Fire Eakins (Part II) - AKA: The Official Coaching Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Consultant

Sep 12, 2010
Keeping Eakins appears to confirm we are tanking it, as an Oiler fan I am really embarrassed.
It is shameful and disrespectful to all oiler fans.

stevrock

Jun 9, 2013
Just hand him the keys. Give the man complete control. Babcock is on record saying he won't sign a new contract during the season. It really looks like he may be an option, and the MacT and Eakins are lame ducks for the remainder of the season.

Take it with a grain of salt, but I've heard that Babcock wants Coach and GM duties.

If that were to be the case, there would be no chance of him coming to Edmonton.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
Take it with a grain of salt, but I've heard that Babcock wants Coach and GM duties.

If that were to be the case, there would be no chance of him coming to Edmonton.

Why? If Babcock is Katz/Nicholson's end game, this would be exactly the course they take. Tank out, get rid of Lowe/Mac/Eakins, draft one of McDavid/Eichel and have Babcock come on board as coach/gm and who would be someone that attracts free agents, and not be afraid to put his foot on the throats of those players in our org that need it, and having a coach in full control of his roster is a good thing IMO, if they are capable. And Babcock is capable.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Really beginning to be embarrassed that this franchise flat out tanked for years and is still completely incompetent.

Sports is about competition, and it's sad that we can't even try to be competitive.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Why? If Babcock is Katz/Nicholson's end game, this would be exactly the course they take. Tank out, get rid of Lowe/Mac/Eakins, draft one of McDavid/Eichel and have Babcock come on board as coach/gm and who would be someone that attracts free agents, and not be afraid to put his foot on the throats of those players in our org that need it, and having a coach in full control of his roster is a good thing IMO, if they are capable. And Babcock is capable.
Didn't teams go away from having one man be both the coach and GM over a decade ago? They said it was too much work for one guy and the biggest knock against it was that it had become impossible for a guy to coach his players up after he knocked them down as a GM in contract negotiations. Sutter was the last guy I remember doing this and it was already an outdated process when he started. That ended in disaster there too with him eventually going back to coaching which is what everyone always agreed he should have stayed doing in the first place. Quinn hired a GM above him in Toronto because he couldn't do both jobs. Eventually got fired by him.

If that's what has to happen to get a coach like Babcock maybe you do it. I don't know. I do think that's it's already proven to be another recipe for disaster though.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
I agree with the logic we shouldnt be tanking. The reality of this is that if we tanked in 07 wed have some guy named Patrick Kane.

It sucks that weve sucked for so long but no point in making a coaching change and playing out of a lottery spot.

Save us McBatman.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Really beginning to be embarrassed that this franchise flat out tanked for years and is still completely incompetent.

Sports is about competition, and it's sad that we can't even try to be competitive.

The management knew the team was tanking, but did the players? No. They just think they're losers. This is how they've been programmed to play.

Last edited:

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Trying to suck/luck your way to success through McDavid at this point is disgusting.

Bad enough we had to accept a tank in the first place, boy they really sold us Dr. McGillicuddy's quack medicine, didn't they?

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Trying to suck/luck your way to success through McDavid at this point is disgusting.

Bad enough we had to accept a tank in the first place, boy they really sold us Dr. McGillicuddy's quack medicine, didn't they?

Agreed its disgusting but its rationale. Its tragic but true.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

I don't think they sold it at all.

That's their drink of choice.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
No, but they sold the fanbase that we'd accept a few losing years, knowing we'd draft our way soon into the playoffs, just like Chicago and Pittsburgh.

We're the Atlanta Thrashers.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
No, but they sold the fanbase that we'd accept a few losing years, knowing we'd draft our way soon into the playoffs, just like Chicago and Pittsburgh.

We're the Atlanta Thrashers.

Nah, the Atlanta Thrashers sucked but they didn't take **** from no one.

We can't be the Thrashers until we stop being such damn *******.

Last edited:

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Thrashers are a good comparison - high draft picks on the wings, no quality NHL defenders or goalie.

The second the 'brain trust' trade Nugent-Hallberle, they become the new Milburys.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
NOT EAKINS FAULT

THE PROBLEM IS HORCOFF!!!!!!

Trade that bum! Loud noises!

What a cancer...just holding this elite team back.

WayneGreatzky

Nov 26, 2014
Edmonton
Thrashers are a good comparison - high draft picks on the wings, no quality NHL defenders or goalie.

The second the 'brain trust' trade Nugent-Hallberle, they become the new Milburys.

despite his legendary management blunders Millburys Islanders at least made the playoffs. I dont think MacT and Eakins could ever reach those lofty heights :cry:

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The Edmonton Oilers have never once intentionally tried to tank in their history and they are not doing so now.

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
Trying = Effort. I have seen very little of this so I would suggest that "trying" to tank might be too hard for these guys.

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant
The Edmonton Oilers have never once intentionally tried to tank in their history and they are not doing so now.

(if this ^^^ is sarcasm, please disregard)

I agree they don't intentionally tank in the first two months.

But once American Thanksgiving arrives and they have no hope of making the playoffs they do absolutely NOTHING to improve the team or be competitive.

That's tanking in my book.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Didn't teams go away from having one man be both the coach and GM over a decade ago? They said it was too much work for one guy and the biggest knock against it was that it had become impossible for a guy to coach his players up after he knocked them down as a GM in contract negotiations. Sutter was the last guy I remember doing this and it was already an outdated process when he started. That ended in disaster there too with him eventually going back to coaching which is what everyone always agreed he should have stayed doing in the first place. Quinn hired a GM above him in Toronto because he couldn't do both jobs. Eventually got fired by him.

If that's what has to happen to get a coach like Babcock maybe you do it. I don't know. I do think that's it's already proven to be another recipe for disaster though.

It doesn't have to be disastrous if done right. Set the GM titles like they are currently in Pittsburgh, where Botterill is "associate" GM. The Pens did that to ensure him the head job is his in a couple years. Rutherford is there to mentor him as much as he's there for GM duties.

Bring in an older, veteran GM (maybe Darcy Regier) and give Babcock "associate" GM status. For reasons you listed above, don't have Babcock involved in contract negotiations, arbitration hearings, etc. He would only have a hand in player evaluation, personnel decisions, drafting - basically nothing that threatens conflict of interest.

Maybe part of luring him in is developing a timeline, as I'm sure he doesn't want to coach forever. Maybe you give him 3 years to perform double duties and have him bring along an assistant he thinks is close to being ready for a head job, or you bring Nelson up as an assistant to be mentored by Babcock. I know Nelson doesn't sound interested in just being an assistant, but if you lay out a similar timeline for him to become a head coach, I'm willing to bet he goes for it. In 3 years, Babcock becomes GM/VP.

Jul 19, 2012

I don't think GM. I think like Roy, involved in Hockey Ops which has some say over personnel.

Frankly if I were Katz I'd throw the kitchen sink in to get him and find the best GM for the job.

Not sure where he's going to land, I can't see Toronto, they have too many fingers in the pie there. Chicago, Boston, Philly, LA, Pittsburgh, all have their guys already. Islanders Rangers same. Washington just rehired. So maybe we have a chance if he is sold on rebuilding a forlorn franchise to greatness, gets paid $5M a year and given whatever he wants as far as player personnel decisions are made.

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
Man this team sucks offensively.... No strategy, no creativity whatsoever. Hall doesn't even look like he's trying anymore.

I don't think Eakins deserves all the blame, but please let him go. There's no way we could do any worse.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

i actually wouldn't want babcock as a GM... once we fire mact, we need to hire a GM WITH EXPERIENCE... for the love of god, HIRE SOMEBODY WITH EXPERIENCE!!! enough with hiring guys fresh off the farm

i'd take him over mact as GM, yes, but if it was between babcock and an experienced GM, i take experience everytime

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Could it be any more obvious that Eakins just can't get these players going? This is pathetic. I want McEichel and all but if we keep up this crap we won't be able to turn this franchise around for another half decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad