Proposal: Fire Schwartz Billboard

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
why stop there though, do we know the equipment guys are sharpening skates properly? are the they hanging the jerseys in the right order? maybe we should fire them too?
What is so ridiculous about the real world concept that people that are inept at their roles and can't perform their jobs get fired or let go?

This is the competitive world of pro sports in a results based business. It isn't some sleepy college where a bunch of yesman have endless tenure.

How on Earth should Schwartz still have a job in 2023? Its obvious his instruction has not worked with any of our goalies and the best goalies we've had have ignored Schwartz or had their own goalie coach.

The only reason Schwartz still has a job is that the org doesn't expedite any managerial movements. Its the country club we complain about.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Seems like people don't get the reference. After K Lowe's Mike Comrie "pay your way out of your contract" fiasco that burned a potential trade for a valuable player and numerous other f*** ups a guy parked a truck around the then Oilers office with a Fire K Lowe billboard. The person was parked legally on the street and making no disturbance.

The org in its class and insular nature phoned the police and with Lowe complaining the man in the truck could be dangerous.

This is the type of people we have in Management in this org.

The same org threw people out of the rink for tossing jerseys or carrying Fire Lowe signs. People that paid for their tickets doing nothing wrong.

The org figures always that its beyond reproach and can do no wrong. The orgs response to any and all complaints is to raise ticket prices to "get the riff raff" and "3rd tier" fans out.

The org is contemptible.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Ian Clark with Demko in Ottawa

Who said goalie coaches do nothing? Gage?

Maybe ours does nothing?

1699465660642.png

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
He's Katz buddy. They have similar interests..... he'll never be fired.

WTF?

What a bizarre insinuation to just lay out there.

There have been reports that Daryl Katz loves hanging out with the 80s OIlers greats - but that certainly isn't Dustin Schwartz.

So what "interests" do Katz and Schwartz share? Be specific.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Seems like people don't get the reference. After K Lowe's Mike Comrie "pay your way out of your contract" fiasco that burned a potential trade for a valuable player and numerous other f*** ups a guy parked a truck around the then Oilers office with a Fire K Lowe billboard. The person was parked legally on the street and making no disturbance.

The org in its class and insular nature phoned the police and with Lowe complaining the man in the truck could be dangerous.

This is the type of people we have in Management in this org.

You are aware that K Lowe retired a year ago and has no formal role with the organization, right? And that before you go there, Bob Nicholson is no longer CEO either?

So I "follow" the Oilers because I live in Edmonton, I play and coach hockey in Edmonton, and I know lots of people I love and respect who are die-hard Oilers fans. But as a born-and-raised Winnipegger on the inside I just love it when the Oilers lose.

So while it kills me a little to defend the team and the organization, some of the attacks on the team are almost pathological.

Reactions: rec28

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You are aware that K Lowe retired a year ago and has no formal role with the organization, right? And that before you go there, Bob Nicholson is no longer CEO either?

So I "follow" the Oilers because I live in Edmonton, I play and coach hockey in Edmonton, and I know lots of people I love and respect who are die-hard Oilers fans. But as a born-and-raised Winnipegger on the inside I just love it when the Oilers lose.

So while it kills me a little to defend the team and the organization, some of the attacks on the team are almost pathological.

Poster complains about "attacks" on the org by belittling others. Yeah, got it.

Calling others comments "Bizarre" "Pathological"

nice. Be the change in the world you wish to see...;)

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
What is so ridiculous about the real world concept that people that are inept at their roles and can't perform their jobs get fired or let go?

This is the competitive world of pro sports in a results based business. It isn't some sleepy college where a bunch of yesman have endless tenure.

How on Earth should Schwartz still have a job in 2023? Its obvious his instruction has not worked with any of our goalies and the best goalies we've had have ignored Schwartz or had their own goalie coach.

The only reason Schwartz still has a job is that the org doesn't expedite any managerial movements. Its the country club we complain about.

That doesn’t mean billboards need to be put up. That’s just ignorant and mean spirited. Don’t like it, then don’t watch or go to games. Be a fan of something else.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
That doesn’t mean billboards need to be put up. That’s just ignorant and mean spirited. Don’t like it, then don’t watch or go to games. Be a fan of something else.
I wasn't advocating the billboard and I'm not the OP. But I can certainly understand frustration with the org and that any attempt to express it gets suppressed by the org.

Don't tell me or others what to do..pfft yeah you're doing that..

Legally speaking people can do what they want to. Whether it jives with you or not.

Reactions: greatwhitenorth

Mack a doodle doo

Apr 16, 2016
Fire any and all nepotistic hire's!,... all the brothers, and son's, in-laws, hockey Canada alum ect....

Please! Please!!!-just one time before the McDavid era is done lets try the one thing that's never been tried in Edmonton Oilers history and hire a entire staff(managment,scouting,trainers, ect....) that have absolutely zero previous connection to ANYBODY that's been in the vicinity of this tire fire of an organization over the past 20 years.

Reactions: Shizuka

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Poster complains about "attacks" on the org by belittling others. Yeah, got it.

Calling others comments "Bizarre" "Pathological"

nice. Be the change in the world you wish to see...;)

Just to be clear - I used the word "pathological", but not "bizarre".

Attack me all you like - just be accurate.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Fire any and all nepotistic hire's!,... all the brothers, and son's, in-laws, hockey Canada alum ect....

Please! Please!!!-just one time before the McDavid era is done lets try the one thing that's never been tried in Edmonton Oilers history and hire a entire staff(managment,scouting,trainers, ect....) that have absolutely zero previous connection to ANYBODY that's been in the vicinity of this tire fire of an organization over the past 20 years.

So look - the OIlers have lots of room to be attacked for nepotism or OBC hires. What exactly has Paul Coffee done in the last 20 years to justify his current role with the team?

But I don't see how Dustin Schwartz can be called a nepotism hire.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I wasn't advocating the billboard and I'm not the OP. But I can certainly understand frustration with the org and that any attempt to express it gets suppressed by the org.

Don't tell me or others what to do..pfft yeah you're doing that..

Legally speaking people can do what they want to. Whether it jives with you or not.

Legally speaking you can’t just do what you want. And there is something albeit disappearing in todays society called public decorum. If you want to rent a billboard that belittles a low tier coach of the Oilers who’s from Edmonton knock yourself out. But it’s ignorant behaviour.

Your 2 posts certainly make the appearance of supporting a billboard and other behaviours that are willfully ignorant. Some people think they pay their money and it gives them licence to act anyway they want.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Legally speaking you can’t just do what you want. And there is something albeit disappearing in todays society called public decorum. If you want to rent a billboard that belittles a low tier coach of the Oilers who’s from Edmonton knock yourself out. But it’s ignorant behaviour.

Your 2 posts certainly make the appearance of supporting a billboard and other behaviours that are willfully ignorant. Some people think they pay their money and it gives them licence to act anyway they want.
Nah. All I'm saying is I understand expression and reaction within reason. A billboard is a pretty tame kind of demonstration. Really it isn't much. Certainly not enough for anybody to be upset about it being suggested (not by me, not by you)

As a fanbase just seems like we're drawing on each other sometimes.

High noon bugger! ;)

jk

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

The thing is - people have the right to be ignorant and boorish.

If someone wants to rent a billboard to say "Fire Schwartz" I would think it is both. But they have a right to do so.

I mean - there are limits to what you can do, legally speaking. If you rent a billboard saying "Kill Schwartz", together with a map to his house, you would be arrested for uttering threats. But those are the kind of limits we're talking about.

You used the word "Pathologicical" and "Bizarre" in consecutive responses to posters.

Not attacking you. Just responding to your flaming.

Touche. I missed that.

But I was calling the posts those words, not the posters themselves.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
The best way to attract future free agents who already consider Edmonton down the list of their choice locations, and who more and more want anonymity in their lives, is to put up a billboard advocating for the firing of a coach who they deem isn't performing to their standards. ;)

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The thing is - people have the right to be ignorant and boorish.

If someone wants to rent a billboard to say "Fire Schwartz" I would think it is both. But they have a right to do so.

I mean - there are limits to what you can do, legally speaking. If you rent a billboard saying "Kill Schwartz", together with a map to his house, you would be arrested for uttering threats. But those are the kind of limits we're talking about.

Touche. I missed that.

But I was calling the posts those words, not the posters themselves.

You have the legal right to act like an ass but it doesn’t make it right. As I said public decorum is pretty much gone as people today think they are more important than anyone else and often act out in public in manners that used to be frowned upon

Yes as fans we are all pissed off and upset over how the Oilers are and the forum is a tiny anonymous place we can all gather to express our opinions and vent that not one Oiler player or coach will read.

Buying a public billboard calling for the termination of one’s livelihood because in that persons opinion he or she deserves to be fired takes fandom too far - in my opinion.

I’d rather take out a billboard about something that matters, like the carbon tax or world peace.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
You have the legal right to act like an ass but it doesn’t make it right. As I said public decorum is pretty much gone as people today think they are more important than anyone else and often act out in public in manners that used to be frowned upon

Yes as fans we are all pissed off and upset over how the Oilers are and the forum is a tiny anonymous place we can all gather to express our opinions and vent that not one Oiler player or coach will read.

Buying a public billboard calling for the termination of one’s livelihood because in that persons opinion he or she deserves to be fired takes fandom too far - in my opinion.

I’d rather take out a billboard about something that matters, like the carbon tax or world peace.
Kill the carbon tax!!

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Kill the carbon tax!!

We can ALL agree on that lol.

Nah. All I'm saying is I understand expression and reaction within reason. A billboard is a pretty tame kind of demonstration. Really it isn't much. Certainly not enough for anybody to be upset about it being suggested (not by me, not by you)

As a fanbase just seems like we're drawing on each other sometimes.

High noon bugger! ;)

jk

All good!

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

I have to admit public decorum isn't something I know too well from growing up in Jasper Place and next to the Klondiker and Saxony hotels in the 60's70's.

Wasn't much public decorum going on there.

jk aside eveybody has different standards. I don't boo at games. Never do that. I don't bring signs at games. I do laugh at instances watching on telly and watch them twice.

I like what you wrote with the bolded. Right.

Again my own working class standards are different. The ethos being is if you don't do your job you don't have one. Period.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Working for the Oilers in the hockey department is a public job. Most fanbases in the NHL dont even know who their goalie coach is, but this is Edmonton- not only do we all know who Dustin Schwartz is, we all know he has been the only consistent and unaccountable component of our goaltending drafting/scouting/development/professional play.... Even a broken clock is right once in a while, but the best goalies we've had here have had their own personal/skills coaches. Schwartz definitely had an opinion on which goalies to pursue and he was definitely wrong.

Whats the point of defending him? I dont think we need to be mean about it, but I also dont think its a bad idea to remind the organization that we are paying attention to their failures. This isnt Detroit.

P.S. Ken Holland should be fired for his role in handling the goaltending system in Edmonton

Last edited:

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Working for the Oilers in the hockey department is a public job. Most fanbases in the NHL dont even know who their goalie coach is, but this is Edmonton- not only do we all know who Dustin Schwartz is, we all know he has been the only consistent and unaccountable component of our goaltending drafting/scouting/development/professional play.... Even a broken clock is right once in a while, but the best goalies we've had here have had their own personal/skills coaches. Schwartz definitely had an opinion on which goalies to pursue and he was definitely wrong.

Whats the point of defending him? I dont think we need to be mean about it, but I also dont think its a bad idea to remond the organization that we are paying attention to their failures.

P.S. Ken Holland should be fired for his role in handling the goaltending system in Edmonton
Further to some excellent points in your post, Schwartz has managed to survive multiple regime turnovers, entire coaching staffs, hell even trainers. How is this possible? Especially when goaltending has been mediocre to abysmal during nearly the entire tenure of this clown? Just beggars belief that the incompetence runs this deep yet they willfully ignore it. They have Olivier Rodrigue's father working with some of the organization's goalies as well as well, and apparently was getting some attention around the league. Get the current clown out and install Rodrigue to see what he can do.

How hard is it for these people in the front office to do their jobs properly? Apparently rather hard. Just goes to show the sense of entitlement that runs through that room, and in the front office.

Reactions: RattsSSV and McDrai

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Whats the point of defending him? I dont think we need to be mean about it, but I also dont think its a bad idea to remind the organization that we are paying attention to their failures. This isnt Detroit.

This. The only accountability even remotely, that this org is exposed to is the expressed discontent of many of its fans. Its really the only time they even give the impression of paying attention.

Thus the only expectation, ever, associated with the club is due to the fans. All org window dressing aside.

When this org was young and fresh off the Bill Hunter honest to goodness goodwill to fans, even giving fans free tickets to next game if team lost, and issuing public apologies, this org was faithful to its fans. It managed to be that even a decade after Bill Hunter, the founder, was connected.

Then the org becomes one that refers to fans as "3rd tier" and "Riff raff"

alas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad