Series Discussion: First Round matchup Jets vs Wild

Who will win this series?

• Total voters

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
Of course game one is on Wednesday, the only night where I'm going to miss half the game and there's nothing I can do about it.

That being said I believe this will be a long run, and I'm more concerned about the second round and maybe getting a ticket for then. I hope this isn't a jinx post.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
And vice versa too.

The first game Minnesota was missing Granlund, Coyle, Parise and Niederreiter.
The second game Minnesota was missing Coyle and Parise, had just gotten Granlund and Neiderreiter back and had Stalock in net.
The third game Minnesota was missing Coyle, Parise and Spurgeon and had Stalock in net.

Seeler and Soucy hadn't come up from the AHL yet. They are big, physical defenders. Seeler has been very good. The sample size is too small to be meaningful with Soucy but he has been good so far in the games he has played.

Sometimes the regular season match ups tell you nothing about how a playoff series is going to go. This is one of those. On paper the Jets are better, but these two teams haven't faced each other in their current form so who knows what will happen.

The Jets were basically injured all season. There was only a handful of games where they iced a full lineup. We were rarely able to dress our best 4C. One game against Nashville on a B2B we were missing at C Scheifele Stastny Lowry Hendricks. And our backup goalies got concussed. It's hard to argue Minnesota was more affected by injuries than the Jets and get any sort of sympathy around here.

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
The Jets were basically injured all season. There was only a handful of games where they iced a full lineup. We were rarely able to dress our best 4C. One game against Nashville on a B2B we were missing at C Scheifele Stastny Lowry Hendricks. And our backup goalies got concussed. It's hard to argue Minnesota was more affected by injuries than the Jets and get any sort of sympathy around here.
Not looking for sympathy, just saying that anyone who uses the regular season match ups between these teams to make a point is on shaky ground.

Reactions: Jets2point0

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014

He clearly wasn't arguing that "Minnesota was more affected by injuries than the Jets." His point was that Minny was seriously affected by injuries when the Jets played them and will be a considerably different team the next time they play.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Not looking for sympathy, just saying that anyone who uses the regular season match ups between these teams to make a point is on shaky ground.

O yeah...the games were so early they really don't tell much. I'm using the 114 points the Jets gained in the standings as a more relevant prediction tool.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
I am going to be unbelievably wasted for game 1. I will be more responsible for the rest of the playoffs (knock on wood) but game 1 is going to be too much fun...

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
I am going to be unbelievably wasted for game 1. I will be more responsible for the rest of the playoffs (knock on wood) but game 1 is going to be too much fun...

I have s feeling climbing the stairs to my seat in row 5 is going to feel like I am summiting Mount Everest :D...

And just like climbing Everest the decent will be even more dangerous then the ascent:D

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
Hopefully Trouba is good for game 1. The Wild do have a pretty good underrated forward core, and some of them seem like they are built to excel in tight/heavy games. I bet Enstrom is back for game 2.

How do you see Maurice matching at home? Lowry against top Minny line? Obviously he would prob prefer to keep our top 2 lines away from the Koivu line

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
I have s feeling climbing the stairs to my seat in row 5 is going to feel like I am summiting Mount Everest :D...

And just like climbing Everest the decent will be even more dangerous then the ascent:D

Someone I know is flying in to Winnipeg for a few playoff games. Someone that, obviously, has more money than me. You guys that can go in person are so lucky. Bring earplugs though it will damage your hearing.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Hopefully Trouba is good for game 1. The Wild do have a pretty good underrated forward core, and some of them seem like they are built to excel in tight/heavy games. I bet Enstrom is back for game 2.

How do you see Maurice matching at home? Lowry against top Minny line? Obviously he would prob prefer to keep our top 2 lines away from the Koivu line
I'd be shocked if Mo doesn't hard match Lowry's line in a shutdown role to free up offense with Scheifele and Stastny's lines.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Doesn't really matter. He wont see any time. You don't run a backup in the playoffs
Actually you do. When Pittsburgh was in the playoffs last year there were several games Fleury still played. Same with other backups. When series are long and you play 14 games chances are the backup will get at least one or two of those.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Actually you do. When Pittsburgh was in the playoffs last year there were several games Fleury still played. Same with other backups. When series are long and you play 14 games chances are the backup will get at least one or two of those.
Fleury played because Murray got injured in the game 1 warm up. Other than for an injury situation the backup only plays if a game goes off the rails and the starter is given a little rest. I would expect Helly to start every single game we play in the playoffs.

Reactions: Peter Tagli Eddie

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

I would put money on Trouba playing game 1. I'm fairly confident Enstrom will play in game 1. I also think Kuli will be back in this series.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I have a feeling Enstrom won’t be ready for game 1. Kuli, forget it.

Maurice said a bit ago that Enstrom should be good for game 1. I think he could have played before but they were being safe. Not sure if Kulikov has even started skating yet?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad