Fire Ken Holland

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
This year we should've pushed for more than what we got. The Oilers could probably win a playoff round next year but nothing I saw out of this series indicated to me that we're close to contending, especially with the Knights standing in the way.
Yeah, there's some really good teams in the league that we aren't as good as. That doesn't mean we can't still have successful seasons.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
At this point a successful season is a deep playoff run.

As far as I'm concerned this season was a big fat failure.
At the start of this year you kept saying they had to make the playoffs or it was a total failure.

Then about halfway through that changed to they had to win at least one series or it was a total failure.

Now a successful season is nothing short of a deep run.

All due respect you just keep moving the posts as the year goes on.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
At the start of this year you kept saying they had to make the playoffs or it was a total failure.

Then about halfway through that changed to they had to win at least one series or it was a total failure.

Now a successful season is nothing short of a deep run.

All due respect you just keep moving the posts as the year goes on.
I expected this team to at least win a playoff series. They couldn't even win one game. Sorry, but that's simply not good enough when we have McDavid and Draisatl.

with what money and assets?
Other teams found ways to make tight fits work. Holland gets paid more money than you or I will ever see to create a good roster. So far he's 1-7.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
like who?
Toronto, Tampa, to name a few.

I don't mind a guy striking out, but Holland himself admitted he didn't really try to add anything at the TDL, that's a bigger problem than whiffing.
Some teams got really creative in order to make things fit. Holland admitted that he didn't even really try to make things fit.

Reactions: EagerPug

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I don't mind a guy striking out, but Holland himself admitted he didn't really try to add anything at the TDL, that's a bigger problem than whiffing.
they were cap strapped and had a 1st rounder and 5th round as currency...chucking away a first rounder for a rental is a risky proposition and 5th doesn't get you much

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

Yes, but with what assets? The way I look at it, 1 player wouldn't have made an ounce of difference from that playoff run. We needed like 2-3 players that are IMPACTFUL. Out Impact players (Kassian, Neal, Yamamoto, Kahun) didn't do anything during that time. We need guys who can switch the emotional switch on and off at will, and not when there is certain conditions. I for one am glad he didn't go crazy at the deadline. I was concerned right after TDL how little we did, but seeing how we got a lot of holes to fill on this roster before we can make deep playoff runs, I'm glad we still got all our assets. I have a feeling this summer is gonna be a buyers market and there is gonna be a TON of teams trying to figure out their cap situation and with Seattle picking up players, we could see a few of those impactful players come our way. Let's just hope Holland has his fingers in everyone's business.

Edit: Just found out, we kept our 3rd round pick for next year, which means Kulikov only costed a 4th round pick. That's good news at least.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I for one am not mad at Holland. He looked at this team and decided not to bet the far, and we should be grateful for it. Whatever moves that would have improved this team that could have been made would have gotten it to the 2nd round at best, where the Oilers were certain to lose to Toronto anyway.

In hindsight, he deserves a lot of credit for bringing in Smith who saved the season. The ghost of Chia past in net was going to net another high draft pick. I criticized him for not doing better than Smith but holy crap did he exceed my expectations.

This team is not good enough for the playoffs, and McDavid is not good enough for the playoffs. Both need time and change. Blame Tippett if you like, I didn't like how he handled either this playoffs or last years play ins, but don't blame Holland.
Few pts on this. His TDL acquistion was Kulikov. A guy that didn't even play in the deciding game in the series because the coach didn't have confidence in him (and not many fans either) This was the big get.

Of the offseason acquisitions Barrie brought the offensive component but initiated wanting to be here. I'm not sure how much credit Holland gets for a player that called up asking.

Smith? I would have resigned him as insurance as Koskinen was our starter. Not sure how much credit I would give Holland for just staying the course with a goalie that the players liked playing with more.

Kahun. Reasonable add, but thats not enough, and not of a calibre to make differences.

Holland also extended Kassian last season which is questionable. But the biggest question marks for me, his whole tenure is how did he figure on dead Turris, and on AA, a wildly inconsistent player that Holland got seduced by twice.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
they were cap strapped and had a 1st rounder and 5th round as currency...chucking away a first rounder for a rental is a risky proposition and 5th doesn't get you much

Again, lots of cap-strapped teams found a way to make the money work, Old Dutch said he didn't even consider that. And yeah, they should have sent the first out for a rental, who cares.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
deeper teams that got deep by drafting and development that could afford to piss away draft picks

Oilers aren't deep
At some point the Oilers first round pick should be on the table. Because anyone they draft this year won't help them for a few years, if ever.

The Oilers aren't deep because they suck at scouting at every level.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If that rental meant the Oilers could have actually had two effective scoring lines in the playoffs it would have been worth it.

But again, the old man didn't even try. That's inexcusable.
He probably knew what we showed in the playoffs.
We aren't a single forward rental away from being good.
We basically need to add 3 middle 6 players to stand a legit playoff chance.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
no but name 1 team that didn't build depth through the draft?
Oilers trying to buck the trend by building through trades and FA signings has never worked

Trading the first-rounder this year, which is going to be a late pick in a draft where no one really knows anything about any of the players, is hardly crippling the depth.

We've got plenty of prospects coming down the pipeline. We need NHL players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad