Finding 2 New Defencemen for the Oilers

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Chiarelli should be signing Demers. That is straight forward. Overpay as needed.

But also, he should scoop up a guy like Yandle or Campbell for the left side. Upgrade the LD.

Then, one of Nurse, Klef, or Davidson can be traded away to land a #1 Dman.

Campbell isn't what we need, he isn't a top 4 defenseman anymore. It would be Ference V2.0, with a bit better passing.

Yandle would be a good option, but the odds of him wanting to come here are small in my opinion.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Gudbranson would have been a really nice fit. 6'5" RHD like that don't come around too often....damn shame we missed this one.

It's a shame, but if you look at the return they got, we didn't have the kind of pieces that it would have taken without giving up a marquee piece. Plus, Friedman thinks that it was a move that had Florida's long term cap situation in mind, so unless we were going to move #4 overall in a deal for Gudbranson, I don't think there is anything we could have done. If true, this was basically a dump move.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Scratch Gudbranson off this list...turns out he was available "thadd". Gudbranson would have been a good fit on Edmonton's blue-line, just as Dougie Hamilton would have been last year. It's too bad that both ended up with division rivals.

Chiarelli has got to be feeling some pressure now to pull off at least one but preferably two blockbuster trades for top-four, right-handed defencemen. If the Oilers show up to training camp with much the same group and a mediocre free-agent signing (like Demers or Campbell, same calibre as Sekera), then Chiarelli will be faced with a ton of criticism considering the moves Brad Treliving and Jim Benning were able to pull off for Hamilton and Gudbranson, respectively.

Thadd suggested that he wasn't available for Eberle, not that he wasn't available. And if Friedman's suggestion of Florida doing this for long-term cap reasons is correct, then Thadd is correct, Gudbranson was available, but not for a contract like Eberle's.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Just an fyi - there's a Canucks poster on a completely separate site who tends to be right regarding her Canucks rumours (Hockey Widow), she stated that Edmonton was in the hunt for Guds. Apparently the offer was the 32nd and Yak, who knows if it's true or not.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
The Oilers need to add some defencemen this offseason. That's no secret. Who might they be targeting? I came up with this list of 32 candidates to bolster the blue-line: http://thehockeywriters.com/finding-2-new-defencemen-for-the-oilers/

"The Oilers were threatening to go all-in on a Hamilton offer sheet to price him out of Boston and it would make sense to do the same with Barrie. Getting him for nothing but millions of dollars over the next decade would be quite the coop. "

So what you are saying is that signing Barrie, out of Colorado, would be great as a start for building homes for chickens?

Dude...its not "coop", it's COUP...

and for the record; it is NOT EVEN PRONOUNCED the same...so why do you even make that mistake. you are a professional writer, man!?!

That one is worse than people who mix up chalk/chock in sayings like "chalk it up" (ive seen some say "chock it up" which makes zero sense regarding the meaning of the expressions) and "chock-full" (ive seen "chalk full"---which makes me scratch my head because what purpose would chalk filling an object ever have????-- "shock full" "chawk full" even...which is just...no...NO. ) At least those audibly sound the same. but they are still inexcusable.

-------------------------------

Anyways, your article basically covers what the posters on this board have been saying all year.

Not to be mean but if you ARE a professional writer...your job is to give us information we dont already know and have us think in ways WE DONT ALREADY THINK. YOur article is a summary of every days conversations here on HF.

Last edited:

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Just an fyi - there's a Canucks poster on a completely separate site who tends to be right regarding her Canucks rumours (Hockey Widow), she stated that Edmonton was in the hunt for Guds. Apparently the offer was the 32nd and Yak, who knows if it's true or not.

Yeah, she has had success. I think the price was high to give up a 1st round prospect.

I think people bashing Gud are a little out to lunch. He isnt a top D-man but i do think his game will be stronger in the West. He is NOT at the point where he can do things himself AND HE IS NOT A PUCK-MOVER.

Honestly he could be a Jason Smith guy and that to me would have been enough reason for me to send Yak and 32. BUT if that didnt get it done, (seems pretty damn fair to me) than i like the fact the Oilers didnt go higher. I dont see Gud ever living up to his draft position just like Yak. But situations--team and divisional styles- could get them to bigger games than they show now. Gud will never be a guy who looks like a 3rd over all, unless you always remember that Phillips was once a 1st overall pick.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Gudbranson would have been a really nice fit. 6'5" RHD like that don't come around too often....damn shame we missed this one.

The price was too high.
If the Widows "inside" info was true and the Oilers offered Yak and our 32...than I think that was a good offer. Its an offer that makes sense and ALSO an offer that makes sense as far as why we would stop there and not go further.

I am surprised that FLA would not wait until the draft though. That part is rediculoous to me. Floridas an interesting team to watch for the drama apparently/rumored/likely playing out behind the scenes.

Last edited:

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Campbell isn't what we need, he isn't a top 4 defenseman anymore. It would be Ference V2.0, with a bit better passing.

Yandle would be a good option, but the odds of him wanting to come here are small in my opinion.

Comparing Campbell to Ference is pretty bad.
I am not a big Campbell fan but IF he was in a 3-4M price range...he helps this team. I just dont know if JUly makes him that price range and what term he will have offered to him. I dont think the Oilers would be offering up a lot of term for him.

Had reduced impact on the PP because of the young guys taking those prime minutes. I still think he can be a solid player but I dont consider him a top guy.
I DO CONSIDER Him a GREAT mentor and another weapon for our PP.

OUR PP needs point weapons to make opponents repect the points. Its a MAJOR issue that i dont mind estimating costs us about 15 goals during the season. PP and 5 on 5 we simply dont threaten opposing teams with any of our point men. I also will point out that my 15 goal estimation is IMMEDIATE goals, as-in direct goals not rebounds, not screen goals etc. If i estimate 15 goals DIRECTLY... it probably means 30 goals total. Reason? If you have those threats on the point...you will get more space on the cycle for Eberle/Drais/HAll/MCD and THAT is what its all really about.

Its too easy for teams to focus on our deep play and slack at point coverage. We dont make teams pay fromt he point. We need to do that. Right now every team basically has their 5 guys defending our 3 forwards every shift/

-----------------------------------------------------

Also, it is OK if you build a team with LEFT shots being your skilled guys. I dont think you have to feel pressed to have a Norris candidate on the RH side. We need a top D and we NEED RHDs but we dont need our top Dman to be a RH shot.
Its funny because LONG AGO back in 05 me and other posters...Keith and Racki and some others (the old OILERS board)...we talked alot about RHD and LHD. We got flamed heavily on the boards for breaking Dmen into their shot alignment (and Centres). In fact the hostility i think came to a head when I wrote a piece on the Stoll trade for Vis and got lambasted for it. My article basically went into detail of how i love Vis but not at the cost of a steady RHD, RHC and the heavy gaps created by those moves which we were in no position to fill (horcoff was rushed back from his shoulder recovery to be our ONLY NHL centre and injured his other shoulder in the process-both shoulders are still messed because of never healing)./ It became such an issue that I made a thread with a HUGE opening post going into every detail of why it is important and why the association of a players shot is absolutely necessary IN ANY POSITION and why it is so IMPORTANT on defence. NOw everyone talks of right shots and left shots but i still dont think people get it (yak is a good case that quietly bothers me).

Last edited:

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
This team needs puck moving D men, not offensively challenged guys like Gudbranson. We have seen how pathetic the Oilers offensive breakouts have been the last few seasons with the lack of good puck moving D.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
I would go with Demers and Luke Schenn. If we can get both Oh them along top 9 right shot winger, right shot 3rd line center and back up the team is set to make play offs

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
"The Oilers were threatening to go all-in on a Hamilton offer sheet to price him out of Boston and it would make sense to do the same with Barrie. Getting him for nothing but millions of dollars over the next decade would be quite the coop. "

So what you are saying is that signing Barrie, out of Colorado, would be great as a start for building homes for chickens?

Dude...its not "coop", it's COUP...

and for the record; it is NOT EVEN PRONOUNCED the same...so why do you even make that mistake. you are a professional writer, man!?!

That one is worse than people who mix up chalk/chock in sayings like "chalk it up" (ive seen some say "chock it up" which makes zero sense regarding the meaning of the expressions) and "chock-full" (ive seen "chalk full"---which makes me scratch my head because what purpose would chalk filling an object ever have????-- "shock full" "chawk full" even...which is just...no...NO. ) At least those audibly sound the same. but they are still inexcusable.

-------------------------------

Anyways, your article basically covers what the posters on this board have been saying all year.

Not to be mean but if you ARE a professional writer...your job is to give us information we dont already know and have us think in ways WE DONT ALREADY THINK. YOur article is a summary of every days conversations here on HF.

You realise your response is full of grammar errors .

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I would go with Demers and Luke Schenn. If we can get both Oh them along top 9 right shot winger, right shot 3rd line center and back up the team is set to make play offs

That's just not good enough for me

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
We should get a right shooting defenceman that has gone deep in the playoffs. This way they can help mentor the young guys what it takes to be a winner. Someone like Schultz...

I like this reasoning. Proven winner, excelled at every level. Let's see if we can get Shulz back as well. We can really shelter the rest of the D with that pair hogging the tough minutes.

jeg

Jun 16, 2015

I actually thought of this myself we would fill some holes without giving up anything but $$

Klefbom/Demers
Sekera/Fayne
Davidson/Schenn
Nurse

Demers will be a good enough puck mover and Schenn, on a short term contract protects Griffy/Nurse another year or two. If we could land a player like Shaw we would be sitting
Hall / Drai / RNH
Maroon / McD / Ebs
Pou / shaw / Kass
Hend / Lets / Paka
The bottom 3 could use work and Korp needs a home and Yak gone for a young RHD 1/2 years away to fill Schenns/Fayne spot

Although Barrie is Oilers best option if available

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
I fixed the "coop" to "coup", nice catch there. So which is the right chalk/chock it up? I've always used "chalk" as in a chalkboard, but is that the wrong reference? Appreciate constructive criticism. As for not telling you what you already know, mainstream media does this on a daily basis too. Yes, everybody is mulling over the same list of names, but I feel I added a few new ones further down the list and put a lot of effort into this post.

As for Thadd saying Gudbranson was available but not for Eberle, I don't see any hint that Thadd thought he was available. He started by "LOLing" at Gudbranson being on the list and essentially called him a core piece in Florida. It just goes to show that core pieces do sometimes move and we shouldn't laugh off suggestions that might seem "outside the box".

vincent1999

May 5, 2014
Mr. Larry Fisher

I fixed the "coop" to "coup", nice catch there. So which is the right chalk/chock it up? I've always used "chalk" as in a chalkboard, but is that the wrong reference? Appreciate constructive criticism. As for not telling you what you already know, mainstream media does this on a daily basis too. Yes, everybody is mulling over the same list of names, but I feel I added a few new ones further down the list and put a lot of effort into this post.

As for Thadd saying Gudbranson was available but not for Eberle, I don't see any hint that Thadd thought he was available. He started by "LOLing" at Gudbranson being on the list and essentially called him a core piece in Florida. It just goes to show that core pieces do sometimes move and we shouldn't laugh off suggestions that might seem "outside the box".

Contrary to some of the comments on this board, I found Mr. Fisher's article quite useful as it did pretty much fully explore the issue of what options are open to the Oilers in terms of adding to their deficient current set of defenceman (including UFA, trades, swaps, and drafting). In particular, the "left"/ "right" side is a source of concern and "despair".

The article also made it quite obvious that given the current crop of 2016 draftable defenceman (the best of them are all left side d-man) and the time frame for their development (ie none are likely to be ready for NHL play in 2016/17, and will all require "nurturing"), and as such given the weakness of the Oiler forward prospect pool in relation to the relative strength of the left d-man prospect pool, drafting a forward at #4 seems to be a better option that grabbing a lower ranked left d-man at #4. Picking up a right side d-man in the mid-teens or early twenties of the draft is something that might only pan out in the 3 to 5 year time frame, so won't help solve the problem with the make-up/composition of the current team.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I think "chalk-full" would be like the chalkboard is full of scholarly info. It's "good to go".
"Chock-it-up" so it doesn't roll away.
"Chalk-it-up" onto the board so you don't forget.
It's all water under the fridge..

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If both Vatanen and Barrie are on the market, we have to get one of them, plain and simple IMO.

2nd d-man just has to be better than Fayne, don't care too much who that is.

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
Gonna be a very interesting draft to say the least. I believe the following Dman are available:

Demers, Russell, Vatanen, Shattenkirk, Subban, Barrie.

What do people think of Russell? Great shot blocker, good wheels, and is an Alberta boy. Subban is a great Dman, but will he cause problems in the dressing room? The Habs have a heart-on for Dubois. Would Nuge, Yak and the 4th work for Subban and their 1st?

Vatanen? There were rumors of Pouliot and Yak for Vatanen. Not sure on this one.

Demers would be a good pu, but would come at a price tag along with Shattenkirk.

Barrie will cost ya Eberle.

We need 2 of them. Just who is the 2? Thoughts?

I like Russell and Demers

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

Luke Schenn? Luke......Schenn?

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I read the article and I was like wow this is a surprisingly good write up particularly given my impressions of your past write-ups and then I hit Buffalo and it started going off the rails and never got fully back on. Pysyk for Klefbom being a potential "win-win", Gudbranson for Eberle, and the additional million times you hinted that swapping Klefbom for a clearly inferior d-man were terribly aggravating. Then you had us potentially getting Chris Tanev for little more than garbage, for a little bit you almost tricked me into thinking you knew what you were talking about, then the longer it dragged on the more obvious it became that you are more of a casual hockey fan. My recommendations are to suggest less trade hypotheticals some of them were veiled by non-commital language, but it showed your lack of knowledge in the players involved. To be fair I've read horrible trade suggestions proposals by professional print journalists so don't feel too bad about it, but it's quite rare to see so many bad ones or lobsided ones in one place & reading them in one sitting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad