Speculation: Firesale?

Do you want us to sell bigtime and what return do you want?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lemieuxfan

Oct 12, 2006
Cologne
Hey everybody,

I would love to know what you guys want to do.

I personaly would go for the big firesale for picks only.

Why picks? We need a fresh new start. That can take years, so it would be wise to restock form 0. We don't have much promising players in the farm at the moment (if any).

Thoughts?

It was meant: Sell the players over 25, not under - sorry

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think if we’re still sucking by January and we can get 2nds or 1sts for guys that aren’t likely to re-sign anyway we should do it. A few 2nds can be flipped for a 1st and a couple 1sts can be flipped for an early 1st and that early 1st could help you right away.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
At least this indefinite purgatory half ass plan might be out the door. Either have the firesale or make a move to improve the team now.

At the very least, we should be promoting WBS guys in place of the plethora of guys playing like trash. But to continue to do nothing, trademark Hextall, is absolutely pathetic and unacceptable.

The easiest solution would be to fire Sully and see what happens. A coach with a little creativity might do wonders. A GM/coach not afraid to bench pluggers would be great too. Bring up a guy to play in Blueger’s spot or ZAR’s.

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
I just don’t think I’m ready for 10 years of sucking for the sake of a few second round picks. If we miss the playoffs this year, don’t blow it up. Change the coaching and try again. Tear it to the ground rebuilds are a dangerous game. Ask Buffalo and Arizona how that worked out for them. They had Eichel and nobody good to play with him because they traded all their guys for late picks.

If we’re going to miss this year, trade the guys who won’t sign back, if we believe there are any.

Don’t overestimate how much these second rounders and later actually help a rebuild. We aren’t that lucky for it to work out well. Squeeze everything we can out of now. Sucking is on the horizon, let’s not rush to meet it.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I don't really see the sense in trading younger, skilled players like Guentzel and Kapanen with good cap hits just to acquire unknowns that you hope turn out to be players of their caliber down the line. You're going from having a good asset to having mystery and a long waiting period.
Well, I guess I would if there were multiple good picks, or one really high one. But that's not gonna happen.

I'm open to trading the old guys. I love Letang's play still but how long can he realistically keep this up? If we're not gonna win the next few years anyway then now is the time to cash in. Crosby is regressing and no longer a playoff performer. Getting slower all the time. You can still get a great return just because of his name.
Malkin has massive injury concerns, but a GM could still overpay for him because of the past.

I'm with @Jacob in that if this season's a write-off, then the mission has to be to salvage return value for impending UFA's before they walk for nothing. And we have a ton of them.

Pens are starting to get into a legitimate hole now. They would have to win the next 5 straight to get back to .600, a mark likely needed to make the playoffs in this division.
Or to put it another way, the Pens need to play .627 hockey from now until the end of the season to end up with 98 points, which is a good benchmark historically for the cut-off line.

It's slowly getting dire for a team that doesn't really have the weapons to maintain that kind of level anymore.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Sell UFAs

But it's hard to improve on the skill or value (well, the pre re-sign value) of most all UFAs in a trade

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
It's not, but he's asking us what we'd like to see, not what we think we will see.

caddyshack-judge.gif

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
For a little perspective, this team has started badly or mediocre 2016, 2018, and 2019 and they didn’t have the same injury hiccups as this team. Not saying there aren’t problems, but people here are just weirdly excited to blow up the team, like they just don’t want the anxiety of expectations anymore, more than just seeing the team as objectively sunk without options.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Step 1. Fire the coach (that tends to work for us)

If we look good, keep the UFAs and maybe add a piece. Might as well go for it.

If we look like ass even with a new coach and Malkin back, you trade the UFAs. You can get a 1st and a B tier prospect each for Rust and Malkin. Letang could fetch more I think. Like 1st + 2nd + A tier (but not 'blue chip') prospect.

Starting a rebuild with 3 1sts and a small pile of prospects would be cool.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Agree that first step should be firing the coach…unfortunately I doubt it happens with the new ownership group now, if it ever was realistic…after that, UFAs who won’t be signing…that won’t include Geno because of injury and NMC btw…don’t see the return there…if he’s killing it when he returns, they should want him back

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I'm in favor of firing Sully and trading Rust and ZAR (if anybody wants him).

I'd be open to moving any of Jake, Kap, Zucker, and one of the LD at any time. If things don't get turned around here soon, then I'd be looking to trade Carter at the deadline and possibly Letang if resigning him doesn't look promising.

I'm against trading Malkin unless he explicitly says that he's not going to re-sign....unless of course they are out of it and there is a handshake agreement for him to comeback as a UFA :laugh:

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
For a little perspective, this team has started badly or mediocre 2016, 2018, and 2019 and they didn’t have the same injury hiccups as this team. Not saying there aren’t problems, but people here are just weirdly excited to blow up the team, like they just don’t want the anxiety of expectations anymore, more than just seeing the team as objectively sunk without options.

People just hunger for change. I get it after three straight first round exits.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
People just hunger for change. I get it after three straight first round exits.

I want change too. I have very little attachment to most of these guys who’ve arrived after 2017. I just don’t get the logic of dealing Malkin and Letang because the team is bad in November when Malkin hasn’t played at all and Crosby has played 3 games.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Well, if they're not firing the coach ...

See where we are in the standings after the holiday break. If we're still a bottom feeder, I think you go big and start talking (if you haven't already) to Letang/Geno about what they want and where they'd prefer to go. Letang will get a great return with retention. Geno won't be as easy to move for a few reasons (cap hit/fewer potential destinations, might not be as eager to waive). Depending on how that washes out, the next tier I look at is Jake/Dumo. Rust should go no matter what. He'll be way overpriced for what he brings.

Honestly, I'd expect anyone not named Crosby to be shopped at that point. And, if Letang/Geno go, it wouldn't surprise me a whole lot if he asked ...

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I want change too. I have very little attachment to most of these guys who’ve arrived after 2017. I just don’t get the logic of dealing Malkin and Letang because the team is bad in November when Malkin hasn’t played at all and Crosby has played 3 games.

I'd rather move the rest of the players and keep at least Crosby/Malkin as well. Probably Letang too because I think you're done as a competitive team if you move Letang out and don't replace him.

Anyone else is fair game for me. I feel like you could bring about big change to the team by moving out the supporting cast and possibly changing the coach as well. No reason to completely nuke things imo.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

If we are out of the playoffs in January and they have not signed, why would we not move them?

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I'd rather move the rest of the players and keep at least Crosby/Malkin as well. Probably Letang too because I think you're done as a competitive team if you move Letang out and don't replace him.

Anyone else is fair game for me. I feel like you could bring about big change to the team by moving out the supporting cast and possibly changing the coach as well. No reason to completely nuke things imo.

Yea exactly. I’m fine with dealing Rust, Guentzel, Dumo, Zucker, Jarry or Kapanen or whoever for the right deal. I’m even fine with getting a new coach even though I’m not sold that it’s going to help this team. Just don’t understand the desire to close the book on the golden age of Penguins hockey without trying like, anything else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad