Player Discussion Filip Chytil: Part II (Chytil to miss rest of 2023-24 Season)

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I’m guessing that Chytil’s second injury wasn’t as bad as originally feared and he has been working back into shape for a few weeks. Once the Rangers passed the trade deadline with Chytil on LTIR, there was no financial path to bring him back before the playoffs. They used the time intelligently to let him get into shape and didn’t show their hand until the week before the playoffs. Pretty well thought out. I believe that if there was a lingering issue, he wouldn’t be practicing or potentially playing.
I wonder if the setback was more of a scare than a huge issue but obviously even a scare is enough to get them to pull back on the timeline and say "nah you need to sit until the seasons over and then we'll see where things are at "

Was the season ending injury ever disclosed? Or did all the journalists just assume it was head related

I think we had some "sources confirm..." stuff from the beat writers. Usually those sources are just employees that work for the Rangers and probably have the OK to put stuff out more or less.

Reactions: bobbop

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
One of many, which was my point.
I think all “mini-decisions” fall under the umbrella of these two: e.g. if Chytil complains about symptoms - he won’t be cleared, if he’s playing tentatively or otherwise shows that he’s not in game shape - Laviolette won’t insert him in the lineup.

Reactions: bhamill

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I disagree with some of you on how Laviolette will proceed with reinserting Chytil. If he passes full contact practices test - IMO he will be in the lineup from game 1. The Rangers have a significant built-in advantage over Caps so it’s a pretty good opportunity for Chytil to get himself closer to (playoffs) game shape without being too much of a detriment, so when / if time comes to face second round opponent - Chytil will be as close to the top of his form as possible.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Something to consider is Chytil being in game shape. Laviolette is not going to play 2 forwards who he doesn’t trust to play a full complement of minutes in a playoff game imo. Chytil’s conditioning will probably dictate when he plays.
I’ve got to assume he was working out… I doubt he’d be fully practicing if he wasn’t in full game shape.

Reactions: McRanger92

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Something to consider is Chytil being in game shape. Laviolette is not going to play 2 forwards who he doesn’t trust to play a full complement of minutes in a playoff game imo. Chytil’s conditioning will probably dictate when he plays.
Tomorrow is a big day regarding Chytil. If he skates on a line, it's happening. If he just partakes in drills but no rushes, he's probably not starting the series.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Considering Lavi reads the board (put Miller and Schneider back together, took out Brodz for Rempe) I expect to see Chytil as 1st line RW Sunday.
I doubt it… he’s a center. He’s always been a center here. Stamina/conditioning is also a huge factor… being in shape and game ready are 2 different things especially since everything is a bit faster/more precise in the postseason….

Washington should be a good tune up round for him at 3C tbh.
He’ll get chemistry/time with Cuylle, he already has shown chemistry with Kakko and he likely won’t be in the top 6 which gets the brunt of the minutes or a lot of time against opposing teams top 4 D……

The question then becomes what does Lavi do???
Does he make 4th line a shutdown/matchup line
Goodrow-Wennberg-Vesey????
Does his shift Wennberg to 1RW and sit Roslovic?
Does he start Rempe to keep Wilson honest?
If so, that line will likely get 6 min or less of playing time even strength.
Goodrow/vesey will get more because of PK….

chytil coming back and playing well gives this team a whole lot more options.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here

Thats good news if you are hoping Chytil will be in this series.

Because putting two and two together - hes a full participant - hes cleared - hes doing battle/contact drills

If they werent planning on playing him at any point it would be easy just to come out and say it.

They are leaving the door open. I think we'll definitely see him this series, depending on how things go in the series and with his response to the practices.

We used that LTIR money to add Roslovic and Wennberg. Not exactly big upgrades, and nothing compared to what Vegas has done the last 2 years. If people want to cry about it, they can, but I don't think the NHL is that petty that they would change the rule simply because we took advantage of it. Of course, if they change the rule, people will claim it was because of the Rangers even if it wasn't.
They actually did more cap gymnastics to squeeze in Kane last year.

If Chytil winds up playing its more of happy accident than a contrived move.

And honestly well never know one way or another, its all speculation.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I disagree with some of you on how Laviolette will proceed with reinserting Chytil. If he passes full contact practices test - IMO he will be in the lineup from game 1. The Rangers have a significant built-in advantage over Caps so it’s a pretty good opportunity for Chytil to get himself closer to (playoffs) game shape without being too much of a detriment, so when / if time comes to face second round opponent - Chytil will be as close to the top of his form as possible.
Thats a good point.

Well see I guess.

I will say we werent shocked, but kinda surprised at how abruptly Lindgren came back. Fox suddenly appeared off the knee injury and was in after a couple of practices. Kakko came back a little sooner than expected and it was the same thing.

This team holds the lid tight on these things. For all we know Chytil could have been skating on his own for weeks but the press never saw it (or were told not to talk about it).

From the clips we've seen it sure doesnt look like this is his first week on the ice since the "setback"

Last edited:

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
I don't care where he's actually at I just want to post this to the possibility of him returning before all is said and done this year...
giphy.gif

Reactions: Chytilmania

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Again i'm not sure what the possibility is that he's ready to play...

BUT

even though i like Wennberg a pretty good amount.

Cuylle Chytil Kakko

is a real shit 3rd line. Big tough and can forecheck and score.

That would be such a massive add to our depth.

Plus Goodrow Wennberg Vesey is a very good matchup line

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Yeah I think as long as he's practicing hard and looks ready to go then he's gonna be in...for who though? I dunno...maybe at the expense of Rempe/Brodz but the upside of Rempe in the lineup is the physical factor and hype factor. I can't quite see them just sitting Wennberg but you never know.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Yeah I think as long as he's practicing hard and looks ready to go then he's gonna be in...for who though? I dunno...maybe at the expense of Rempe/Brodz but the upside of Rempe in the lineup is the physical factor and hype factor. I can't quite see them just sitting Wennberg but you never know.
I’d scratch Roslovic if Chytil’s gonna play RW with Kreider/Zibanejad, or drop Wennberg to the 4th line and put Chytil between Cuylle & Kakko, and scratch Vesey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad