensemen do, but he's been pretty solid all around on the games I've seen. I expected him to be pretty good defensively, to be physical and to be a good skater, but I've been surprised by his passing and ability to quickly move the puck up the ice. I also was concerned that the game would be too fast for him and he would be slow in decision making and I haven't seen any of that either. He has been decisive and making things look natural.

Granted, he's being used in a more limited role, but he's been solid. Hopefully it continues.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I think the lines are getting close but I'm not quite a fan of Aho/Rask/Lindholm. Wasn't a fan of McGinn with Skinner and Ryan either. That line should be much better if you replace McGinn with Stempniak, though. I really like the 4th line with Jooris, such a legit 4th line.
Overall I thought last night was the best game so far. Last year this early they would've found a way to lose in OT.

At this point, I'd sit Rask at the next home game and go with Necas in his place. If we play the defensive game we played last night and have last change, replacing Rask with Necas should be a net positive with the way Rask has been not showing up.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I also was concerned that the game would be too fast for him and he would be slow in decision making and I haven't seen any of that either. He has been decisive and making things look natural.

Yeah, that was my big concern with him as well. To me, he didn't look great his last year in Junior when he was called up to the WJC. He looked hesitant and unsure when playing against a team of guys with elite level talent across the board. I was sure we were looking at Murphy 2.0.

I. WAS. WRONG.

So far, he looks more like Pesce 2.0 than Murphy. If he continues this level of play, I will be very happy and he might push Hanifin back down a pairing.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I'd like to see Skinner/Rask/Lindholm to try to get Rask going. Problem with it is that it eliminates an entire line being a threat.

Exactly. In order for Ryan and Rask to work as a 2c/3c, we can't need them both to perform. Again, I'm not going to over-react right now because the team is winning and they haven't played enough games to get into a rhythm, but after 10 or so more games, we need the lines clicking.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I knew our defense was going to be good this year, but man... the last couple games have really impressed me with just how good it is. And if Darling can keep making the kinds of saves he did last night, this team could be sneaky good, especially if the offense comes around.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I've been impressed. He still makes some mistakes, as all rookie defensemen do, but he's been pretty solid all around on the games I've seen. I expected him to be pretty good defensively, to be physical and to be a good skater, but I've been surprised by his passing and ability to quickly move the puck up the ice. I also was concerned that the game would be too fast for him and he would be slow in decision making and I haven't seen any of that either. He has been decisive and making things look natural.

Granted, he's being used in a more limited role, but he's been solid. Hopefully it continues.

How long has it been since we've been able to say that we could afford to use one of our first round prospects in a limited role? So nice to see proper development working. Fleury has had so much shit talked about him (not on here, by other fans) so I'm happy for him and of course for the team for having what looks to be another future top 4 d.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
And if playing Cam sparingly gives us the same Cam we saw against the Oilers, that alone is probably 6 or more points on the season.

Imagine solving our starting goaltender woes and having our first competent backup in years all in one offseason.

Could potentially go from one of the worst tandems last year to one of the better ones.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I get the sense that Stempniak is further than 2 weeks away. From Mike Smith's tweetmail on Wednesday it sounds like end of this month is more of a "best case".

Lee Stempniak remains sidelined with an upper-body injury that's been nagging for some time now. We've seen him around the room, whether it's on the bike or roaming around after the first two home games, but he's yet to join the team at practice. That's going to be the first critical step in him returning to game action. From there, he'll add contact in practice to see how his body reacts, and then it's a matter of when he will be medically cleared to play again. So, we're looking at Monday at the earliest for a return to practice and, best-case scenario, he could make his season debut by the end of the month.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Remember when the Islanders called up 2 goons who never played in the NHL before or after just to go after us in one late season game? Remember how we beat them 11-2 or something stupid like that? Good times.

I remember that game. I think it was 9-0. But yeah, whenever the Canes actually do that well against at team its like they are embarassed and must met out retribution.

How about the 1st game against Boston the next season after the '09 playoff run where they promptly broke Eric Cole's leg and smashed Jay Harrison's face for him. Maurice was all like "Oh, yeah, I don't expect any retaliation for last year" before the game. Pow.

Reactions: Tryamw and vorbis

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
How about the 1st game against Boston the next season after the '09 playoff run where they promptly broke Eric Cole's leg and smashed Jay Harrison's face for him. Maurice was all like "Oh, yeah, I don't expect any retaliation for last year" before the game. Pow.

Well, in fairness, that ones probably the Canes fault for icing Jay Harrison in the first place.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
W
I remember that game. I think it was 9-0. But yeah, whenever the Canes actually do that well against at team its like they are embarassed and must met out retribution.

was that the year where the Bruins penalty box at one point had something like 6 guys in it at once?

Reactions: vorbis

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

I miss being good enough for people to hate like those two teams hated us.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Imagine solving our starting goaltender woes and having our first competent backup in years all in one offseason.

Could potentially go from one of the worst tandems last year to one of the better ones.

I think it's looking pretty positive in this regard. Ward was a machine the other night. We haven't seen him stop that many pucks in years, not to mention make 2 great saves right after a softy. As far as Darling goes, he is proving he's the #1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad