Finnish Top Prospects part II

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
What do you all think about Finland's prospect depth in 2015 draft?

2015 could develop into a good draft for Finland. Defensemen Veeti Vainio and Sami Niku deserve some recognition as well among all these forwards. Both skate very well and can move the puck. Physique and defensive game needs work, but upside is definitely there. Vili Saarijärvi is made more or less from the same mold, but as of now he's still on the shorter side, hopefully he grows a bit.

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
Would anyone care to give a scouting/progress report on Sebastian Aho? So far, he's putting up at least 1.32 points/game in the Nuorten-Sm-Liiga in his Draft minus one year. That scoring rate is only slightly below that of Artturi Lehkonen at the same age, though IIRC, he was on a a terrible team and had a much higher percentage of goals.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Would anyone care to give a scouting/progress report on Sebastian Aho? So far, he's putting up at least 1.32 points/game in the Nuorten-Sm-Liiga in his Draft minus one year. That scoring rate is only slightly below that of Artturi Lehkonen at the same age, though IIRC, he was on a a terrible team and had a much higher percentage of goals.

Whether Aho becomes a serious NHL prospect or not might depend on his growth, at the moment I'd guesstimate he's something like 175cm or 5'9''. Lehkonen grew some height in his last full summer before the draft, gotta hope the same happens with Aho as well.

As a player Aho is a pure scoring winger, good skill level and offenisve instincts. Not a rocket on skates, but overall a good, mobile skater. Perhaps slightly one-dimensional; physical play is below average, compete level isn't high end and at times his defensive focus isn't at the level of his offensive game.

He plays on the same line with Antti Kalapudas, both are skilled players that think the game at a high level, it helps their scoring totals.

bebl

Jul 5, 2008
Finland
Saarela has now 3 concussions in 2 years. Puljujärvi with some kind of leg injury, hasn't played yet in this season. :shakehead

I don't remember any of Finnish top prospect being healthy in their most important years to make progress.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Saarela has now 3 concussions in 2 years. Puljujärvi with some kind of leg injury, hasn't played yet in this season. :shakehead

I don't remember any of Finnish top prospect being healthy in their most important years to make progress.

Saarela's been playing for a while now.

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
When I was compiling stats for players active in Finnish junior A, I realized that Roope Hintz, whom I'd never heard of before, is putting together a really good season (19gp, 15g+13a=28 points). His points per game is 1.47. With the exception of Mikael Granlund, I can't remember a Finnish player who had such a productive junior A season before his draft year.

Granted, it's important to remember that Hintz has a November birthday, so he's older than pretty much every other recent Finnish forward who played junior A in the prior to their draft season.
At the same time, so far he's been extremely consistent (he has very few games where he doesn't show up on the score sheet). And given his large size (nearly 6'3, 183 lbs), I can't help but be intrigued by him.

He seems to have appeared out of nowhere (he wasn't on Finland's Ivan Hlinka roster, but has outperformed everyone on it in Jr A play). I'd very much like to hear a scouting report on him (Strengths/weaknesses etc). I've only seen a few highlights of his junior A games on youtube, but not enough to get a good picture of him. I also understand that he's played a couple of liiga games. Anyone see them?

Also, is there any particular reason why Finland isn't participating in this year's World Under-17 tournament? I would have liked to see Saarela, Aho, and Nattinen up against the best of their age group (minus McDavid of course).

bebl

Jul 5, 2008
Finland
When I was compiling stats for players active in Finnish junior A, I realized that Roope Hintz, whom I'd never heard of before, is putting together a really good season (19gp, 15g+13a=28 points). His points per game is 1.47. With the exception of Mikael Granlund, I can't remember a Finnish player who had such a productive junior A season before his draft year.

Bottom team of that league(Jokipojat) haves -126 goal difference. That really distorts stats. However, all credit to Hintz.

Also, is there any particular reason why Finland isn't participating in this year's World Under-17 tournament? I would have liked to see Saarela, Aho, and Nattinen up against the best of their age group (minus McDavid of course).
If i remember correctly that tournament is circulating to european teams.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Any info on Eetu Sopanen(2014 draft)?

196cm,100KG, D-man plays for Pelicans A-Juniors.

3+6=9 Points in 14 games.

It was said during Pelicans-Hifk game that he was called up to practice with the big team and is close to making his debut in Liiga.

Is he even NHL-prospect at this point?

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
1998-born Jokerit D-man Olli Juolevi played his first Nuorten SM-Liiga game against Ilves today, registering an assist in a 4-3 win.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
For those who haven't noticed, LiveArena will broadcast the three U16 national team games played between FIN and SWE this week.

Schedule Finnish time:
17.12. (19:00 SWE – FIN)
18.12. (19:00 SWE – FIN)
19.12. (13:00 SWE – FIN)

Link to LiveArena.

Link to stats.

Laine, Puljujärvi and Juolevi will travel with the U17 team, but otherwise most of the top 98-born Finns should play in these games.

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
For those who haven't noticed, LiveArena will broadcast the three U16 national team games played between FIN and SWE this week.

Schedule Finnish time:
17.12. (19:00 SWE – FIN)
18.12. (19:00 SWE – FIN)
19.12. (13:00 SWE – FIN)

Link to LiveArena.

Link to stats.

Laine, Puljujärvi and Juolevi will travel with the U17 team, but otherwise most of the top 98-born Finns should play in these games.

Finland won the first match 1-4. Janne Kuokkanen was the best scorer (1+1) for Finland.

Good start :)

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland
Tormentor or anybody else?

What kind of player Topi Piipponen (1997, 6'0) is? He is playing in U18 league as an 16-yrs old and he's 3rd in the league scoring with 20+22=42 points in 27 games. Seems like he is doing almost everything by himself as his best teammate has 27 points in 26 games.

Keke

Dec 6, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
Wow can't believe when was the last time that we won Sweden in 3 straight games (U16 team).

Didn't see the games (my own military service) but Reunanen seems to be a very good prospect (5 points in 3 games).

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
With an average height of 183cm, this u16 team is probably taller than some u20 teams that Finland has iced in the past. What's more impressive is the fact that they swept the series without the three best 1998-born players.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Felixson and Niemeläinen look like interesting prospects in addition to Vaakanainen and Juolevi from the 98 and 99 d-man group.

Last edited:

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
Felixson and Niemeläinen look like interesting prospect in addition to Vaakanainen and Juolevi from the 98 and 99 d-man group.

Felixson is an excellent prospect. Here's my scouting report on him a few months ago:

Scouting Report: Felixson was a man among boys in this game. His best attributes to me are his shot, passing and understanding of the game. His passing game was excellent, he saw opening passing lanes really well. His shot must be one of the best on his team, it's powerful, accurate and he likes to use it a lot. Skating is decent both ways, and he's a surprisingly agile and powerful skater. He had a good gap control and used his long stick well without the puck. Positioning was rock solid. Physically, he didn't hit that often, but he's shown that he can play nasty in front of the net. He has the size, skills and hockey sense of a really good prospect.

All in all, big, strong skater, can move the puck, and has a great shot. Already has played some games in the Jr. B.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Kalle Torniainen retires at age of 19 due shoulder injuries.

Sad story, he was really hyped few years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad