Fire Ken Holland

Status
Not open for further replies.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
If that rental meant the Oilers could have actually had two effective scoring lines in the playoffs it would have been worth it.

But again, the old man didn't even try. That's inexcusable.
nah, the Oilers aren't close to competing for the Cup...no point in wasting assets when they aren't close

Jets did absolutely nothing at the deadline and they swept us...how? their depth, which they build through the draft

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
He probably knew what we showed in the playoffs.
We aren't a single forward rental away from being good.
We basically need to add 3 middle 6 players to stand a legit playoff chance.

Again the idea that a single player couldn't have made a difference in a series where the Oilers dominated overall but couldn't score at key times is risible to me.

Reactions: GOilers88

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
nah, the Oilers aren't close to competing for the Cup...no point in wasting assets when they aren't close

Jets did absolutely nothing at the deadline and they swept us...how? their depth, which they build through the draft

I'd take a wasted first-rounder over a sweep.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Again the idea that a single player couldn't have made a difference in a series where the Oilers dominated overall but couldn't score at key times is risible to me.
I mean our elite guys weren't making the difference either.
Maybe we would of won 1 of the games or hell maybe a second, but this team wasn't winning that series no matter which guy we got at the deadline. The issue is deeper than that.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
cool, so the rental wins us maybe 2 extra games? who cares?
I'll keep the first round to use as currency at the draft...or to build depth

This argument would be a lot more convincing if you also weren't vocally against trading our UFAs at the TDL for assets that could be used to improve the team.

Either you're in or you're out, half-assing it like they did this year doesn't accomplish anything,

Reactions: EagerPug

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I mean our elite guys weren't making the difference either.
Maybe we would of won 1 of the games or hell maybe a second, but this team wasn't winning that series no matter which guy we got at the deadline. The issue is deeper than that.

The Oilers could absolutely have swept that series.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The Oilers could absolutely have swept that series.
With a single other player? Nah
We maybe win a few games, hell maybe we win the series, we would get wrecked later in the playoffs no question.
Is spending a 1st round pick worth MAYBE winning the first round?
I would say not.
Its better spent at the draft for a player with term.
If he uses the pick, yeah I'll be pissed.
Not trading the pick at the deadline with a roster as flawed as ours was the right move.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
They won a coin flip.
They half assed it at the deadline and played even with us every night.
Winnipeg isn't even a top 10 team in the league. Montreal/Toronto would wreck us in the next round and even if we lucked out there, one of Vegas/Colorado would beat is in 4 periods so bad we would of thought it was 4 games.
This team has too many holes to have gone big at the deadline.

Reactions: DecadeofDarkness

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
With a single other player? Nah

That single player bumps other guys down and others out altogether. That's how depth works.

We maybe win a few games, hell maybe we win the series, we would get wrecked later in the playoffs no question.
Is spending a 1st round pick worth MAYBE winning the first round?
I would say not.

As this series showed, anything can happen in the playoffs. But you don't know if you don't even try.

Its better spent at the draft for a player with term.
If he uses the pick, yeah I'll be pissed.
Not trading the pick at the deadline with a roster as flawed as ours was the right move

You're going to be pissed, I'm telling you right now.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
they won because the depth, which they built through good drafting and development, beat our depth

They won because they had a better goalie. That's it.

They half assed it at the deadline and played even with us every night.

That's not true.

Winnipeg isn't even a top 10 team in the league. Montreal/Toronto would wreck us in the next round and even if we lucked out there, one of Vegas/Colorado would beat is in 4 periods so bad we would of thought it was 4 games.
This team has too many holes to have gone big at the deadline

I just don't see trading a late first as going big.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
whom they drafted..
also got huge goals by Scheifele, Ehlers and Connor...also drafted players

Scheifele: drafted 2011
Hellebucyk: drafted 2012
Ehlers: drafted 2014
Connor: drafted 2015

I'm glad we kept that pick so they can step in and help the team's depth problems in six to 10 years.

Maybe that player will be the new captain to replace McDavid!

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site
They won because our stars choked let’s be real.
596x397.3333333333333-789086803473.jpg

Verdadplus

Sep 29, 2017
All of you need to accept that Holland is an abject inompetent
And most of what happened in this series is entirely attributable to him
His idiotic moves going back to Anathanasiou to Turris to not playing Bouchard.
He does not want to win. He wants tenure. He wants to piss away MacDavid and Draisatl for being competitive long term, whatever that means.

And all of you who value first round pix are nuts. If an option can be exchanged for real value then do it every time.
MacDavid and Draissat were ready to win this Cup but a gutless incompetent GM undid that, along with a coach who is as stupid as he is inarticulate.

Both should be fired.

And as for Bear, he should never play hockey ever again for the Oilers. A disgrace.

Verdadplus

Sep 29, 2017
Scheifele: drafted 2011
Hellebucyk: drafted 2012
Ehlers: drafted 2014
Connor: drafted 2015

I'm glad we kept that pick so they can step in and help the team's depth problems in six to 10 years.

Maybe that player will be the new captain to replace McDavid!

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
They won because our stars choked let’s be real.

Pretty easy to choke when you have all of the pressure on you to provide all of the offense for your club. Also a lot easier for an opponent to key in on you when 3 other lines aren't a threat to score a goal. Our star players are not the issue here. Our lack of depth scoring certainly is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad