Post-Game Talk: Figures, Jets lose in OT 4-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
idk about the conclusion that they have a top-10 farm. but two players that usually catch my eye when watching or reading up on this team. Jason Robertson and Roope Hintz - both 2nd rd picks. Whether it be luck, developing, scouting... whatever it is, wish we could nab players that can put up 51 pts/46 gp or 45 pts/52 pts in the 2nd (or later) rounds.

It's subjective, but of the publications I have read, Dallas ranks inside the top-10 for farm systems. Nill's suspect drafting in his early years appears to be a thing of the past.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
Watch where Robertson and Wheezer are when the race for the puck starts. They start dead even near the top of the circle in the Stars zone. Somehow, Robertson has Wheezer by 10 feet after a couple seconds.

This after Robertson has been on the ice for a full minute longer than Wheezer.

So Wheezer is either lacking stamina now, just too slow or both.

When there is so much open ice in OT, he is not the guy that should be out there. There was a time, when yes. But no longer
The simple answer for why Robertson got such a head start on Wheeler was because he (Robertson) was late coming back into the defensive zone and when the play unfolded it allowed him to make a bigger loop and kept more momentum where as Wheeler came much closer to a stop and start.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
It's subjective, but of the publications I have read, Dallas ranks inside the top-10 for farm systems. Nill's suspect drafting in his early years appears to be a thing of the past.
ok you might be right, like i said i'm just not sure about that conclusion. i haven't followed that team's prospects and/or drafting in recent years. but it wouldn't surprise me if they surpassed the Jets. The Jets have had guys graduate to the show while their later round drafting in recent years continues to be quite underwhelming.

AlaskaJet

Retrieves pucks and ducks
Sep 29, 2017
Olympia, Washington (from Ft. Garry)
Robertson...

The Jets...

Somewhere down the crazy river...

tumblr_n1jevbMAjT1t3u3yxo1_500.gif
We’ll just keep paddling hard against all waves and currents while junk goes the other way..

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I wouldn't put them anywhere near the top 10 myself. They had a great 2017 draft but I don't see much in their system that I'm overly excited about. Bourque, Harley, and Stankoven are good prospects but I don't see anything that looks to be a Marque piece.

I'd certainly take our top prospects over theirs fairly easily.

Reactions: Ducky10

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
The simple answer for why Robertson got such a head start on Wheeler was because he (Robertson) was late coming back into the defensive zone and when the play unfolded it allowed him to make a bigger loop and kept more momentum where as Wheeler came much closer to a stop and start.
Wheels doesn’t have a quick stop /start motion with his skating. If it was KFC defending I have no doubt he had enough motor to catch Robertson.
Then I question Pionk slapper karoom off the boards that started that play. Could have better options there with Robertson slightly behind the play

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Agree absolutely. We now have big D, small and quick D, D who are happy to have pucks bounce off them all night long, at least 2 D who can play a transition game and at least 2 D with some snap and growl. Conclusion: it ain't the D.

What we still don't have is a D scheme that is built around the players we actually have, and too many costly breakdowns in the zone and on the way out, and we still have player-sized gaps regularly between the D and FW and too few passing options when the zone needs to be cleared.

Conclusion: it ain't the D personnel, although IMO Beaulieu should never play another game for the Jets. We don't need more crease-clearing D; we need to move abandon whatever this hybrid system is that still remains from The Mo Years, and we need to be much more quick and decisive in working those options. And we also need to train our incoming forwards to play defence when the play is beside and behind them, as well as when it's front of them. Too late for 55 et al, but not for the young 'uns, hopefully.

This game was there for the taking. Played well, had some lousy luck and reffing, but they need the clean 2 points and didn't get. Given the upcoming stretch I think these lost points over the Dallas games may turn out to be one of those pivots in which a season is won or lost.
Yeah I'd say we have a really good blend of skill and size. Not a top 5 d but I'd say solid upper middle.

Our players work hard in our own zone but the scheme just doesn't work.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I wouldn't put them anywhere near the top 10 myself. They had a great 2017 draft but I don't see much in their system that I'm overly excited about. Bourque, Harley, and Stankoven are good prospects but I don't see anything that looks to be a Marque piece.

I'd certainly take our top prospects over theirs fairly easily.
Ditto, I think the Jets have more potential impact in their system.

Reactions: MardyBum

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
[

Good points -
But I don't think anyone was stating we should sacrifice skill for size - in fact, the ask was for more size with skill.
And it sounds like you agree that some size with skill would be a plus - I agree
No offense but that’s a fairly obvious want, no? Is there a team in the NHL that doesn’t want the best combination of size and skill. In a perfect world that’s what anyone ideally wants.
But even in wanting as many of those unicorns as possible, it doesn’t come from a desire to have them clear the front of the net. I’m not convinced that’s the Jets issue and even if you had them, they are still exposed by the system the Jets run. Dillon and Stanley are both big enough to clean house in the crease, they don’t do it a lot in my view. From a pure physicality perspective Chiarot did more than either of them. I don’t think bringing him back furthers the Jets fortunes.

Figuring out the best way to run the talent you have is the key. The Jets don’t do that.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Ehlers should be out first on every PP we have. Easily our best.

Agree with this, and Ehlers should be playing the point on the 1st power play. He has a hard accurate shot, and can rush the net, if a lane opens. Also he's fast enough to not get caught on an odd man breakout.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
We were pretty good in OT when Mo put 3 forwards out there.

I wouldn't mind going back to that.
I just remember Scheif, Wheeler and Buff being trotted out to start every single OT and totally exhausted from massive minutes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad