Fire Gallant -- We need to save this season

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Is Boudreau still on the chopping block?

No seriously though, I'm not sure how safe Gallant is but if we were to get a new coach, I'd want us to go with an NHL veteran type coach. No more hiring of coaches with little or no NHL head coaching experience.

-ghoste

After the western road trip? Sure, we could have considered it, if the team still continued to play the same way to this day.

But now after the last 4 games? Ehm, doesn't really make much sense. For better or worse, we'll sink or swim with Gallant. If it's any consolation, he'll be gone at the end of the season along with Tallon if the team doesn't make it to the playoffs.

For as often as names have been thrown around and Torts was actually hired, I wonder if in NHL circles the debate over compensation and the hopes something will come out of the December meetings definitively might be holding up some of these in terms of guys that are keeping their job and avoiding the chopping block. Since a lot of teams would I assume want to scoop up re-treads like Carlyle but probably are not thrilled to do it if the compensation rules might still apply.

I think the management and coaches are in some danger, not sure Tallon couldn't survive a narrow miss to be honest. Get to watch a lot of Panthers hockey on Fox Sports, there are a lot of nights they have seemed unprepared and that reflects very poorly on Gallant. They just have not started on time, or have gotten dummied a couple times on lineup matching.

They have the talent to be a playoff team and a beauty of a future one-two punch down the middle. Not sure Gallant will make it very far into the next calendar year if he cannot get this thing going in a hurry, especially if the competition meeting gives any wiggle room on the hiring of fired personnel not being owed compensation moving forward which I expect will be the end result.

In any event they are building something great in my opinion on the east side of the state. Not sure it will be this year, but big things are coming from this team in my opinion, I like the way the future looks a lot.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
If Tallon was truly desperate or panicked he would be selling high picks and A prospects for players ASAP because he has no reason to care about mortgaging the future if he isnt there to see it anyway.

I think Tallon has job security right now.

Now, Cifu tweeted he wasnt happy the other day. If that isnt enough to generate a sense of urgency, i dont know what will

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
I can't say for sure what goes on behind closed doors. Whether it's Gallant not caring enough or he's just falling on deaf ears. I do know that I'm sick and tired of us fans, being the only ones, showing up every game and this god damn team is no where to be found.
I'm all for change. Like I've said before, I don't care where it happens but something needs to change, soon. Like yesterday.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
No RR, Rocco is not useless. I will however say that the coaching mistake with him and everyone not an HBJ liner is the poor recognition of chemistry and when to sit and play a player when they are on.

Brickely is the new Bergy for me. Zero excuse to have ever sat Brickely. Meanwhile, Rocco could've used a game in the stands for some mental clarity. Instead he probably already discouraged himself into a trip to Portland.

Shame, because Rocco is the **** and he shows it often.

I'll say this too, Rocco only got a few PP chances with one unit that obviously didn't click from the first shift.

I like Gallant personally, but his coaching decisions also leave much to be desired.

Also, for Dale he got us a few good picks. Now we need Stan Bowman to put the ship on course.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
For as often as names have been thrown around and Torts was actually hired, I wonder if in NHL circles the debate over compensation and the hopes something will come out of the December meetings definitively might be holding up some of these in terms of guys that are keeping their job and avoiding the chopping block. Since a lot of teams would I assume want to scoop up re-treads like Carlyle but probably are not thrilled to do it if the compensation rules might still apply.

I think the management and coaches are in some danger, not sure Tallon couldn't survive a narrow miss to be honest. Get to watch a lot of Panthers hockey on Fox Sports, there are a lot of nights they have seemed unprepared and that reflects very poorly on Gallant. They just have not started on time, or have gotten dummied a couple times on lineup matching.

They have the talent to be a playoff team and a beauty of a future one-two punch down the middle. Not sure Gallant will make it very far into the next calendar year if he cannot get this thing going in a hurry, especially if the competition meeting gives any wiggle room on the hiring of fired personnel not being owed compensation moving forward which I expect will be the end result.

In any event they are building something great in my opinion on the east side of the state. Not sure it will be this year, but big things are coming from this team in my opinion, I like the way the future looks a lot.

GMs almost never get fired during the season. Everyone knows Tallon is done if they miss. If hypothetically Gallant was fired in January, what coach worth anything at all would come into a situation knowing they'll be axed in 4 months? GMs like to bring in their own guy.

I would guess a trade happening is more likely if this continues another 5 games or so. But I expect things to improve. They play Detroit Sunday, and I'm sure you know how they play Detroit :p

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
...also...

WHAT. THE. ****. IS. GUDS. AND. WILLIE. DOING. WITH. HBJ. INSTEAD. OF. EKBLAD. AND. SOUP?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Because that line is clearly for shutting down people.

the bottom 3 is for scoring. Duh. Learn GGs system.

Not only did I learn his system, I found out he came up with the concept to 2 girls 1 cup.

Maybe I was misinformed and Dale came up with it and his coaches all had a hand in producing the lil the flick.

Either way whatever the hell we are forced to look at is disgusting.

Last edited:

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
I've followed the Panthers quite closely for the past two seasons and can say that I'm not a huge fan of Gallant. He seems like a nice guy who has a decent system but just isn't a player coach. I can tell by his decisions that he sees the game very differently than me. I think he holds some of the offensive talent of this team back with his game time decisions and doesn't gain the kind of defensive boost he should by those decisions. Should he go? Still not sure.

Lundell4Prez

Yandle = Bad
Jul 5, 2008
I pushed for Lavi two years ago. I caught lots of crap for it. This is one of those "I told you so" moments.

Man that would've been nice. But like I said, Tallon won't let somebody else control the team. He needs a no experience puppet to control.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
The coach in hockey is typically just a scapegoat. None of us are in the room so we can't ever fully know what's going on. We can only evaluate based on results.

In saying that, I think he's done a good job with what he's been giving. Biggest improvement in the league last season.

Sure we all want it now but in reality our core is still so young. People usually don't mention that the first drafts in our rebuilding days were just not very good drafts (and the playoffs season messed us up). So even though Tallon will likely take the blame for this team not taking the next step soon enough, Tallon has done a great job building through the draft with what he's been given (recall that Tallon is typically only responsible for the first round selection so the lack of steals isn't his fault). Our core players are 19, 20, 21, etc. Based on this our prime years realistically are still 5 years down the road. There are going to be ups and downs now, just have to expect it and wait it out. And no, the 17 years or whatever before Tallon are not relevant at all to this team. Just because the team sucked then doesn't mean we get the right to skip the suffering of this current rebuild.

You still didn't answer his question. But you already knew that.

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
He seemed pretty frustrated with them last night in the post game interview. Said they played hard in the last two periods because they were embarrassed after the first. And that you shouldn't have to come in after the first period and ask them to play hard.

floridada

Jan 31, 2009
Florida
Never going to happen unless we start going after some prospective top scorers in the draft from the 1st round right through the draft. Look at Brayden Point who Tampa drafted in the 3rd round at 5'9"/160 lbs in 2014. Now he's 5'11" and putting on weight. He has 18 goals in 19 games in the WHL. Tampa is smart and they have an excellent scouting dept that knows how to draft guys that can put the puck in the net. Tallon's scouting dept just doesn't have a clue on where to find these guys except throwing darts at pictures and then drafting some guy that impressed Tallon at the combine because he could do a lot of pullups and was already 5'10"/192. Not saying Jayce won't be a good player, but Tallon has a hard time looking beyond the present when drafting players.

This is what really infuriates me. I'm sick of drafting players based on their character and size.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
...also...

WHAT. THE. ****. IS. GUDS. AND. WILLIE. DOING. WITH. HBJ. INSTEAD. OF. EKBLAD. AND. SOUP?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

When it comes to the defensive side of things, the trend through the first 20 games is that Gerard Gallant has decided to use the pairing of Willie Mitchell and Erik Gudbranson as the team’s “shutdown†pair against the top lines of the opponent. Unfortunately, this hasn’t worked out very well because Mitchell and Gudbranson are averaging 40.92 and 39.65 shots against per 60 minutes respectively (at 5v5 even strength) and this is alarming considering they both play roughly 16 minutes at even strength every night. Brian Campbell actually averages more time on ice at even strength per game than both Mitchell and Gudbranson with nearly 17 minutes per night yet allows shots at a rate of just 28.60 per 60 minutes. Then there’s Aaron Ekblad who averages just under 16 and a half minutes per night (which is more than Mitchell) yet allows shots at a rate of 25.67 per 60 minutes.

http://catsontheprowl.com/2015/11/24/evaluating-the-panthers-at-the-20-game-mark/

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
No RR, Rocco is not useless. I will however say that the coaching mistake with him and everyone not an HBJ liner is the poor recognition of chemistry and when to sit and play a player when they are on.

Brickely is the new Bergy for me. Zero excuse to have ever sat Brickely. Meanwhile, Rocco could've used a game in the stands for some mental clarity. Instead he probably already discouraged himself into a trip to Portland.

Shame, because Rocco is the **** and he shows it often.

I'll say this too, Rocco only got a few PP chances with one unit that obviously didn't click from the first shift.

I like Gallant personally, but his coaching decisions also leave much to be desired.

Also, for Dale he got us a few good picks. Now we need Stan Bowman to put the ship on course.

Rocco has done nothing since he's been up. You can't possibly say he's better than Brickley. Rocco is too small to be effective in a bottom line role and can't do anything offensively when he has the puck on his stick. He needs to go back to the AHL and work on his game.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
Just throwing this out there:

If Gallant doesn't use HBJ against the other teams top line which line will he use ?

Pirri-Bjugstad-Jokinen ? Pirri is a liability
Smith-Trocheck-Grimaldi ? Grimaldi and Trocheck are a liability, Smith is average
Bolland/Thorton - Mackenzie - Howden ? Maybe but Bolland is playing like crap, you
would never put this line against a top line. Howden is inexerienced, Bolland is playing like crap

Basically this team needs three good two way forwards. Bolland, Pirri, Grimaldi are dead weight right now. They have to play better. That's on Gallant.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Just throwing this out there:

If Gallant doesn't use HBJ against the other teams top line which line will he use ?

Pirri-Bjugstad-Jokinen ? Pirri is a liability
Smith-Trocheck-Grimaldi ? Grimaldi and Trocheck are a liability, Smith is average
Bolland/Thorton - Mackenzie - Howden ? Maybe but Bolland is playing like crap, you
would never put this line against a top line. Howden is inexerienced, Bolland is playing like crap

Basically this team needs three good two way forwards. Bolland, Pirri, Grimaldi are dead weight right now. They have to play better. That's on Gallant.

No, he is using the HBJ line against the other top lines. It's the d-pairings that are being used wrong. Ekblad and Campbell should be with the HBJ line, not the Mitchell-Guddy pairing which is doing a horrible job of being a shutdown pair.

ebulldog

Mar 25, 2015
Man that would've been nice. But like I said, Tallon won't let somebody else control the team. He needs a no experience puppet to control.

Now that you said this, it is true. Look at all of his coaches that have gone through here.
Hope that Cifu and Viola are catching wind of this!!
For me I just keep hearing the words "blueprint" in my head and I have yet to really see anything that looks like a playoff team.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
No, he is using the HBJ line against the other top lines. It's the d-pairings that are being used wrong. Ekblad and Campbell should be with the HBJ line, not the Mitchell-Guddy pairing which is doing a horrible job of being a shutdown pair.

Exactly. Barkov's line is good enough defensively that they don't need Guds and Mitch.

Meanwhile, we have the bjuggy and Tro line who need help on D rolling with Petro and Eks pairings.

Not to mention, we have seen what the Barky line can do with Eks and Soup when paired in the last 5 minutes and it looks so good.

Teams send out their five best against Barkov and GG handicaps them with Guds and Mitch

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Exactly. Barkov's line is good enough defensively that they don't need Guds and Mitch.

Meanwhile, we have the bjuggy and Tro line who need help on D rolling with Petro and Eks pairings.

Not to mention, we have seen what the Barky line can do with Eks and Soup when paired in the last 5 minutes and it looks so good.

Teams send out their five best against Barkov and GG handicaps them with Guds and Mitch

They're not even that good in a shutdown role. Mitchell has regressed and looks awful. He doesn't move the puck up ice at all, just blindly throws it around the boards. Guds has played well but is once again cursed with the old crappy vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad