Post-Game Talk: Figures, Jets lose in OT 4-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
6 points is not "nothing" with 30 games left. 6 points is huge with only 30 games left. There's a reason why most teams that aren't in a PO spot at American Thanksgiving don't end up making the playoffs. Gaining ground on teams in a league with loser points for tie games is incredibly difficult. The Jet's aren't mathematically out of it yet. But it will be a miracle if they somehow claw their way in.

They've got the Rangers and Lightning over the next 2. Maybe the Rangers will take pity and give their Hart caliber goalie a break.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I think this is a bit of a meme. Getting a few 2nds and 3rds that might get us a mid or bottom player or two 3 years down the road isn't going to materially change our fortunes.

Obviously you need to see where we are at the tdl but if we have no shot of course you try to get some assets. However, a guy like Statsny was free and he's likely only going to fetch a 3rd which isn't a guaranteed player. Copp I think you have to move because he's not coming back and he'll probably get us a 2nd. Dillon and Schmidt have term so you could keep them, but you have to decide if you're going to go young on the back end which may mean another year of no playoffs while your core gets older.

We're really in no means land as an org right now - but we know for sure what we have isn't working.
Stas is unlikely to come back next year so a 3rd is better than a kick in the pants at least in my opinion based on his politics.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
The Jets can't stay status quo going into next year or they will have the same results, I'm not saying total rebuild but some hard moves have to be made and they really need to look at the guys who are the supposed leaders on this team. In the short term by the deadline moving Copp, Stastny and Schmidt would be a good start, off season needs to bring in a new coaching staff and maybe a blockbuster and then they can start to go in the right direction.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Well it's consistency for me. Had they played like they did tonight most of the year they would be a playoff team.

Also 9-13 seems to be our sweet spot drafting wise. Trouba, Ehlers, Perfetti, JoMo is a pretty nice collection from that area of the draft.

It’s interesting because I hear almost all fan bases complain about this. I think most teams are inconsistent from night to night.

Reactions: AlphaLackey

Pandemonia

Aug 30, 2020
Ehlers should be out first on every PP we have. Easily our best.

Best at what?

I love Ehlers but right now he's the best bet we have to fall down.

I'm too lazy to rewind the PVR but it looked like Ehlers fell down six times without anyone contacting him.

There's no point in moving so fast that you can't keep your skates under you.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Got Jason Robertson'd, who was selected 15 spots after Ves and 4 spots before Dylan Samberg

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It’s interesting because I hear almost all fan bases complain about this. I think most teams are inconsistent from night to night.

Yes its hard to maintain a high level all season. The good teams bring it more regularly and have the talent to get through when they aren't at their best.

Our finishing has really let us down this year.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Best at what?

I'm too lazy to rewind the PVR but it looked like Ehlers fell down six times without anyone contacting him.

I think he had a great game darting and weaving. Creating opportunities but his falling over his skates did lead to their second goal.
His beautiful slap pass did create our 1st and almost created another for Copp.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB

There's been kind of a macho narrative woven that winning is a matter of sheer force of will, that there's no such thing as variance in pro athletics. Being "inconsistent" is seen as some sort of failure of character, rather than the simple fact that breaks come and breaks go. Like you said, there's a reason this complaint spans all fanbases and across all sports too.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
There's been kind of a macho narrative woven that winning is a matter of sheer force of will, that there's no such thing as variance in pro athletics. Being "inconsistent" is seen as some sort of failure of character, rather than the simple fact that breaks come and breaks go. Like you said, there's a reason this complaint spans all fanbases and across all sports too.
Talking about inconsistent, as many goals as KFC has he had so many opportunities last night and shots that if he was more "consistent" he should have had another handful of goals.
Also, Lowry scores 2 in previous games and last night he had a number of breakaways short handed that he just couldn't finish.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I think its more that the m2m scheme they run pulls everyone all over the place in the dzone and due that we often don't have numbers back defending the house. Its easy to get to the front of the net when the team you are playing doesn't have bodies back defending. I think clearing the crease would be more effective with a box plus 1 scheme where you always have that box shielding your net and preventing players from getting in.

The game today the goal was on an isolated 1 on 1 battle where their player committed and infraction and got away with it.

I'm at the point now where we have seen a number of personnel changes and our defensive metrics still stink. I'm looking at the system now before I make any additional changes

Agree absolutely. We now have big D, small and quick D, D who are happy to have pucks bounce off them all night long, at least 2 D who can play a transition game and at least 2 D with some snap and growl. Conclusion: it ain't the D.

What we still don't have is a D scheme that is built around the players we actually have, and too many costly breakdowns in the zone and on the way out, and we still have player-sized gaps regularly between the D and FW and too few passing options when the zone needs to be cleared.

Conclusion: it ain't the D personnel, although IMO Beaulieu should never play another game for the Jets. We don't need more crease-clearing D; we need to move abandon whatever this hybrid system is that still remains from The Mo Years, and we need to be much more quick and decisive in working those options. And we also need to train our incoming forwards to play defence when the play is beside and behind them, as well as when it's front of them. Too late for 55 et al, but not for the young 'uns, hopefully.

This game was there for the taking. Played well, had some lousy luck and reffing, but they need the clean 2 points and didn't get. Given the upcoming stretch I think these lost points over the Dallas games may turn out to be one of those pivots in which a season is won or lost.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I just don't know what to think about that game. Dallas had what 4 or 5 quality chances and scored on 4 of them.

I thought overall we played well. The Scheif line wasn't good early but got better. Felt we had some depth with Ehlers back.

We just couldn't put them away earlier and they hung around.

Dallas easily could have had 5 more calls against them but the refs were in game management mode at that point. The Last goal was a joke of a non call but whatever.

Got to win out this week

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
The teams problems with defending their own defensive zone, and with generating good scoring chances in the offensive zone, are both directly related to coaching philosophy imo.

They really struggle with defending against opponents who use a lot of player rotation and motion when attacking us. We have discussed the chaos that results when they try to defend attacks utilizing m2m coverages( players pulled out of position; difficulty starting any defensive zone breakouts;etc)

But they also struggle with generating good scoring chances, both 5v5 and when on the PP, because they refuse to incorporate player rotation and motion into their own attacks. The players primarily stay in predictable, static positions, with no means to pull defenders out of position and break down defensive structure. As a consequence, our puck movement itself is rather easily contained to the perimeter and low-danger shots.

Jetland162702

Pup-peroni Junkie
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
I thought the Jets were pretty flat for 2 periods last night. They decided to play in the third and really had the upper hand on Dallas. But then a questionable goal and its off to OT and, well, we all know what that means.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
On a positive note Austin Poganski cleared waivers. We really dodged a bullet there.:D

Like you, I was glued to that waiver wire.

Forget the front office, coaching and the draft. Moar Poganski will save this team.

TGFE at least Man was it nice to see him skating last night.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Best at what?

Ehlers is such a disgusting little diver I wouldn't be surprised if some of these were attempts at drawing a penalty. Maybe these "falls" were in the back of the ref's mind when that potentially game-changing cross check wasn't called. As ye sow, so shall ye reap.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
wtf does this even mean, of course were not going to take 2 spots, It's that there is 2 available now when it looked like only 1 was gonna be up for grabs, I'd rather trade copp for a player like debrusk then get a late 1st if we can even get a late 1st

You said, "two weeks ago it looked like it was only one wc spot available now look" as thought there had been some sort of progress. Two spots being equally out of reach instead of one out of reach and another even further out of reach is not progress.

I'm not sure DeBrusk helps us. He is a pending RFA with a high QO (4.85 mil) and arb eligible. He can be a UFA in 2 more years, if not signed long term. He has never produced at a level that would justify a nearly 5 mil AAV. I don't think we could afford his contract next year. At least not easily, unless we move out some cap hit from our D corps.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I did not know they used up their quota so soon, and I tank you for the insight Mort.

:laugh: Consistency in hockey is an elusive thing. The PP has a good game one day and a bad game the next. It averages out. It was unproductive against Dallas, though they got quite a few shots on a couple of the PP.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think this is a bit of a meme. Getting a few 2nds and 3rds that might get us a mid or bottom player or two 3 years down the road isn't going to materially change our fortunes.

Obviously you need to see where we are at the tdl but if we have no shot of course you try to get some assets. However, a guy like Statsny was free and he's likely only going to fetch a 3rd which isn't a guaranteed player. Copp I think you have to move because he's not coming back and he'll probably get us a 2nd. Dillon and Schmidt have term so you could keep them, but you have to decide if you're going to go young on the back end which may mean another year of no playoffs while your core gets older.

We're really in no means land as an org right now - but we know for sure what we have isn't working.

I think your estimated returns are a little pessimistic but all we can do is guess. But every little bit helps. Maybe the 2nd we get for Copp will turn out to finally be the hit we are due from a 2nd rd pick. Jason Robertson was a 2nd not so long ago. Or picks can be traded. They can be bundled with other assets to boost the value of a return.

Almost all of the players in the league come through the draft. They don't all come in the first 10-15 picks.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Ehlers is such a disgusting little diver I wouldn't be surprised if some of these were attempts at drawing a penalty. Maybe these "falls" were in the back of the ref's mind when that potentially game-changing cross check wasn't called. As ye sow, so shall ye reap.
yes, you are right... the ref let the blatant cross check go because ehlers fell...

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I guess you're right, Ehlers and DeMelo definitely look alike so I can see how the ref made that mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad