Speculation: First BIG move now that the off season is here

RCAFguy

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
I don't quite think it's rushing given what Friedman said,

12. "When it comes to Patrik Laine, it sounds like he and the Jets are trying to solve an issue before it really becomes a problem. Winnipeg has term with Mark Schiefle, Nikolai Ehlers, Kyle Connor, and Blake Wheeler. That’s what they like and it’s why I think an Ehlers trade, as has been rumoured, is not Winnipeg’s want. Laine’s next negotiation will be massive. In the meantime, the winger wants guarantees of playing with Scheifele, which the Jets aren’t so willing to give. My sense is the Jets are saying, “Let’s try and do this now before we have to negotiate again.”

There’s a legit chance it happens. Columbus, hoping to make a major move, is in there, but is there a match? Same with Carolina. Two teams that could do it: Los Angeles and Philadelphia. I’m just not sure they would. I also wonder about the Islanders. It’s the kind of stealth move Lou Lamoriello would love. But they’ve got cap issues and it’s not like he’d give us a hint."
Notice that theres not a whisper about Montreal in there. Good.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Not a bad idea actually.

While I think Sergachev has definitely benefited from being insulated in that lineup, I'd certainly entertain it. Romanov is a virtual lock to make the club. With Chiarot and Edmundson in the fold, someone would have to go of Chia and Ed. They both a NMC 10 team list.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I don't quite think it's rushing given what Friedman said,

12. "When it comes to Patrik Laine, it sounds like he and the Jets are trying to solve an issue before it really becomes a problem. Winnipeg has term with Mark Schiefle, Nikolai Ehlers, Kyle Connor, and Blake Wheeler. That’s what they like and it’s why I think an Ehlers trade, as has been rumoured, is not Winnipeg’s want. Laine’s next negotiation will be massive. In the meantime, the winger wants guarantees of playing with Scheifele, which the Jets aren’t so willing to give. My sense is the Jets are saying, “Let’s try and do this now before we have to negotiate again.”

There’s a legit chance it happens. Columbus, hoping to make a major move, is in there, but is there a match? Same with Carolina. Two teams that could do it: Los Angeles and Philadelphia. I’m just not sure they would. I also wonder about the Islanders. It’s the kind of stealth move Lou Lamoriello would love. But they’ve got cap issues and it’s not like he’d give us a hint."
It's definitely rushing when he has another year on his deal and multiple years of team control after. Friedman might've looked smarter when he had his pandemic beard, but don't be fooled, he still doesn't know anything, especially about the Jets. "That's what they like" is weak speculation.

And Laine played most of last season with Scheifele.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Chevy hasn't made any big trades until he was forced to. He waited until Kane got thrown out of the room before moving him, despite him quietly asking for a trade for years before that. He waited until Trouba got within a season of walking for nothing before trading him. Laine has another year on his contract and 2 more years of team control after that. I don't see Chevy trading him unless the return is really good. There's no reason to otherwise.

For all his flaws (see username), I can't see him rushing to make a bad move.
Wasn't there a problem between big buff and wheeler when it came to Laine? You really think it's a good idea to have a disgruntled star in your locker room? If Laine isn't going to be played with who he wants to play with I am pretty sure his only choice will be to demand a trade. Then his value is lower and you get less. All signs point to Laine not liking it in Winnipeg or he still has problems in that locker room that isn't being talked about. The video posted a few pages back when asked if it was going to be with the jets and he answers with a generic maybe and goes on a small spiel about it being a business is weird most players would just say yes I'd love to stay with so and so team and if he's traded he can just point to management and he's off the hook.

Whoops video is in the Laine mega thread.

Video is a year old but yeah I just find it strange why he didn't just give them a yes I'd like to stay a jet and leave it at that.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
It's definitely rushing when he has another year on his deal and multiple years of team control after. Friedman might've looked smarter when he had his pandemic beard, but don't be fooled, he still doesn't know anything, especially about the Jets. "That's what they like" is weak speculation.

And Laine played most of last season with Scheifele.
Is “playing with Scheifele” something a GM can guarantee when you’re signing a multi-year deal? Chevy can dictate who’s on the roster but he’s not making line changes plus you never know if a different GM will be there. I obviously don’t know how these negotiations go though.

Sonofamitch

Aug 2, 2013
Vaughan,ON
I’m going to say the flames make a move to deal a member of their core. I’ll go with Johnny hockey, but Monahan wouldn’t surprise me either.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
While I think Sergachev has definitely benefited from being insulated in that lineup, I'd certainly entertain it. Romanov is a virtual lock to make the club. With Chiarot and Edmundson in the fold, someone would have to go of Chia and Ed. They both a NMC 10 team list.

In that case I don’t see it happening. and if it did, their Top 4 would be pretty damn balanced

MCB

Jun 21, 2019
Hope the Habs jump on this if they can't land a bigger fish through trade 16th pick+ prospect for rakell?
Ive seen a few proposals or discussions where some said they would take that (I would). I also heard on the ducks draft thread that our head of scouting (madden) has stated his view of cut off for players was 12, but I don't have the link or the quote so take it for what it's worth.

Mar 20, 2010
Arizona seems determined to get draft picks so would think they would do something soon. Getting a first would probably require a pretty big move.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
For what return?

Whatever makes both teams happy. I'd say for $0.75 on the dollar in trade value. Would have to be for futures cause Tampa only doing that cause they need cap space. What futures? I'm a Habs fan and not going to touch that for the Avs. Up to them to decide.

I can see that happening.. won't be shocked.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Jonny Hockey to Habs for Domi, Tatar (50% retained) and Chicago's 2020 2nd rounder.
Domi signs with Flames for 3 years @ 4.5-5.5M per season and Tatar (being on a contract year, of course) has a career year.

In the following off-season one of the GMs who signed Lucic, Neal or Eriksson to their bloated contracts will sign Tatar to 6.5M X 5 years and regret it 40 games into the following season.

The media will question said GM with great scrutiny, but somehow the "it is what it is" phrase will answer all questions and concerns and enable said GM to piss away team's cap space and assets in failed attempts to put the ship in the right direction before getting fired.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I don't know what the move will be, but I'll bet it involves Buffalo. They've got 11 players signed and 34 mil in cap space.

RCAFguy

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
Wasn't there a problem between big buff and wheeler when it came to Laine? You really think it's a good idea to have a disgruntled star in your locker room? If Laine isn't going to be played with who he wants to play with I am pretty sure his only choice will be to demand a trade. Then his value is lower and you get less. All signs point to Laine not liking it in Winnipeg or he still has problems in that locker room that isn't being talked about. The video posted a few pages back when asked if it was going to be with the jets and he answers with a generic maybe and goes on a small spiel about it being a business is weird most players would just say yes I'd love to stay with so and so team and if he's traded he can just point to management and he's off the hook.

Whoops video is in the Laine mega thread.

Video is a year old but yeah I just find it strange why he didn't just give them a yes I'd like to stay a jet and leave it at that.

They still won't trade Laine for MTL's package. All reports and signs point to MTL being completely out of the running.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
The King being bought out was a pretty BIG thing. Just goes to show you that those 7th rounds picks can turn out.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Is “playing with Scheifele” something a GM can guarantee when you’re signing a multi-year deal? Chevy can dictate who’s on the roster but he’s not making line changes plus you never know if a different GM will be there. I obviously don’t know how these negotiations go though.
The guarantee of playing with Scheifele is media speculation. He's said before he wants to play with him and that's understandable, but it's another matter to speculate he wants guarantees like that. No team can guarantee something like that, which is why this speculation doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad