Prospect Info: Filip Hållander

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
I doubt Hallander will ever be as good offensively as Kapanen at the NHL level, but he does appear to be a lot smarter and more defensively sound
Yeah, it seems unlikely. Kapanen certainly has an edge in straight up talent & physical ability with his speed, hands, & shot...but his low hockey IQ and inability to make plays really seems to have inhibited him from being more than a 20+25 guy. Who knows, maybe he takes a new step in understanding the game, but I doubt it.

From what I understand, Hallander seems like a smarter, less skilled player who might make up the difference in skill with consistent hard work, and being in the right place at the right time to make plays more often. It will be interesting to watch him develop though for sure, still a long ways between where he is now, and where Kapanen is.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
be8e495a-8ce4-490b-9ce5-becd5d999355.jpeg

discuss.

I've read him saying he wants to play a two way game and have a net presence. He tries to model his game after Hornqvist. I'd gladly take that, this team needs more of this, even better if he can be responsible defensively and bring a work ethic.

I hope he takes this time seriously and comes into camp and makes the team. A nice, entry level contract in a capped out lineup. Could be a sleeper acquisition while the focus is only on the 1st Rounder.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Though to be fair Kaps offensive reputation was more based around potential than results. 44 points hugh (so far) may not be too hard to replicate
44 points with only 3 on the powerplay is really good though. He had the 5th most 5v5 points on the team this year and 6th most last year. The problem with him is he was pretty underwhelming on both special teams, and is pretty bad defensively. Although I don't think the Leafs will have an easy time replacing his offensive impact, I doubt they will have a hard time replacing his overall impact. In fact, I would be very surprised if they couldn't bring in a more cost effective player to replace him

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
44 points with only 3 on the powerplay is really good though. He had the 5th most 5v5 points on the team this year and 6th most last year. The problem with him is he was pretty underwhelming on both special teams, and is pretty bad defensively. Although I don't think the Leafs will have an easy time replacing his offensive impact, I doubt they will have a hard time replacing his overall impact. In fact, I would be very surprised if they couldn't bring in a more cost effective player to replace him

His benefit was he is one of those guys who could just hit his stride and put up 60-65 points. When you have speed as he does, and the number of breakaways he gets, it's only a matter of time before he gets his head more level. A bump up in the lineup will be a big deal for him.

I will be looking at Kapanen next year in any sports pools I take if I see good value there. If the Leafs do well with his cap space and 1st rounder in a flipped trade, it won't matter. As I've said, I'm open to trading anyone not named Matthews or Muzzin as long as it ensures a better, more difficult team to play against next year, and finally, some playoff Gamers.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Though to be fair Kaps offensive reputation was more based around potential than results. 44 points hugh (so far) may not be too hard to replicate
That’s very fair. But this is not a straight up Hallander for Kap trade. The 15th overall is a big piece and should be enough for Kap in itself.

Reactions: kb and Menzinger

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
I LOVE this trade. Would have given Kappy up for the 1st rounder as an asset to go fishing for a d-man, getting Hallander as a throw in/bonus is great. I think all the other parts of the deal are interchangeable drek.
It will be interesting to see if he comes over for the training camp, how he looks. Assuming he is all healed up now, it will be great to have him push for a job and up the competition.

Reactions: ForzaZuffa and kb

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Sounds like he plays a pwf style game. Sign me up

From my viewings of him when he was playing internationally his game seemed somewhat similar to Carl Grundstrom.

"A very hard working winger and great team player. Grundström plays an aggressive in-your-face type of game with plenty of intensity. Is strong on his skates, forechecks well and is very valuable on the penalty kill. He is not the most technically skilled player, but will chip in offensively and reads the game fairly well. Does a great job around the crease and along the boards. Great character with good timing in his hits".

What was said about Grundstrom could apply similarly to Hallander only perhaps a little less physical.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
From my viewings of him when he was playing internationally his game seemed somewhat similar to Carl Grundstrom.

"A very hard working winger and great team player. Grundström plays an aggressive in-your-face type of game with plenty of intensity. Is strong on his skates, forechecks well and is very valuable on the penalty kill. He is not the most technically skilled player, but will chip in offensively and reads the game fairly well. Does a great job around the crease and along the boards. Great character with good timing in his hits".

What was said about Grundstrom could apply similarly to Hallander only perhaps a little less physical.
That’s how the team needs to be remade.
You don’t need superstars to win the cup.
All Skill doesn’t need to be 8,9,10 million dollars.
You need hard working 2 way team and a select core at prime positions.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

JT
Matthews

Are a great 1-2 punch. Nylander, Marner, Kappy, AJ, Kerfoot etc are just along for the ride. They arent going to get it done in the PO.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I’m sure there are rare cases in which teams won the cup without superstars. But if your goal is to with the cup, you’re best odds are to have superstars locked on your team for 10+ years and build around them with speed, skill and grit.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

I'd say you're preaching to the choir here, but due to Covid-19 and social distancing practices we're not meeting at this time. :wg:

Leafs bottom 6 should be full of blue collar hard working players not afraid to play in traffic nor get their noses dirty if need be.

Reactions: Trapper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
This is a dubas quote on Hallander.

It's just the way he's played in Lulea in the SHL as a very young player, especially last year at 19 years old," said Dubas when asked what gives him confidence Hallander will make it to the NHL.
"The way that he played at the top of the lineup for a very good team and played in all situations and was very responsible at both ends of the ice. His intelligence and way he plays the game, in addition to his talent level and competitiveness, were the things that really stood out to us."

Top team,top line and all situations player. Interesting for me how he shows in training camp. Button says he played left wing there. He is listed as a center. Maybe our third line center. I hope so.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
The question is he a C or a Winger? A lot of conflicting reports.

why does it matter?
If he is a c awesome another one to add in but he is never overtaking JT or Matthews

if he is a winger he is a left winger where we are probably shallowest in our system. Hyman is a converted rw, even micheyev spent the entirety of his career outside the nhl as a rw (most Russians seem to play off wing it seems). Robertson and now Hallander as natural lw is awesome to add to the pipeline

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
why does it matter?
If he is a c awesome another one to add in but he is never overtaking JT or Matthews

if he is a winger he is a left winger where we are probably shallowest in our system. Hyman is a converted rw, even micheyev spent the entirety of his career outside the nhl as a rw (most Russians seem to play off wing it seems). Robertson and now Hallander as natural lw is awesome to add to the pipeline

The Leafs have too many wingers and not enough centre depth in the organization, so it would great if he could play centre. I think he slots in higher than Brooks now in the depth chart.

Reactions: Funk21

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad