FHL Cape Cod Bluefins relocate to Central New York

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
FHL takes over running Cape Cod franchise.

From press release dated 12/15/12:
Palm Bay, FL - December 15, 2012 - The Federal Hockey League has officially announced the relocation of the Cape Cod Bluefins membership to Central New York effective the 17th of December and renamed the club the New York Bluefins. The team will complete the remaining schedule of the Cape Cod Bluefins 20+ road games as well as selected home games at neutral sites and current Federal Hockey League venues.

The team's ownership has been assumed by the current Federal Hockey League Board of Governors until a new ownership group is in place.

The Bluefins have made the following transactions all for future considerations:
Danville acquires Kevin McCready
Danbury acquires Steve Brown
Williamsport acquires Brian Yanovitch
1000 Islands acquires Jeff Dill
Dayton acquires Jeff Drizis and trades him to Danbury for future considerations

All other Cape Cod players will become Free Agents as of 11:59 tonight.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
So if all other Cape Cod players became free agents as of 12:00 this morning, what players with "Central New York" use to complete Cape Cod's road schedule and the "select" home games?

:shakehead

We had a phrase in the Army for what this league looks like... it's a two-word phrase, and the first word is "cluster." See if you can guess what the second word is...

...and whatever they're paying someone to write the league's press releases, it's too much.

lennysundahl

Dec 21, 2006
Huntington, WV
So if all other Cape Cod players became free agents as of 12:00 this morning, what players with "Central New York" use to complete Cape Cod's road schedule and the "select" home games?
I'm guessing that's where "future considerations" comes in. I imagine the rest of the league basically had a dispersal draft behind closed doors for the best players, and will fill out the roster by the end of the week with third-liners from the other teams and desperate free agents.

Nibbler

May 24, 2011
Ambassador to Earth

:shakehead

We had a phrase in the Army for what this league looks like... it's a two-word phrase, and the first word is "cluster." See if you can guess what the second word is...

...and whatever they're paying someone to write the league's press releases, it's too much.

Anyone remember the Delaware Federals? Maybe we will be seeing that garbage again.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
But there's a big demand for Class-A hockey! Geoff and Kevin Wey say so! This league can't fail! What will we do without a failing glorified beer league for club hockey washouts?

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
As talented as the absolute bottom rung of "professional" hockey players can be...obviously a few (like my fav Rob Sich) are more talented than the rest but, lets call a spade a spade, a lot of FHL players would be out of a job if it weren't for this league. They may seem like out of this world hockey gods to someone with little talent, but in the pro hockey world, they are the dreggs. It is admirable, however, that they are trying to overcome the terrible playing conditions offered by this league to continue their dream and I hope for their sake that something more stable than the FHL can come along and provide for them.

Never said they were "out of this world hockey gods". And, yes, they are the "dreggs", however they still have a ton of talent and are getting paid to play (or at least they are supposed to be). It just goes to show just how good the guys in the NHL and AHL are, let alone the ECHL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sniper45

Jul 29, 2011
Anyone remember the Delaware Federals? Maybe we will be seeing that garbage again.

Yeah, that is exactly what the league is doing. there is no physical location in Central New York for this team. Players will be signed per game prior to the weekend and then released on that Monday morning. They are a road team only, beer leaguers will be signed depending on where the game is being played.

Get ready for some 15-0 scores, 25-0 like last year!

Pathetic...

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
I won’t bash the players, who are trying to live their dream, but the FHL is just a bush league run by completely inept people and it will eventually fail. I actually believe in the concept of single-A hockey and I think it has a place in the northeast for cities that are looking to fill small-sized facilities like Lewiston.

Don Kirnan and Andrew Richards have bungled every decision made by the league and it’s made them look foolish, stupid or rather put a complete bunch of morons.

Just look at this Cape Cod franchise as one example. They placed the team originally in Binghamton, knowing full-well they were going to be crushed by the AHL BSens. When that failed they moved the team midseason to the Cape, playing out of the Rec Center in Hyannis. When that failed they bounced games from rink to rink, playing in front of 20 or 30 people a night to now moving to become a team that’s essentially a road team.

This is the second consecutive year they’ve taken over a franchise.

They tried to move this team to Lewiston and Jim Cain, owner of the Colisee, told them to pound sand because he’d rather have a handful EJHL games and a USPHL team than the FHL. That should tell you everything you need to know.

Look at Vermont’s bungled franchise, the franchise in Akwesasne, which was owned by a known criminal – maybe not so much of a big deal, looking at the NHL history of ownership – and the rumors of player poor player treatment, placing a franchise 1800 miles away from the core of your league in Danville, and now one person owns essentially half the teams in your league – Barry Soskin owns Danville and Dayton and now is footing the bills for the CNY team – who is crooked in his own right.

This of course doesn’t even include the New Jersey team moving to an outdoor rink in Williamsport.

Again, I believe that a version of this league could work if they stayed within their means. It should be a six team league within the northeast US and make those franchises stable and successful before adding teams like Danville, Dayton or other Midwest cities. I’ll point to the SPHL as a good example. They made numerous mistakes, but they stuck with their core principals, staying within the southeast and they’ve now begun to really grown the league into bigger cities than were former ECHL cities.

I have no respect for Kirnan and Richards for screwing this up… And, what’s even more depressing is they are both members of the voting council for USA Hockey. Kirnan owns the Stars organization and is the commissioner of the Empire Jr Hockey League and Richards is commissioner of the Eastern States Hockey League. That’s a thought that continually scares me.

Canadian91

May 8, 2009
Ottawa
Will this league eventually fail? Yes.

However, I hope nobody on here tries to pull an "I told you so" when it does happen. The majority of you were saying the league would fold half way through the first season.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Will this league eventually fail? Yes.

However, I hope nobody on here tries to pull an "I told you so" when it does happen. The majority of you were saying the league would fold half way through the first season.

Here's a pre-emptive strike - I TOLD YOU SO.

This league has been garbage from the get-go. It's garbage hockey, played by garbage players, in garbage rinks, with a garbage business model. In three seasons, we've seen stupefying debacles in Delaware, Hudson Valley, Rome, Akwesasne, Thousand Islands, Vermont, and Broome County. Honestly, this league shouldn't just "eventually fail," it should have never started. But then, I overestimated the stupidity of the proponents of "Single-A" hockey and their willingness to throw money down a rabbit-hole. I overestimated the stupidity of "Single-A" hockey fans, who for some reason, think this is a good product. This league is a joke, and needs to go away.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Single A hockey works if done right, the SPHL is good example of that. I'm sure there is the opportunity in the Northeast, and you can see it in Dayton who didn't work out in AA but is doing well in this league, the Danbury teams in these leagues seem to do ok. If someone could just wise up and say ok, lets take the right apporach to this, they could do something like we have seen the SPHL do.

The SPHL has moved into markets where AA hockey hasn't worked out, Augusta, both Mississippi teams, Louisiana, Pensacola. For those cities the Single A model works.

Dayton didn't work out in AA hockey, but the FHL team seems to be ok so far, and there are other northeastern markets like it that could do well if the right owners and league were to come along.

Unfortunately the FHL did not make the smart decision to make sure their league was set up right.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Single A hockey works if done right, the SPHL is good example of that. I'm sure there is the opportunity in the Northeast, and you can see it in Dayton who didn't work out in AA but is doing well in this league, the Danbury teams in these leagues seem to do ok. If someone could just wise up and say ok, lets take the right apporach to this, they could do something like we have seen the SPHL do.

The SPHL has moved into markets where AA hockey hasn't worked out, Augusta, both Mississippi teams, Louisiana, Pensacola. For those cities the Single A model works.

Dayton didn't work out in AA hockey, but the FHL team seems to be ok so far, and there are other northeastern markets like it that could do well if the right owners and league were to come along.

Unfortunately the FHL did not make the smart decision to make sure their league was set up right.

Maybe the FHL needs more of this:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...ngage-bench-filling-brawl-211654571--nhl.html

Wease

Apr 14, 2007
Powell, OH
I'm guessing that's where "future considerations" comes in. I imagine the rest of the league basically had a dispersal draft behind closed doors for the best players, and will fill out the roster by the end of the week with third-liners from the other teams and desperate free agents.

This might explain why a guy I know, who's been practicing with the Dayton team yet doesn't play in any actual games, announced that he had been signed by the New York team and moved there last week. This guy is no way a professional player, not even the best player at our Pick Up Hockey, but has been claiming all year that he's with this Dayton team and even tried to tell us that "The NHL lockout is keeping me from getting a regular spot in the lineup." No, I'm not making that up. :laugh:

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
This might explain why a guy I know, who's been practicing with the Dayton team yet doesn't play in any actual games, announced that he had been signed by the New York team and moved there last week. This guy is no way a professional player, not even the best player at our Pick Up Hockey, but has been claiming all year that he's with this Dayton team and even tried to tell us that "The NHL lockout is keeping me from getting a regular spot in the lineup." No, I'm not making that up. :laugh:

Domino theory?

You are playing near Columbus?

wildhairyguy

Jul 16, 2012
Think about it....

Guys its not as "out there" as it seems...4 NHLers get assigned to AHL, that bumps 4 AHLers to ECHL, and that bumps 4 ECHLers to FHL affilliate. And the FHL team is obligated by their deal with the ECHL team to play their guys.

There are only so many spots and if you are at the bottom of the ladder, you won't play much if at all. Only costs the team your accommodations to keep you around - if you aren't on active roster you don't get paid. Not laughable at all - more a harsh reality for some guys.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Guys its not as "out there" as it seems...4 NHLers get assigned to AHL, that bumps 4 AHLers to ECHL, and that bumps 4 ECHLers to FHL affilliate. And the FHL team is obligated by their deal with the ECHL team to play their guys.

There are only so many spots and if you are at the bottom of the ladder, you won't play much if at all. Only costs the team your accommodations to keep you around - if you aren't on active roster you don't get paid. Not laughable at all - more a harsh reality for some guys.

Yes, that is my domino theory. The only hole is that some of the 4 guys from Nashville that are down in Milwaukee haven't played much due to injuries. The Ads signed one player to a PTO. There aren't 4 guys playing in Cincinnati worth calling up. Maybe there are two. According to theAHL.com, there are no Cincinnati players on the Milwaukee roster. Kevin Henderson started out in Cincinnati last season and moved up to Milwaukee before the playoffs.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA

I don't think any ECHL teams are assigning players to the FHL either. The ECHL roster rules don't have any provision for that. There may be guys who were in ECHL training camps who are now playing in the FHL, with the hope that they will get signed to a try out if the ECHL teams get shorthanded, but I think most real ECHL level players who didn't make a roster are at home trying to find a job at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad