FIFA Officials Arrested on Corruption Charges; Sepp Blatter Quits

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Well to be fair I think Ireland at least deserved to replay that match from the handball forward. Its not as if it was a judgement call that screwed them, just pure ****uppery.

But the bribe/payoff....the gift that keeps on giving this scandal!

You mean we should replay every game where a non qualified team (because IRELAND WASN'T EVEN THROUGH WHEN THE GOAL HAPPENNED) suffers a missed call?

Good luck with the calendar.

Besides, I wonder if Ireland game compensation to the team they screwed a few weeks before on another ref mistake, which made them be in a playoff position?

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
You mean we should replay every game where a non qualified team (because IRELAND WASN'T EVEN THROUGH WHEN THE GOAL HAPPENNED) suffers a missed call?

Good luck with the calendar.

Besides, I wonder if Ireland game compensation to the team they screwed a few weeks before on another ref mistake, which made them be in a playoff position?

Of course Ireland wasnt through. They were robbed of 30 extra minutes and PK to do so.

But I guess France received its comeuppance when they arrived in South Africa anyway.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Of course Ireland wasnt through. They were robbed of 30 extra minutes and PK to do so.

But I guess France received its comeuppance when they arrived in South Africa anyway.
:biglaugh:

Robbed of what? 30 minutes?
lol.
You do realize the goal was scored in OT?
That if Ireland had scored at any point during the 120 minutes of football, they would have been through?
So the only thing Ireland was robbed of in that game was the PK. Hardly a certainty.

In the mean time, Ireland STOLE their spot in the playoffs by scoring a penalty in Georgia, which was OBVIOUSLY a bribe seeing how no ref in the world would have given a penalty there (not a foul and offside).
Evven Roy Keane said it was the worst penalty decision he had ever witnessed.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I don't see anything particularly wrong with the Ireland situation, other than the fact the Irish FA are a bunch of pathetic crybabies. As long as that money was used by the FA in appropriate business, and not touching personal bank accounts, then it's understandable that they seen it as an out of court settlement.

Should the France-Ireland game have been replayed? No :laugh:

Should FIFA have paid the Irish FA to make this go away? Yes, they probably should have.

The situation isn't as black & white as most. Bad decisions happen in qualifying, but good teams should be able to overcome those in the course of 10+ games. A playoff, where the stakes are so high, is a bit different. If the Irish FA pushes the situation, and get a favourable outcome, then that is a disaster for FIFA. Paying them a chunk of the financial loss that the decision potentially cost them is a fair midway in that scenario. Keeping that private is also perfectly understandable too.

In the mean time, Ireland STOLE their spot in the playoffs by scoring a penalty in Georgia, which was OBVIOUSLY a bribe seeing how no ref in the world would have given a penalty there (not a foul and offside).

:help:

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I don't see anything particularly wrong with the Ireland situation, other than the fact the Irish FA are a bunch of pathetic crybabies. As long as that money was used by the FA in appropriate business, and not touching personal bank accounts, then it's understandable that they seen it as an out of court settlement.

Should the France-Ireland game have been replayed? No :laugh:

Should FIFA have paid the Irish FA to make this go away? Yes, they probably should have.

The situation isn't as black & white as most. Bad decisions happen in qualifying, but good teams should be able to overcome those in the course of 10+ games. A playoff, where the stakes are so high, is a bit different. If the Irish FA pushes the situation, and get a favourable outcome, then that is a disaster for FIFA. Paying them a chunk of the financial loss that the decision potentially cost them is a fair midway in that scenario. Keeping that private is also perfectly understandable too.

:help:

Yes because every other FA would have handled it so wonderfully. They'd all have turned the other cheek cause it's just part of the game. Definitely.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Well people are always looking for bribary potential situations, this has got to be one of the most obvious ones.
Home game, home team down, the ref calls a penalty no human being would have called.

Sounds like you're thinking with a "guilty until proven innocent" mindset.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Sounds like you're thinking with a "guilty until proven innocent" mindset.
Nah I'm just teasing.
People here and in the english media have whined to no end for that handball, while ignoring ridiculous situations like this one.
You can't have it both ways.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
HOLY **** :amazed:

Via the Daily Mail said:
The German government sent a shipment of rocket-propelled grenades to Saudi Arabia in order to secure support for their bid to host the 2006 World Cup, according to the latest sensational claims in the FIFA scandal.

German newspaper Die Zeit say the country's Football Association arranged for then-Chancellor Gerhard Schroder's administration to supply the arms in order to swing the Saudi vote from Morocco to Germany ahead of the vote in 2000.

It helped tip the knife-edge vote in Germany's favor as they defeated South Africa 12-11 in the final round and duly hosted the World Cup finals six years later.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You don't understand shock at the possibility of a country sending weapons to another to secure votes for hosting a sporting event?

I genuinely don't. It's not like Saudi Arabia doesn't purchase massive weapons shipments from most western nations every year. This isn't some sanctioned rogue-state desperate for weapons to continue fighting the west. So I don't see what the difference between sending their bribe in the form of a shipment of RPGs instead of a Picasso is? Both are expensive "gifts" sent blatantly to secure a vote.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I genuinely don't. It's not like Saudi Arabia doesn't purchase massive weapons shipments from most western nations every year. This isn't some sanctioned rogue-state desperate for weapons to continue fighting the west. So I don't see what the difference between sending their bribe in the form of a shipment of RPGs instead of a Picasso is? Both are expensive "gifts" sent blatantly to secure a vote.

Here's the difference: One is artwork, the other is A ****ING ROCKET PROPELLED GRENADE. If FA's have gotten to the point of trading weaponry for votes, that's ****ed up. If these reports are true, that adds a whole other element. Using priceless artwork to buy votes is bad. Using weapons that could be used to kill people, given to a government that has become notorious for under the table arms deals with the US and other western nations, is quite clearly a major problem.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Here's the difference: One is artwork, the other is A ****ING ROCKET PROPELLED GRENADE. If FA's have gotten to the point of trading weaponry for votes, that's ****ed up. If these reports are true, that adds a whole other element. Using priceless artwork to buy votes is bad. Using weapons that could be used to kill people, given to a government that has become notorious for under the table arms deals with the US and other western nations, is quite clearly a major problem.

Rocket propelled grenades that they buy from nations like the USA and UK every year. Yes killing is bad, but they are sold tools of death all the damn time. It is just another product that gets imported that western economies rely on continuing to be exported.

The cultural impacts of a priceless work of art are much more significant than sending them something they're already buying in bulk and that they are free to buy anyway.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Rocket propelled grenades that they buy from nations like the USA and UK every year. Yes killing is bad, but they are sold tools of death all the damn time. It is just another product that gets imported that western economies rely on continuing to be exported.

The cultural impacts of a priceless work of art are much more significant than sending them something they're already buying in bulk and that they are free to buy anyway.

I disagree. Bulk of weapons need to be documented. Black market weapons dealing means that there is weaponry in circulation that is undocumented. That's a problem, and the fact that its being used for a single world cup vote is indicative of a pretty major issue. A bribe with a Picasso is obviously a problem, but it's not an undocumented weapon with the potential to circulate further on a nations black market. That's where the difference lies.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Cannon was a pretty good tv-series for its' time, I used to watch it with my grandpa. :)

Hard to think cannons bought by the state of Saudi-Arabia end up in the black market instead of their military.

Still not confident that much will be done about the corruption in FIFA despite all this. Havelange was By all accounts even more corrupt than Blatter, so it's been going on since the 1970's at least.

I have little faith in any true reform, since most FIFA member countries and their representatives are equally or even more corrupt at their home countries.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
That's pretty bad, but I still think Jack Warner wins the dumb ass award by a long shot :laugh:

I thought he won that by default after mentioning an Onion article as to why the US shouldn't complain about losing the World Cup to Qatar when they'd be getting the 2015 Men's World Cup.

Anyway, that guns for votes deal really is ****ed up.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000

They basically are an insane sanctioned rouge state....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad