FHM 9

stahl

Mar 26, 2011
Do you know if the playoff stats have been corrected in this version. Still not fixed in 8:

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Amazing! Is there a reference that outlines all the games features? I unfortunately have not been following the last several months.

I'm particularly curious about how customizable historical mode is these days? (e.g., I'm keen on a historical save that starts right after the 93-94 season with no lockout and four new expansion teams, so setting up an expansion draft, etc.)

Reactions: CasusBelli

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Preliminary impressions? Bought it but won’t get a chance to play til Friday.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I just started a career in the NCAA (with the Cattamounts). Signing day went well, probably TOO well -- got these two guys on free scholarships in Round 7 and 12 (!!!) respectively. There were probably too many good players for the Signing Day, though teams were signing worse players than those two by round 4 (probably as expected -- Ramsay was committed to my team, but Bono wasn't, and he could be 2.5 Stars by the time he starts his Freshman Year.
Bono.jpg

Ramsay.jpg

On the other hand, I litterally can't get anyone to commit by Round 5 of Committment Day.

Last edited:

Duff88

May 7, 2002
Bought it to encourage the developpers as an avid EHM fan who had never really connected to FHM yet. I figured it was good to show there is still a market for those games.

I was not expecting to spend much time with it, but it has been incredible fun so far. A big surprise. The UI took some getting used to, but I have started to figure how to get where I want with fewer clicks.

So 11 hours in three days and 3 season into my Habs dynasty, it is a big thumbs up from me!

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
Amazing! Is there a reference that outlines all the games features? I unfortunately have not been following the last several months.

I'm particularly curious about how customizable historical mode is these days? (e.g., I'm keen on a historical save that starts right after the 93-94 season with no lockout and four new expansion teams, so setting up an expansion draft, etc.)
Both our Forums and our Reddit have a longer list.

But to answer your question; Historical over the past couple years has become more and more editable so you can do what you want. You can do all that, customize your expansion draft, etc, but you'd need to redo the schedule for the season as it would use the post January lockout schedule.
Bought it to encourage the developers as an avid EHM fan who had never really connected to FHM yet. I figured it was good to show there is still a market for those games.

I was not expecting to spend much time with it, but it has been incredible fun so far. A big surprise. The UI took some getting used to, but I have started to figure how to get where I want with fewer clicks.

So 11 hours in three days and 3 season into my Habs dynasty, it is a big thumbs up from me!

We appreciate your support. Make sure to use the quick options on the right side for some ease of navigation and don't forget to check out the manual for some helpful tips.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Staff regen or new staff are (still) created with Job Ratings of 0, and these job ratings can't be edited, so these are completely useless (at least as far as scouting is concerned, not sure for other mechanics)

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
FHM7 Online League Manager Opening

SHF is an active online multi player league that started with the 2021-21 season. Florida ('21) and Minnesota ('22) won our first two championships. Our commish is solid and runs the league extremely well and we have had very little turn-over. In fact, this is the first time we have an opening in 2+ seasons. We're currently in Dec 2022 in the game.

The Chicago Blackhawks are open and have top end talent like Jack Eichel, Mikhail Sergachev, and Kirby Dach.

We're looking for an experienced FHM GM who is active and knows what they're doing.

The league runs on discord. Send a PM to: Georgian Bay Giants (Steve)#8298 introducing yourself and letting us know your experience running a FHM franchise.

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
Staff regen or new staff are (still) created with Job Ratings of 0, and these job ratings can't be edited, so these are completely useless (at least as far as scouting is concerned, not sure for other mechanics)
"We only generate new non-trainer staff as assistants and then they work their way up by getting other jobs, it'll take a long time for the staff pool to get to a point where that's a serious problem, right now it's just restricting the staff pool a bit too much. In addition to that, those ratings will improve fairly quickly if the staff are hired, there's a weekly check to see if they increase in whatever the category their current job is in."

However we will address it in a future update.

Reactions: Captain34 and MXD

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
"We only generate new non-trainer staff as assistants and then they work their way up by getting other jobs, it'll take a long time for the staff pool to get to a point where that's a serious problem, right now it's just restricting the staff pool a bit too much. In addition to that, those ratings will improve fairly quickly if the staff are hired, there's a weekly check to see if they increase in whatever the category their current job is in."

However we will address it in a future update.

That makes sense. I guess they should at least have 1.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Issue: Crash in 1970 rookie expansion draft in Historical Mode

Specs: MacOS Ventura 3.0; FHM 9.1.65

Issue 1: Have tried entering the draft, simulating to the next day, and simulating to the end of the week. Have also tried using a new save but no juice. No issue with prior rookie drafts drafts (including ones proceeding an expansion).

Issue 2: "Fog of War" in the World Options hides the Bio tab of a player rather than his attribute ratings, which are in the main / Info tab. (This is unrelated to the first issue.)

@KnightAttack

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
Issue: Crash in 1970 rookie expansion draft in Historical Mode

Specs: MacOS Ventura 3.0; FHM 9.1.65

Issue 1: Have tried entering the draft, simulating to the next day, and simulating to the end of the week. Have also tried using a new save but no juice. No issue with prior rookie drafts drafts (including ones proceeding an expansion).

Issue 2: "Fog of War" in the World Options hides the Bio tab of a player rather than his attribute ratings, which are in the main / Info tab. (This is unrelated to the first issue.)

@KnightAttack
Probably going to need to see the save on that. We can't seem to replicate it.

Reactions: CasusBelli

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Hummm....

My players who have been redshirted are graduating on their Junior year instead of their Senior Year. Which kindsof totally defeat the purpose of redshirting.

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
Probably going to need to see the save on that. We can't seem to replicate it.
Let me know if you need instructions for uploading it.

Hummm....

My players who have been redshirted are graduating on their Junior year instead of their Senior Year. Which kindsof totally defeat the purpose of redshirting.
We are aware of this issue and it'll be fixed in the upcoming update.

Reactions: CasusBelli and MXD

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Humm....
Some of my players saw in increase in scholarship because I ended up losing two full scholarship players prior to graduation (because they were signed to the NHL), and I'm also pretty sure I wasn't maxed out in scholarships in the first place (like I had something like 16.5 on July 1st).

So instead of having 6.5 recruiting scholarships for signing day, I have only 2.

I don't have any screenshots of this (because I simply didn't think about taking one), and I can't log on to OOTPForums.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Tried this out after skipping several versions again.

My thoughts:

- Injury rate is infuriating even if I keep seeing explanations that it is realistic.
- Suspensions are crazy. Players that were never suspended in their careers getting suspended multiple times. In my most recent game Yzerman has been suspended for double digits more than once.. lol..
- the combination of the two things above makes it so much work to play. Yes you can edit or whatever but I don't want to spend more time doing that and I like the challenge modes.

-
contract and trade negotiations are practically impossible
- several times I have been unable to sign players because they are unhappy with their role.. meanwhile I am offering them the role.
- also players unhappy with their role but I don't know how to find out what role they'd like?
- still wayyyy too much clicking around the UI. Why warn me someone is injured and I have to fix my roster and then not take me there when I acknowledge the message???? whyyyyyy
- at times the clique thing is insane.. team chugging along in first place and meanwhile a new clique forms repeatedly and "off ice incidents" happen often.. it seems to snowball at times?

I do love the historic database though. Playing through the Red Wings challenge and even though it completely incorrectly has Yzerman as a two-way player from the get go instead of an offensive juggernaut.. it is super fun to get all nostalgic. I didn't quite make the Pens challenge with Lemieux yet though!

The bones of a really good game are there but it needs a bunch of polish still imo..

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Actually im a little bid disappointed. For a user, who plays mostly NHL, there are very few noticeable improvements. If any. It looks for me more as a NCAA college patch for FHM 8.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
So far, I only really have a few complaints, and they are all fairly minor:

- I don't personally care for the goalie cards on the "Play Game" screen - they don't give me any information, and it used to be a bit easier to immediately tell whether I had won or lost that game (I exclusively sim day-to-day and always sim games). I would like the option to turn those off and revert to the older (FHM6) screen.

- I do still see teams that are letting quality prospects to go free agency, and I find myself manually adding them to their teams. I have not seen NCAA players play all four years in college and go to free agency as a matter of course, which did happen a lot in previous versions, so I can say that I am pleased about that. I suspect teams are unable to offer contracts because they're at their limit, or no longer have budget space available for the current season, though neither should realistically be an issue.

- I'm not sure if it's too easy to draft and develop players right now - I'm not far enough into my game yet - but just a couple of years in, I'm playing 2.5/5.0 prospects in the AHL because I simply don't have enough room for them in the NHL (I'm already playing five forwards, a defenseman, and a goalie on their ELCs, plus two guys on their first standard contracts, and they're all among my best players already).

Maybe this is a temporary fluke, maybe this is me drafting and trading too well to start (and I am spending the max on player development), but I guess I'm just complaining that it's been too easy for me to draft and develop high-quality prospects in this version and the last. It's possible that I should manipulate the percentage of skills derived from stats - I've never messed with this.

- Finally, non-established players coming off their ELCs are demanding too much money. A 22-23 year old player who has never played in the NHL, or has had but a cup of coffee, should not be demanding $1.2 million over three years, regardless of their stars rating. Those players tend to sign 1-2 year deals for league minimum (maybe with a nice boost in AHL salary, of course). Similarly, players who have stuck in the NHL for a bit, but haven't really established themselves yet (say Noah Gregor), typically get more in the $750-950k range. I guess I'd like some kind of check or override that looks at a player's NHL experience when coming off an ELC and overrides their demands to some extent. Again, this is fairly minor - if you're asking for that much and aren't worth starting yet, I let you go and sign someone on the free agent market - but I'd like to keep it closer to reality in this regard automatically.

Overall, I'm having a good time. I'll leave this here:

McDavid.png

What a monstrous season.

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
Humm....
Some of my players saw in increase in scholarship because I ended up losing two full scholarship players prior to graduation (because they were signed to the NHL), and I'm also pretty sure I wasn't maxed out in scholarships in the first place (like I had something like 16.5 on July 1st).

So instead of having 6.5 recruiting scholarships for signing day, I have only 2.

I don't have any screenshots of this (because I simply didn't think about taking one), and I can't log on to OOTPForums.
We will double check this because it shouldn't be possible.

Tried this out after skipping several versions again.

My thoughts:

- Injury rate is infuriating even if I keep seeing explanations that it is realistic.
- Suspensions are crazy. Players that were never suspended in their careers getting suspended multiple times. In my most recent game Yzerman has been suspended for double digits more than once.. lol..
- the combination of the two things above makes it so much work to play. Yes you can edit or whatever but I don't want to spend more time doing that and I like the challenge modes.

-contract and trade negotiations are practically impossible
- several times I have been unable to sign players because they are unhappy with their role.. meanwhile I am offering them the role.
- also players unhappy with their role but I don't know how to find out what role they'd like?
- still wayyyy too much clicking around the UI. Why warn me someone is injured and I have to fix my roster and then not take me there when I acknowledge the message???? whyyyyyy
- at times the clique thing is insane.. team chugging along in first place and meanwhile a new clique forms repeatedly and "off ice incidents" happen often.. it seems to snowball at times?

I do love the historic database though. Playing through the Red Wings challenge and even though it completely incorrectly has Yzerman as a two-way player from the get go instead of an offensive juggernaut.. it is super fun to get all nostalgic. I didn't quite make the Pens challenge with Lemieux yet though!

The bones of a really good game are there but it needs a bunch of polish still imo..
(1) I need some more clarity on Yzerman. That shouldn't be possible - it maxes at around 7 - or what exactly do you mean?
(2) We're adding captain interventions on the Clique thing to help with some of it.
(3) Due to current limitations it's either one or the other - being that Yzerman was more a two way player during the Cup years, it was determined he would be best suited for that.
Actually im a little bid disappointed. For a user, who plays mostly NHL, there are very few noticeable improvements. If any. It looks for me more as a NCAA college patch for FHM 8.
There's a big list on our Forums if you want to check it out. NCAA was definitely a big thing this year; but it certainly wasn't the only thing. And more things are coming as well - including in our update next week.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
We will double check this because it shouldn't be possible.

(1) I need some more clarity on Yzerman. That shouldn't be possible - it maxes at around 7 - or what exactly do you mean?
(2) We're adding captain interventions on the Clique thing to help with some of it.
(3) Due to current limitations it's either one or the other - being that Yzerman was more a two way player during the Cup years, it was determined he would be best suited for that.

There's a big list on our Forums if you want to check it out. NCAA was definitely a big thing this year; but it certainly wasn't the only thing. And more things are coming as well - including in our update next week.

I know, im following forum regularly. I say, what i feel after some seasons played.
Already have a new PC because of it.

Dont take me wrong, game is good, but im missing the wow feeling.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010

yzerman.PNG

He was suspended a couple other times as well.. between the injuries and suspensions he missed a lot of time.. Yzerman isn't the best example because he did miss a fair bit of time to injuries in real life, but in this game he only had 9 times in his 23 year career where he hit 75 games or more.

I get the reasoning on the two-way player thing and we did win 3 cups in a row this game and meet the Detroit historical challenge so that wasn't so bad. ;)

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
View attachment 621814

He was suspended a couple other times as well.. between the injuries and suspensions he missed a lot of time.. Yzerman isn't the best example because he did miss a fair bit of time to injuries in real life, but in this game he only had 9 times in his 23 year career where he hit 75 games or more.

I get the reasoning on the two-way player thing and we did win 3 cups in a row this game and meet the Detroit historical challenge so that wasn't so bad. ;)
That... shouldn't be happening. Can you screenshot his career stats? Need to see that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad