Waived: Filppula placed on Waivers

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Helm-LGD-Erne line is the only line that's actually looked good in the past couple of games. Why the Helm hate?

Sure he can't score goals, but his futility is sorta entertaining and it's useful to have one line that can kill some clock without getting scored on.
I don't think there's anything wrong with having 3 guys who can't score goals on a legit NHL roster.

When you have 6 or 8 it's a problem.

But in any case, yea, Helm is a low priority problem. He's fine.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I don't think there's anything wrong with having 3 guys who can't score goals on a legit NHL roster.

When you have 6 or 8 it's a problem.

But in any case, yea, Helm is a low priority problem. He's fine.
Helm can't score, but LGD has more points than Zadina, Flip, Weird Flip, and Brome. Both LGD and Erne are scoring on a 20 - 25 pt pace (for a full season) which is what you'd expect out of a 4th liner.

It is what it is.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Helm can't score, but LGD has more points than Zadina, Flip, Weird Flip, and Brome. Both LGD and Erne are scoring on a 20 - 25 pt pace (for a full season) which is what you'd expect out of a 4th liner.

It is what it is.
Yea Flip and Weird Flip I'd be much more inclined to complain about of the lot, they don't have excuses for their lack of production.

Would be nice for Zadina to kick it up a few notches but he's a kid.

Brome was a free asset who has played 22 NHL games total in his life.

Our leading scorer is tied for #115 in points leaguewide, and we've only got 4 guys with double digit points after 25 games.

So yea we've got plenty of scoring problems to go around. If our top 9 as a whole could manage more than a goal per game on average, nobody would care if Helm never scored again. And yea I think LGD gets the fewest complaints of anyone on our team lately (deservedly so).

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Why is he on waivers?
"Salary cap flexibility." Saves $1.075M on the cap, pro-rated of course.

Fee free to speculate on what he's gonna do with the cap space. Virtually all of the bad expiring contracts are on non-playoff teams, except the Blue that have a few players on LTIR.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Man if you'd told me a year ago that Yzerman would waiving all of Filppula, Nielsen, DK and buy out Abby, I simply wouldn't believe it. Obviously context matters, but still.

Reactions: Konnan511

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Man if you'd told me a year ago that Yzerman would waiving all of Filppula, Nielsen, DK and buy out Abby, I simply wouldn't believe it. Obviously context matters, but still.

Waiving doesn't really matter when they are still here.

All 3 have sat out games, so I don't see the complaint. With injuries and COVID, the WIngs need some warm bodies. Keep in mind Flip had to play 1C just 2 games ago.

DDK has played better than expected since his return, and has been a better partner for Hronek than Nemeth who has sucked this season. The bar is low, but he's better than the alternative, Biega.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
What exactly are you expecting him to do? NHL has guaranteed contracts, you can't make these guys just vanish.
I get that. But waiving them and no one claims them and they come right back isn't "progress". I don't get why ppl get excited when they get waived they are coming right back.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
No surprise

shocked.gif

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I get that. But waiving them and no one claims them and they come right back isn't "progress". I don't get why ppl get excited when they get waived they are coming right back.

I think because initially people were hoping (myself included) it was to send a message about their play. When in reality it's for more flexibility and penny pinching by being able to put them on the taxi squad.

Though I do think it has to be humbling to be waived by your team and then have no in the league want you.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I think because initially people were hoping (myself included) it was to send a message about their play. When in reality it's for more flexibility and penny pinching by being able to put them on the taxi squad.

Though I do think it has to be humbling to be waived by your team and then have no in the league want you.
Sending 2 way contracts (Svech, Brome, Ras) to the taxi squad is penny pinching. Sending one way contracts (Biega, DDK, FLip, WEird Flip) to the taxi squad only saves cap space, no actual money.

The question is why are they penny pinching cap space?

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Sending 2 way contracts (Svech, Brome, Ras) to the taxi squad is penny pinching. Sending one way contracts (Biega, DDK, FLip, WEird Flip) to the taxi squad only saves cap space, no actual money.

1. It signals SY will weaponize our Capspace to the fullest while simultaneously dumping UFA's for (2nds-7ths and/or b-level prospects).

For ex. : Nemeth@50% for late 2nd & 3rd + ~$3-4m/yr cap dump UFA. So instead of just a mid-late 2nd (~best case) for Nemeth @full price at/before TDL, we net an extra 3rd + possibly a useful plug (Staal or better caliber) to flesh out the remainder of '20-'21. Or better yet, an actual useful (but not good enough to be on a contender @ $cost/cap) player, who may/may not be a future RW.

2. No reason we can't just Flip the capdumps @50% off to other teams.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Passing through waivers makes them waiver exempt for thirty or so days right? Or am I misremembering? If so, my guess is it's less about saving cap space and more about being able to move these guys in and out of the roster without risking them to waivers.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Passing through waivers makes them waiver exempt for thirty or so days right? Or am I misremembering? If so, my guess is it's less about saving cap space and more about being able to move these guys in and out of the roster without risking them to waivers.
Yes, but does it matter if they're exempt or not? Nobody wants Flip, Nielsen, or DDK at full price.

Reactions: golffuul

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Not that I want him back next season, but Flip's got 5 pts in 6 games since coming back and is now outpacing Svech, Raz, Vlad, LGD, Helm, Nielsen (of course, lol) in PPG.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad