WC: Finland 2024 roster talk

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Game 5 for COL-DAL is scheduled for May 15, Game 6 for May 17. So unless the series goes to Game 7, the potential additions would likely get at least three games: FIN-DEN on May 20, FIN-SUI on May 21, and the QF. If the series ends in five, they could even make FIN-CAN on the 18th.

I mean, I'm not really holding my breath for any late additions, but that's a plausible schedule.

I believe that was the same amount of games as Heiskanen + Lindell had before we won gold on the season before last season. I remember that Granny joined a bit before them and he was a complete beast from the minute he joined. Heiskanen had one game below expectations (a tune up game for time difference), but he was so good after that. Lindell as usual was a bit under the radar, on Heiskanen's shadow, but doing his job like a machine. He's the second best defender we can have and he is so good player to have on PK.

I rather have Dallas eliminated than Colorado eliminated, but it better not be a 7 game series. Colorado has had more time to rest, so I'd expect them to be sharp in the first games. Colorado can steal the home advantage in those games. Home advantage seemed to matter for Dallas in that game 7 last night, so it's a big deal. Dallas might recover from a series deficit, as they did vs Vegas, so we'll see what happens.

Last edited:

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
And I'm glad that Mikael Granlund participates at the WHC. I always remember his airhook goal against Russia; I'm not sure if it was 2011, but it's a long time ago in any case. I'm no longer sure about the year.

Indeed, Granny did it in 2011 against Russia in a semifinal. To me Russia looked stunned after that goal. I don't think that Granlund has done a single lacrosse goal after that moment in an official ice hockey match. It just seems like he decided not to do them anymore. Actually it is possible that he tried few of them in his first seasons in Minnesota (I can't remember), but I don't think he scored any. I believe that he certainly stopped training lacrosse goals or rather trained other things.

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013
So that's that, but we can't forget Switzerland. Their top players will be better than our's but I think our depth & coaching > theirs. I wouldn't want our team to face SUI in a QF game though.
I think you are quite good in your assuming. Yes, we have some strong reinforcements from the NHL on our team. Switzerland depends much more on NHL players than Finland. Without them, we have no real chance.

But our problem is the quarterfinal. In case we can break the quarterfinal nightmare, all is possible for Switzerland. We were already twice as close to the gold medal. But if we reach the final game and Sweden is the opponent, we have only very minor chances. We just can't win against Sweden.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
It's nice to see some players who played this season in the Swiss national league. Mikko Lehtonen, who won the title with the ZSC Lions, contributed quite a lot to this success. Säteris' season for EHC Biel was quite good too.

And I'm glad that Mikael Granlund participates at the WHC. I always remember his airhook goal against Russia; I'm not sure if it was 2011, but it's a long time ago in any case. I'm no longer sure about the year.

By the way, Arttu Hyry, Rasmus Rissanen, Veli-Matti Vittasmäki, and Juha Jääskä, will this be their first participation at the WHC for the Finnish NT? These names are new for me, or I don't remember them having already played at the WHC.

Yeah Hyry and Jääskä had their breakthrough in NT this year. Hyry is late bloomer. Jääskä went through junior NTs and gradually build his game to this level. Both got NHL contract.

Vittasmäki and Rissanen are veteran defensive Ds that has been sort of candidates that has been under the cutting line for years. (well atleast in theory because Rissanen haven´t been it NT that many times).

I have gut feeling that Rissanen and Vittasmäki were actually D-pair more than 15 years ago in U18 WHC.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
I think Puistola-Helenius-Jormakka should play together. They were really good in Liiga playoffs. That's a line with established chemistry and success.

Playmaker82

May 2, 2023
Norway
If so, I guess it would be like this?

INNALA - GRANLUND - PULJUJARVI
OKSANEN - KAPANEN - PUUSTINEN
PUISTOLA - HELENIUS - JORMAKKA
MÄENALANEN - BJÖRNINEN - PAKARINEN
Jääskä, Hyry

Or this:

INNALA - KAPANEN - GRANLUND
PUUSTINEN - HYRY - PULJUJARVI
Jääska, Oksanen

The finns actually have quite a few possibilities with this squad.

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
During these success years we haven´t really won with offensive talent. And even if we like to talk about forward lines offense is probably not the key.

Goaltending, PK and how well the team will defence overall will be the factors. In Olympics we allowed 8 goals in 6 games. In 2021 we lost the final in OT with scoring 23 goals in 10 games of the tournament.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
As a sidenote if Finland would metal would Pasi and Patrik Puistola be actually the first father-son to medal in WHC for Finland in adults? Or am I missing someone.

Kalevi Numminen had European championhip silver in 1962 and Teppo several olympic medals, but that is the only similar that comes to my mind.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
So that's that, but we can't forget Switzerland. Their top players will be better than our's but I think our depth & coaching > theirs. I wouldn't want our team to face SUI in a QF game though.
Well, there's zero chance of this happening, since the Swiss are in the same group as us.

I think Puistola-Helenius-Jormakka should play together. They were really good in Liiga playoffs. That's a line with established chemistry and success.
Jalonen had the option to use it when these three players were on the camp together before Helenius was sent to the U18s, and he used it in exactly one game - the exhibition vs. Sweden that was played in Mikkeli (go figure). They didn't really generate much. He also had that possibility when Helenius was recalled but didn't go there. So I don't think it's among the options he'll consider first. But we'll see.

If so, I guess it would be like this?

INNALA - GRANLUND - PULJUJARVI
OKSANEN - KAPANEN - PUUSTINEN
Jääskä, Hyry

Or this:

INNALA - KAPANEN - GRANLUND
PUUSTINEN - HYRY - PULJUJARVI
Jääska, Oksanen

The finns actually have quite a few possibilities with this squad.
There are three things I can technically guarantee will happen: Granlund will be in the top-six (duh), whether center or wing, and our bottom-six centers will be Hyry and Björninen. Hyry did so well in this role during the camp and was never on the wing. So the odds of him being on wing or out of the lineup are pretty close to zero.

From there the play with musical chairs begins. We have Innala, Puustinen, Puistola, Kapanen, Helenius and Pulju out of whom the top-six will be built along with MiG, and one of them will have to either start in the bottom-six or out of the lineup. Out of the designated bottom-six guys, I guess Jääskä has the biggest odds of not having a spot from the start, but we'll see.

Of course, the composition of the third line does not have to be strictly grinding, but will likely feature at least one designated PK player.

And the special teams will likely affect the top-six as well. Usually, Jalonen has built the PP units around the 1st and 2nd lines instead of mixin'n'matching them from all around the lineup, as it's easier to get regular rotation going during those couple first shifts once the PP is over.

Another high probability guess is that Kapanen will be a center in the top-six. So the path for Helenius to feature in the lineup goes through either him or Granlund being placed on wing.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Kaski is average in SHL but looks good internationally. Kind of weird.
Kaski has been pretty average in his previous NT outings as well. This spring's camp performance was actually the first time he's been pretty convincing all around. Here's hoping his form remains, but I'm glad we have Saarijärvi on the team so that we don't have to rely on Kaski alone to provide that secondary puckmoving.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Finally, i returned home from the big church. U18 worlds was a great event, i've never met this many NHL personalities at once and how nice all of them were. But the show goes on, men's tournament and it is very Jalonen-esq team once again. 10 first timers, great!

Säteri
Larmi
Lehtinen

Määttä - Lehtonen
Rissanen - Saarijärvi
Riikola - Kaski
Vittasmäki - Mattila

So many options available

Innala - Granlund - Puljujärvi
Oksanen - Kapanen - Puustinen
Puistola - Hyry - Jormakka
Mäenalanen - Björninen - Pakarinen
Helenius, Jääskä

Granlund - Hyry - Puljujärvi
Innala - Kapanen - Puustinen
Puistola - Helenius - Jormakka
Mäenalanen - Björninen - Pakarinen
Oksanen, Jääskä

Puustinen - Granlund - Puljujärvi
Puistola - Kapanen - Helenius
Jääskä - Hyry - Jormakka
Mäenalanen - Björninen - Oksanen
Innala, Pakarinen

Pakarinen - Granlund - Puustinen
Innala - Helenius - Puljujärvi
Jääskä - Kapanen - Hyry
Puistola, Jormakka

Puistola - Granlund - Pakarinen
Oksanen - Helenius - Puustinen
Innala - Kapanen - Puljujärvi
Mäenalanen - Björninen - Hyry
Jääskä, Jormakka

Jääskä - Granlund - Helenius
Puustinen - Kapanen - Puljujärvi
Innala - Hyry - Puistola
Pakarinen, Jormakka

for example

Reactions: illone84

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Määttä - Lehtonen
Rissanen - Saarijärvi
Riikola - Kaski
Vittasmäki - Mattila
Rissanen and Kaski were virtually married at the hip all camp long - every game with both in the lineup, they were a pair - so I don't see why that suddenly changes.

Forward options are indeed plentiful. While I still view some of the ones you thought up as more likely to become a reality than some others, I don't see any of them as utterly outlandish.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Rissanen and Kaski were virtually married at the hip all camp long - every game with both in the lineup, they were a pair - so I don't see why that suddenly changes.
Indeed, i was going to type that but then i thought that on paper atleast Rissanen-Saarijärvi should match very well. But yeah most likely JJ keeps them together.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Well, there's zero chance of this happening, since the Swiss are in the same group as us.

Okay, let's say in a semifnal game then ;), lol. I'll admit, this year I've been busy enough not to even check who are in our group. I've missed some key things here and there regarding this season's WHC tournament. Half-assing is the proper word for it.

On another subject, we'll most likely hear about what the lines are for the first game vs Czechia relatively soon, when the practice line information is revealed. Usually MTV3 reveals these things first, so that would be where to look first.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Less NHL players we have the better, usually things go well with no egos and just humble workers, atleast with Jalonen.

No expectations whatsoever, let's see how they play against quite stacked teams. Would be hilarious if Puljujärvi becomes some sort of a hero again

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013
I hope for the Finns, Säteri is in form. If the Finns have a strong and reliable goalie, they always have been very good. If the goalie is solid and reliable, he can strengthen the whole team. Although this is more or less valid for every team, I think for the Finns it's more important. The Canadians for example can rather compensate a weaker goalie with the better skilled players on the field than the Finns.

Reactions: Mestaruus

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Our forward group is so much younger than usual. Interesting to see Mikael Granlund go from like youngest player on the team to be the 3rd oldest forward. Makes me feel old too...

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Our forward group is so much younger than usual.
It's not even remarkably young, just much more healthily balanced. We have five forwards born on the 1st half of the 1990s, five born on the 2nd half, and four born in the 2000s. Now that the players born in the 80s are starting to phase out of the picture, it shows how good our junior development program was in the 2010s - even if this isn't exactly the top shelf selection. But our hypothetical best-on-best team (which won't be so hypothetical anymore next February) looks largely the same.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
It's not even remarkably young, just much more healthily balanced. We have five forwards born on the 1st half of the 1990s, five born on the 2nd half, and four born in the 2000s. Now that the players born in the 80s are starting to phase out of the picture, it shows how good our junior development program was in the 2010s - even if this isn't exactly the top shelf selection. But our hypothetical best-on-best team (which won't be so hypothetical anymore next February) looks largely the same.
Its like 2 years younger than the team 2 years ago, and like 1,5 years younger than last years team. It is still a bit younger, maybe not as much as I first thought but still a bit.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Its like 2 years younger than the team 2 years ago, and like 1,5 years younger than last years team. It is still a bit younger, maybe not as much as I first thought but still a bit.
It is, albeit Helenius contributes to that figure quite a bit. I did the math: without him the average age of our forwards is 27,2 years, with him it's 26,4.

Reactions: FinPanda

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad