Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I took today off because I knew I wouldn’t have any days off next week and I fully plan on doing nothing but playing this today

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Just received mine! Won't be able to touch it though until tomorrow morning :(

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Finally got it this morning. Would have done so after work but I don't want to hop out of rush hour traffic to get it. This is gonna be the longest work day of the summer, I can already tell. Couldn't take off today since I'll be off Monday and Tuesday.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
every other game i get from Walmart Early delivery.
this one? "end of day"

grrr

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
I got it digitally since I used that voucher deal so I played for an hour last night and some today so far. Really enjoying it so far

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I love it when my hype crashes for a game and the game ends up being great anyway.

I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but what I've heard and read makes me pretty well convinced that this will what I wanted it to be...which is especially great because I have a ton of travel coming up and Fire Emblem is glorious for that.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I love it when my hype crashes for a game and the game ends up being great anyway.

I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but what I've heard and read makes me pretty well convinced that this will what I wanted it to be...which is especially great because I have a ton of travel coming up and Fire Emblem is glorious for that.
The battling is definitely going to be close to your classic fire emblem but this game is so much more than just the battling. I’m only on chapter 2 and have put in about 5 hours.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Took my Switch to work today on the off chance I'd have enough time on my lunch hour. Played an hour or so. Really liking what I'm seeing so far.

I can kind of see what reviewers were talking about when they say the visuals are rough. This is certainly below what the Switch is capable of but I think it's well above what the series has given us in the last three entries. But Petra's floating pony tail is gonna bother me. There's no good excuse for not being able to render that so that it rests on her shoulder. Also the character models can be tough to see on the map if a unit is on a piece of terrain like a forest. It's not a deal breaker by any means and I've yet to see how this looks on my TV but it is a touch disappointing.

The lore behind the academy's purpose and role is really effective so that it doesn't feel like a gimmick out of place in the Fire Emblem pantheon. The voice acting and music is already tremendous.

Also man, I knew I'd want to go with Edelgard first and then maybe Dimitri on a replay since I wasn't crazy about Claude or the artwork of his House units. But early interactions with the Blue Lions...they're decently characterized but I didn't expect them to be the most boring House. At least early on.

Though as for the Black Eagles

I do like most of the characters in the House but not Bernadetta I've always found the cliche in Japanese media of the shy girl who is just aggressively shy for seemingly no reason who will vocally say "don't look at or talk to me" or be characterized like that to be tremendously annoying. Within a few lines of dialogue I've already been beaten over the head with how shy and timid Bernadetta is. To the point where if she dies in combat I'll just let her stay dead instead of starting over.

I've just always found that depiction of social anxiety to be profoundly over dramatic and lazy

Also I already know
some people are gonna be annoyed with how Professor Manuela acts and dresses. Within what...two lines I was already surprised at how overtly sexual she acts.

Also unrelated but I do wish Byleth had voice acted dialogue. I get that it could cause trouble with custom names but how many lines of dialogue could there possibly be where other characters ask his name?

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Picked it up as my wife was very interested.

Seems really interesting so far. I'll have to do my own playthrough once she's finished (if that ever happens :laugh:)

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I'm glad to hear that the game is pretty good. I had my doubts with all the talk about it being a radical shift from how the franchise had been for the last little while (because a lot of hte time those sorts of drastic left turns can go very, very wrong) but it seems that was unfounded.

Now I'll just have to bide my time. I promised myself that I was going to cut into the backlog of unfinished games on my shelf before I buy anything new and I intend to stick to that. My list of Switch games that I intend to get once I've chipped away at my current backlog does get longer by the month though :laugh:

I am a little sad though that so much of the supports system appears to have been reduced from what it was in Awakening/Fates to be more like older titles and Echoes. Not because I need the 'waifu simulator' aspects of the game, but because having all those interactions between party members was what helped get me attached to them. One of the things I didn't like about Echoes was that the support setup was so limited that I never really got invested in most of the characters as characters rather than just pawn on my violent chessboard. It seems from my reading that most of the game's support setup is focused on just the avatar character and each of the various other army members. I don't even miss the future kids mechanic after it was so ham-fistedly jammed into Fates, but I do miss the sense that there's more going on with the various other party members besides just the avatar. I get that it's a lot of extra work trying to write side-story support convos for every possible pairing that could exist, but it doesn't necessarily need to impact the core story that much.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm glad to hear that the game is pretty good. I had my doubts with all the talk about it being a radical shift from how the franchise had been for the last little while (because a lot of hte time those sorts of drastic left turns can go very, very wrong) but it seems that was unfounded.

Now I'll just have to bide my time. I promised myself that I was going to cut into the backlog of unfinished games on my shelf before I buy anything new and I intend to stick to that. My list of Switch games that I intend to get once I've chipped away at my current backlog does get longer by the month though :laugh:

I am a little sad though that so much of the supports system appears to have been reduced from what it was in Awakening/Fates to be more like older titles and Echoes. Not because I need the 'waifu simulator' aspects of the game, but because having all those interactions between party members was what helped get me attached to them. One of the things I didn't like about Echoes was that the support setup was so limited that I never really got invested in most of the characters as characters rather than just pawn on my violent chessboard. It seems from my reading that most of the game's support setup is focused on just the avatar character and each of the various other army members. I don't even miss the future kids mechanic after it was so ham-fistedly jammed into Fates, but I do miss the sense that there's more going on with the various other party members besides just the avatar. I get that it's a lot of extra work trying to write side-story support convos for every possible pairing that could exist, but it doesn't necessarily need to impact the core story that much.

The game more than makes up for it in individual characterization. There's a ton of dialogue here.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Fire Emblem's my favourite video game series, pretty easily. I just don't have a Switch lol

I remember getting a Wii back in the day solely to play Radiant Dawn, and I'll probably do the same now with this game. It's just a matter of when. I've seen some stuff on Three Houses and it looks incredible.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Which house did you guys pick? Initially thought I'd go with Edelgard but didn't like anyone else in her house. Ended up going with Claude's house because their students seemed the most interesting.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Which house did you guys pick? Initially thought I'd go with Edelgard but didn't like anyone else in her house. Ended up going with Claude's house because their students seemed the most interesting.
I had a wildly different experience. I liked like all but two of Edelgard's house, only like half of Claude's, and then with Dimitri I found everyone incredibly boring except for Sylvain so I recruited him to the Black Eagles.

I'm sure if I had actually picked the Blue Lions I'd come to like them more but that's a matter for another time.

I did have my first character die. Caspar, the blue haired axe boy. I would have restarted the chapter but as far as damage sustain goes he was always in need of healing and I really only ever used him to pick off units that were almost dead. That probably means he was the guy who would be OP with patient training but I really couldn't be bothered to keep coddling him on my first play through. Edelgard on her own will more than make up for him and I'm sure I can recruit another member of a different House before the time skip.

Last edited:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Glad to hear the game is getting good reviews. Was hesitant over the past year, but after the initial response I'm definitely going to be picking this up sooner than later.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Don't neglect farming, guys. It gives a pretty heavy boost to your professor XP every day you explore the monastery.

Doesn't cost any activity points and neither does fishing though fishing gives some but not nearly as much professor xp.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
So what's up with recruiting? My professor is level 11 now and the only character I'm close to getting as a recruit is Felix because I have high sword skill. Is there any way to recruit other characters without training up other skills?

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
So what's up with recruiting? My professor is level 11 now and the only character I'm close to getting as a recruit is Felix because I have high sword skill. Is there any way to recruit other characters without training up other skills?
Some characters you have the option to recruit (people within the Church).

Side note I just got to the time jump and it has never been obvious that all three stories are different.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
For those who are farther in the game, does the anime-type stuff lessen over time? I just started the game and it's been painful since I got to the monastery/Hogwarts.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
For those who are farther in the game, does the anime-type stuff lessen over time? I just started the game and it's been painful since I got to the monastery/Hogwarts.
Not...totally. The farther you get into it the more the more classic fire emblem themes come through with their own fresh narrative take and it takes a certain predominance over the anime feel in my opinion. Some pretty high brow fantasy stuff happens too but this series has always been marked by over the top fantasy elements so really, though it will probably feel anime ish given the art style, it's really nothing too out of the realm of the spirit of the series.

Apart from a couple characters that are outright anime cliches (Bernadetta in particular) it's really just the art style that's very anime inspired. Unless I haven't seen a lot of medieval style animes.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Some characters you have the option to recruit (people within the Church).

Side note I just got to the time jump and it has never been obvious that all three stories are different.
Not sure which path you chose but my God did the Black Eagles one leave me conflicted and uneasy.

But yeah, it's like you said, there's definitely going to be significant differences between House selections. I'm looking forward to trying the others.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00