WC: Finland vs USA semi final!

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Sweden is not a bad hockey country, and a few subpar results from the past few years don't change that big picture. However... the best time and place to present that fact may not be when a group of Finns are enjoying the moment of reaching a WHC final. No one should be surprised that the end result is an absolute trainwreck.

To put it simply, the problem here may not be that certain Swedes here don't have a good point. It's that they're absolutely freakin' bad at reading the room.
I agree, its just not the best place for it even though I did agree with their point. Just like storming to the party and turning the music off.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
Everything changes from year to year depending on what players we get from the NHL and what coach we have. You know this. Please don’t make huge generalisations about Swedish hockey in general because of just a couple tournaments with replacable players. Sweden are absolutely not underperforming. You can say that if we stop producing top 10 picks and like 6 first rounders every year. That’s what pissed me off. Enjoy your medals. I have had my fair share of hockey-related enjoyment too and look back on those fondlly.

Some of our past best on best teams did great, some didn’t. It’s totally irrelevant now unless you want to claim Swedish players will always underperform regardless of circumstances because of culture or something. Seems like that is what you are trying to say?
Hmm.. when one nation produces several NHL players every year, but still fail to medal in Whc or Olympics... I would call it underperforming. Sweden should be most years in top 4, and while occasionally losin qf, it would mess the big picture.

Sweden just had 2 gold medals in a row, and most likely make comeback to final four.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Don’t make innacurate statements about Sweden not being good then. Because or C-team and former coach lost a game in OT. If I say ”these tournaments should not be used to judge quality of hockey programs”, you should respond with ”I agree but still like watching them”.
Our C team is far better than yours. We even won with our J team or something in 2019, where there was 19 debutors and zero NHL experience, even our best KHL players didin't arrive and there was only 2 KHL guys. 14 guys from Liiga and 4 from SHL.

Tell me that after you have won with D team or worse. Best on best you just see the tip of the iceberg, playing with C-D and worse teams tells alot about hockey program.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Our C team is far better than yours. We even won with our J team or something in 2019, where there was 19 debutors and zero NHL experience, even our best KHL players didin't arrive and there was only 2 KHL guys. 14 guys from Liiga and 4 from SHL.

Tell me that after you have won with D team or worse. Best on best you just see the tip of the iceberg, playing with C-D and worse teams tells alot about hockey program.
Sweden still have much much much better NHL depth than Finland. We have 108 NHLers and like 80 that are top 9Fs or top 6Ds. It's fair to say you have better high end Euro league players though. But worse Euro depth and obviously a much weaker league.

Last edited:

DeeQ

Apr 1, 2017
Just by reading all the threads I can tell that there is a big rivalry between SWE-FIN. Beats any rivalry in international hockey, even CAN-RUS.
And I just love it!

Last edited:
Reactions: FinPanda

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Just by reading all the threads I can tell that there is big a rivalry between SWE-FIN. Beats any rivalry in international hockey, even CAN-RUS.
And I just love it!
FIN_SWE GDT had most posts out of all group stage games. Only QF's have had more, and not even all of them and its only by like 20 posts. It's a massive rivalry.

Reactions: Dala and DeeQ

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Sweden still have much much much better NHL depth than Finland. We have 108 NHLers and like 80 that are top 9Fs or top 6Ds. It's fair to say you have better high end Euro league players though. But worse Euro depth and obviously a much weaker league.
I'd still take medals and international success, as long as country has good amount of top NHL players. Depth is good thing but you can't take 108 players into a tournament.

Same with Euro league depth, it doesn't help much when you can only have 4 line of players.

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
Congrats Suomi!

Finns absolutely love hockey, whenever they aren’t playing Canada I find myself cheering for them as they have a hockey culture the most similar to Canada.
Yep. Finland is pretty much Canada of Europe when it comes to hockey.

Maybe we share some basic mentality of things aswell.

Reactions: snipes

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
Quit allready... First you state; Sweden has alot better depth than Finland, but yet Sweden isnt underperforming, while not medaling... Which one is it? If you guys have such greater depth, then you guys are greatly underperforming.

And you said, we also have worse Euro depth? LOL!!!

You actually know nothing about our depth.. And please go back to your cave..

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Quit allready... First you state; Sweden has alot better depth than Finland, but yet Sweden isnt underperforming, while not medaling... Which one is it? If you guys have such greater depth, then you guys are greatly underperforming.

And you said, we also have worse Euro depth? LOL!!!

You actually know nothing about our depth.. And please go back to your cave..
I guess you could ask from Slovak and Czech fans, would they rather have Olympic and WHC golds or quadruple amount of Tatar's, Hronek's and Vrana's.

Last edited:
Reactions: THE JAM

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
My point was that which would Czech and Slovak fans choose, Olympic and WC gold medals or increased depth. So if they had a chance to clone those good depth players to increase it, or would they rather choose winning gold medals.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
My point was that which would Czech and Slovak fans choose, Olympic and WC gold medals or increased depth. So if they had a chance to clone those good depth players to increase it, or would they rather choose winning gold medals.
Depth and medals mostly come together.. You wont medal regularly with out good depth..

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Depth and medals mostly come together.. You wont medal regularly with out good depth..
Yes to a certain extent, but again you can only take certain amount of players to your team. Those 80 or whatnot players at home won't help you.

AB likes to talk about depth and that, which is obviously important. But winning is usually the key in professional sports. So would you rather have extra large depth or win more medals? I guess that depends on preference.

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU

Let's try to explain it to you: winning a hockey championship is not about how many NHL players you have in total. And it's not about what happened in the past.

You could have 500 players in the NHL and if they all want to come and participate in the next tournament,
this does not help you to win a tournament since there are only 22+3 player spots.

You have to build a TEAM - but that is not enough - and a TEAM is not a roster of players that perhaps will not gel with eachother.

- e g Sweden had a 'dream roster' but lost vs belarus.

The TEAM needs to be put together in a way that they all give their maximum effort - otherwise you'll lose like that stacked SWE lost to the FIN noname-team 2019.

Last edited:

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013
Ok the Finns play final game again against Canada. I hope they can beat them this time but it will be extremely difficult.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Congrats Suomi!

Finns absolutely love hockey, whenever they aren’t playing Canada I find myself cheering for them as they have a hockey culture the most similar to Canada.
Man i always thought it was Willy Nylander on your profile pic but i notice now it's McJesus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad