Finding 2 New Defencemen for the Oilers

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I absolutely love the fact that I made a joke post on the Canes HF boards about Faulk not being happy, then one Canes poster included it in a "value of" proposal and now it make it into an article. Too funny.

Until I made that post, there wasn't 1 single comment about him not being happy and now it's all over the place.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
The site won't load for me :/

It's a virus! This is what I see popping all over my screen:

Edmonton-Oilers-General-Manager-Steve-Tambellini-open-about-No-1-Draft-Pick-dealing-NHL-Updates-74616.jpg

:sarcasm: Jking. Not sure why it isn't opening :P

HotToddy75

Jun 13, 2011
Chiarelli should be signing Demers. That is straight forward. Overpay as needed.

But also, he should scoop up a guy like Yandle or Campbell for the left side. Upgrade the LD.

Then, one of Nurse, Klef, or Davidson can be traded away to land a #1 Dman.

Captain Pilsner

Sep 1, 2005
Chiarelli should be signing Demers. That is straight forward. Overpay as needed.

But also, he should scoop up a guy like Yandle or Campbell for the left side. Upgrade the LD.

Then, one of Nurse, Klef, or Davidson can be traded away to land a #1 Dman.

I really like this line of thought. Nailed it.

P.S. good article, covering basically half the dmen in the league :laugh: but I like

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Finally worked for me.

Really solid article. Lots of bloggers write stuff about the Oilers without understanding needs and value. I enjoyed it and don't really have any gripes with anything.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
We should get a right shooting defenceman that has gone deep in the playoffs. This way they can help mentor the young guys what it takes to be a winner. Someone like Schultz...

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
One good right shooting defender is all we need to be most likely "in the mix" of a playoff spot.

Two good right shooting defense to hopefully be a guaranteed playoff team. Depending what we give up to get those defenders tho.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The dream add to me would be Trouba. Subban is better but that big cap hit might be tough. I'd still trade for Subban if he were our only major option though.

Jets fans say he's staying, and playing on the left side. I wonder about that, and I'm not so sure that Jets fans are necessarily on the same page as their GM and ownership. But yeah, we need to look at lots of different options, and we can't linger on a dream candidate too long if a genuine option opens up. Quite frankly, any of those right shot Dmen who have great puck skills would be fantastic to add, and our forwards would make them look like a superstar no matter who it was. When a player fits a need well, they end up looking good.

edit: but only get Dan Boyle as a 3rd pairing guy. That's all we can count on, and I doubt he's coming here.

I would also wonder if Shea Weber is available for the right cost. The odds there might be low, but it's worth a phone call to Nashville to pick their brains about

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
I left Weber out, even as a long-shot target, because I think Nashville's asking price starts with Draisaitl AND the fourth overall pick. That's steep, real steep. I think Edmonton could land two of these "lesser" (but younger) talents for the price of that one.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
I left Weber out, even as a long-shot target, because I think Nashville's asking price starts with Draisaitl AND the fourth overall pick. That's steep, real steep. I think Edmonton could land two of these "lesser" (but younger) talents for the price of that one.

Recapture penalties also make that contract hard to move. Would have time for Ellis but Nashville doesn't have anyone to replace him.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Recapture penalties also make that contract hard to move. Would have time for Ellis but Nashville doesn't have anyone to replace him.

I don't get this point, which comes up a lot. Weber is on one of those long term deals that are now banned, but it's not one those that went to age 43 or anything. He'll be 40 when the deal expires. Elite Dmen like him play that long. It's one year of recapture at worst, and there's also a great chance that he's LTIR-ed by then.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
I don't get this point, which comes up a lot. Weber is on one of those long term deals that are now banned, but it's not one those that went to age 43 or anything. He'll be 40 when the deal expires. Elite Dmen like him play that long. It's one year of recapture at worst, and there's also a great chance that he's LTIR-ed by then.

The recapture makes it a huge gamble for Nashville. One career ending hit and their cap situation goes to hell.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
No to coughing up Nurse or Klefbom for Barrie. He's not worth it.

LOL at putting Gundbrandson's name here. He's not available for Eberle. He's a beast that just signed a bridge contract.

Hickey shouldn't interest us. He hasn't played well enough for long enough to prove himself as an established 2nd pairing guy and he's a dwarf. We'd be better off giving Osterle a shot.

Tanev for a 2nd rounder and Musil is pretty much giving him away for free. Why would Vancouver do that favour for one of their rivals?

Why is Lindholm even on this list? He's possibly the most untouchable player in Anaheim right now.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Scratch Gudbranson off this list...turns out he was available "thadd". Gudbranson would have been a good fit on Edmonton's blue-line, just as Dougie Hamilton would have been last year. It's too bad that both ended up with division rivals.

Chiarelli has got to be feeling some pressure now to pull off at least one but preferably two blockbuster trades for top-four, right-handed defencemen. If the Oilers show up to training camp with much the same group and a mediocre free-agent signing (like Demers or Campbell, same calibre as Sekera), then Chiarelli will be faced with a ton of criticism considering the moves Brad Treliving and Jim Benning were able to pull off for Hamilton and Gudbranson, respectively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad