Fire Eakins (Part II) - AKA: The Official Coaching Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I had a dream last night that Eakins was fired. When I woke up I didn't even bother checking Twitter and wasting precious data because I knew it wouldn't happen.

oiler4ever

Jul 29, 2004
Windsor
Jason Gregor ‏@JasonGregor 15m15 minutes ago

Today is #Oilers Xmas party...there is no press conference for coach. IMO firing him now would be cop out. GM gave him only 2 centres.

The Shockmaster

SHOCK THE WORLD
Jul 30, 2010
It's hard to get into hockey when your team's players are depressed and your team's management is clueless. What a strange decision to keep this coach.

McJeety McJeet

Nov 5, 2011
Edmonton

Today is #Oilers Xmas party...there is no press conference for coach. IMO firing him now would be cop out. GM gave him only 2 centres.

Well there you have it only having 2 NHL centre's is the reason every part of their game is a failure. Yep.

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC
Keep Eakins because he's going to help Edmonton fill another hole in the lineup in June.

Ehh we've become a black hole of suck and are widely viewed as a talent ruining organization. I agree another top pick sounds nice (if we drop to rock bottom by season's end) but it's not going to help us. We've got so many highly talented picks on this team and they look pretty mediocre out there. Great talent managed by bozos.

oilers_guy_eddie

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?
Feb 27, 2002
This is Oil Country!
Visit site
It really annoys me that the Oilers management has not said anything about this situation.

They know that the media has been talking about Eakins getting the axe. They saw their players getting booed on the way to the dressing room.

If you're the GM or the President or the owner, don't you have to come out and stand up for your coach and your players?

I mean, if you have made the decision to keep him, don't you have to at least address the fans on the subject?

"Guys, we saw the anger last night and we know there's a lot of speculation about Dallas' future with the team. But I still believe in this coach and he is not going to be fired. I'm the GM and I'm taking ownership of that decision."

If they don't say something, it seems like the axe could still fall any moment. That's not fair to Eakins, and I can't imagine how the players are going to respond when they know the other shoe could drop at any moment.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
It really annoys me that the Oilers management has not said anything about this situation.

They know that the media has been talking about Eakins getting the axe. They saw their players getting booed on the way to the dressing room.

If you're the GM or the President or the owner, don't you have to come out and stand up for your coach and your players?

I mean, if you have made the decision to keep him, don't you have to at least address the fans on the subject?

"Guys, we saw the anger last night and we know there's a lot of speculation about Dallas' future with the team. But I still believe in this coach and he is not going to be fired. I'm the GM and I'm taking ownership of that decision."

If they don't say something, it seems like the axe could still fall any moment. That's not fair to Eakins, and I can't imagine how the players are going to respond when they know the other shoe could drop at any moment.
They are cowards.

Lewy

May 26, 2011
Ehh we've become a black hole of suck and are widely viewed as a talent ruining organization. I agree another top pick sounds nice (if we drop to rock bottom by season's end) but it's not going to help us. We've got so many highly talented picks on this team and they look pretty mediocre out there. Great talent managed by bozos.
Aren't they already at rock bottom? I think they are in 30th.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Calgary was playing with 3 AHL centers and beating teams like Anaheim there Jason. Gregor has been defending Eakins all year. Ridiculous assessment. He tried to argue with me via text that the team was showing no improvement under any other coach. He puts 0 onus on the coaching for our current state if affairs. Another oiler apologist. Hate our local sports media these days.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
I dunno what's up with guys like Gregor, Rishaug and Steve Simmons that all say that Eakins should keep his job. I don't know what it is about Alberta, but it seems to be this weird place in the universe where being ****** at your job doesn't get you fired.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City

The 2015 NHL Entry Draft will be huge for the Oilers regardless,since the Oilers could pick up a player projected to be the best since Crosby,or a number 1 defenseman.

McDavid=Best player on the team since the 1980's
Hanifin=Number 1 Defenseman that we haven't had since Pronger left.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City

It's very clear that Eakins isn't going to be fired anytime soon;fans and the media seem to not comprehend it.

Eakins is Mactavish's guy,and he's not going to be fired no matter how much individuals want him gone.

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC
The 2015 NHL Entry Draft will be huge for the Oilers regardless,since the Oilers could pick up a player projected to be the best since Crosby,or a number 1 defenseman.

McDavid=Best player on the team since the 1980's
Hanifin=Number 1 Defenseman that we haven't had since Pronger left.

3 firsts haven't done anything to rescue this team. A generational player won't either.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I dunno what's up with guys like Gregor, Rishaug and Steve Simmons that all say that Eakins should keep his job. I don't know what it is about Alberta, but it seems to be this weird place in the universe where being ****** at your job doesn't get you fired.

Well to be fair, if Eakins should be let go, so should MacT and Lowe.

I don't think it should be one guy to fall on the sword. Katz needs to grow some courage and can everyone.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth

So the GM should be fired? Or is Gregor cowtowing to Oiler management? I think the later, if he is suggesting no change is necessary. For what its worth, as much as Eakins took on a difficult job - his predeccesors all did better with lesser tems. His powerplay is a joke. The coach is in over his head Gregor, he has as much a chance improving as KLowe has of getting fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad