Recalled/Assigned: Filip Chytil to AHL

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
No, he really doesn't. The kid was terrible. He looked lost out there. He can now go to the AHL with a little bit less pressure and get comfortable playing top end minutes against good competition. Keeping him for one more game would do nothing but hurt his confidence. Playing him 15 minutes a night does no good for the team either. This isn't as simple as a youngster going through growing pains like DeAngelo. ADA doesn't look out of place at the NHL level. Chytil was absolutely TERRIBLE.

Couldn't have said it any better. Spot on!!!

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
I didn't think he got enough of a chance with ice time. Just my .02. On the other hand, I haven't been able to see any games so I am clueless. Just looking at facts here. :(

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
It could be worse, he could have actually looked good and scored a goal, but still got scratched and sent down which seemed like the plan from the outset. He was not given much of a leash. I would have liked to have seen him get at least 3-4 games with a reasonable amount of ice-time, but I don't think it would have changed much. At least it is the AHL, there is still some hope he could be back.

hardclimate

Jan 7, 2015
The kid just turned 18 and his first regular season game was with 19,600+ rabid Leaf fans roaring at every play - that could unsettle any rookie. Rangers also have the option of letting him play major junior with kids his own age.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
If more of the roster had any clue what they were doing defensively, and they could have sheltered the rookie, I think things turn out a little different.

Perhaps messing around in preseason and also trying to insert a rookie for the opener, instead of just making choices early on and setting the roster so they could actually practice and play with the whole roster to get the team to play some defense would have been a better plan.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The WolfPack should have beat Charlotte in their first game, but gave up 3 goals in the last 10 minutes to lose the game by 1 goal. Charlotte is a very good AHL team.

We just beat Lehigh Valley, who was a Playoff team last year.

Nell looked great last game.

Nell was also really happy with how our Dmen played last game. Said they did a hell of a job keeping the shots outside and giving him a good view of the puck. Our Top 4 in Hartford is pretty damn solid.

Yeah, we had a bad pre-season, but I like our start and think things may be looking up for Hartford. Might not be such a depressing place to play this season.

It is an inexperienced group of defensemen though. OTOH Graves has gotten better and Pionk is a really good player and Bereglazov if he gets acclimated it could be a really good group. We're a lot deeper at forward too. If the goaltending holds up we could be a playoff team.

Reactions: Revel

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Interesting. I had a strong feeling he'd be sent home if he wasn't on the NHL team. This is good, however, as he can adjust to the language, culture, ice size and tempo of the game over here. Also, Hartford can really use another talented forward.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I didn't think he got enough of a chance with ice time. Just my .02. On the other hand, I haven't been able to see any games so I am clueless. Just looking at facts here. :(

I'd be inclined to agree. He got so few minutes it's ridiculous to say he looked "terrible". The entire team looked terrible and overwhelmed. The NHL may not be his spot this year but some people have some very strong opinions about him based on extremely small viewings...

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
I thought it was a mistake to keep him around after camp anyway. The draft scouts will have seen him a lot but the main coaching staff knew hardly anything about the kid and made the decision based purely on limited viewing of him in camp and preseason games which are a completely different beast to actual NHL hockey. IMO a player needs to both have proven themselves playing competitively at other levels first and then have a good camp as the final icing on the cake to prove they're ready and make the NHL. Chytil had not really proven himself prior to the draft that he was NHL ready.

Probably a good thing he is going to Hartford and not back to Czech though.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
If more of the roster had any clue what they were doing defensively, and they could have sheltered the rookie, I think things turn out a little different.

Perhaps messing around in preseason and also trying to insert a rookie for the opener, instead of just making choices early on and setting the roster so they could actually practice and play with the whole roster to get the team to play some defense would have been a better plan.

I like AV but this preseason was mostly a waste of time. I understand that it’s a lonnnnng season and AV wants to keep his guys as fresh as possible. So I’m the preseason he doesn’t push them in games that mean nothing. But on the other hand, indeed, the team doesn’t come out of the gate well and a guy like Chytil doesn’t get as good a shot as he could have gotten. But it’s also likely, in terms of the big picture, it pays off down the road. But I would like to see Chytil get a better shot. Otherwise it seems kind of a sloppy waste.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I don't really like or dislike AV in general, specific stuff he does drives me crazy, other specific stuff he does makes me defend him when I don't really want to because of the other stuff he did that I disliked, it's a lose lose.

When he is trying to develop players, sometimes even by scratching them I get it. When he is doing the opposite by playing the vet should play no matter what card it drives me crazy.

Pick a direction, but that's the same gripe I have with management. Is the priority to develop, transition or is it to win right now? Changing what they are up to depending on how a season is going just makes me feel like they don't really have a good handle on where this team is.

Concerning Chytil its a tough situation, he made the team by being one of the better offensive players, but putting him on a team that has no direction in their defensive coverage, likely because they have some new defenders, and really did not have a great defensive direction even before...

I don't know, rather than ramble on I would have liked to see them put the kid on a position to succeed, which they did by playing him briefly with Zucc and Nash, but they also put him in a position to be benched for large portions of the games by not having a team wide plan on how to defend.

Last edited:

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Moves like this are annoying because it paints a picture that show Chytil as part of the problem for the 0-2 start, which we all know is BS. Does he get sent down if they went 2-0 or 1-1 or 1-0-1?

I'd give the kid one more chance to see how he responds.
This is where I come out as well. For crying out loud, if you liked him well enough in camp to have him open the season with the club, you need to give him more than ~10 minutes spread over two games to get acclimated and show what he can do – especially considering that his first two games were the home openers at MSG and Maple Leaf Gardens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad