Fertitta's in talks to sell the UFC (Update: Offically sold for $4B)

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
A frat boy who tries to ban reporters for doing their jobs and constantly insults the athletes doesn't work at all.

4 billion dollars says otherwise. He's also not constantly insulting the fighters. Bellator has an ass kissing suit and look where they are...in the gutter. This is not the NFL or NHL. The UFC is a promotion, Dana is the perfect promoter for MMA. Its a sport that prides itself on being raw.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
And that's ignoring his constant attacks at anyone who disagrees with fighter pay or the Reebok ****show.

The guys a clown. The fact that most people look down on MMA is no surprise when you see the face of MMA is on twitter attacking anyone with a dissenting opinion and publicly insulting fighters.

Might as well get used to it I guess. We're not getting a real pro anytime soon.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
And that's ignoring his constant attacks at anyone who disagrees with fighter pay or the Reebok ****show.

The guys a clown. The fact that most people look down on MMA is no surprise when you see the face of MMA is on twitter attacking anyone with a dissenting opinion and publicly insulting fighters.

Might as well get used to it I guess. We're not getting a real pro anytime soon.
Agreed

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

I don't think anyone is denying that he does some stupid things. But you also can't deny that he's been very successful, and that it takes an extremely certain skillset to do what he's done that is different than a commissioner of another sport.

The people who look down on MMA don't do it because they don't like Dana White, they do it because it's a violent sport that isn't for everybody.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
The people who look down on MMA don't do it because they don't like Dana White, they do it because it's a violent sport that isn't for everybody.

... and because it's presented in a way that is "hardcore", not legitimate. Right down to the theme music. If it ever wants to take the next step it needs a major change in production style.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
I think UFC would be closer to a legit sport without Dana. They've obviously abandon that attempt in the last 2 years to go towards a more... "Entertaining" platform instead of an Ultimate Fighting Championship organization

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
I think UFC would be closer to a legit sport without Dana. They've obviously abandon that attempt in the last 2 years to go towards a more... "Entertaining" platform instead of an Ultimate Fighting Championship organization

I believe Dana will be staying on in his current role. At least that was what Joe Rogan said on the JRE. It would be wise for the new owners to move away from him, I agree with others in saying he's like a frat boy being a president. Guy is completely unprofessional. I get that it is FIGHTING, but if you're trying to legitimize the sport you need to act professional. It would be weird to heard Bettman dropping f bombs when someone calls him out...although I would love to see that :popcorn:

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
This "legitimizing" the sport that everyone keeps talking about...

They just sold for $4 billion dollars, the largest transaction in sporting history.

They are currently on Fox, and will have ESPN basically give them a blank cheque when the Fox deal expires.

As debatable as it is, Connor McGregor won Best Fighter at the ESPYs this year, with Rousey winning it last year.

I don't know how much more "legit" this can get.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
This "legitimizing" the sport that everyone keeps talking about...

They just sold for $4 billion dollars, the largest transaction in sporting history.

They are currently on Fox, and will have ESPN basically give them a blank cheque when the Fox deal expires.

As debatable as it is, Connor McGregor won Best Fighter at the ESPYs this year, with Rousey winning it last year.

I don't know how much more "legit" this can get.
Who hosted the ESPYs?

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
I believe Dana will be staying on in his current role. At least that was what Joe Rogan said on the JRE. It would be wise for the new owners to move away from him, I agree with others in saying he's like a frat boy being a president. Guy is completely unprofessional. I get that it is FIGHTING, but if you're trying to legitimize the sport you need to act professional. It would be weird to heard Bettman dropping f bombs when someone calls him out...although I would love to see that :popcorn:

He represents shady management. Can't trust him.

I'd still like to see him around, as a more professional promoter. But as a promoter. Not the almighty powerful company president.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
Dana may be unprofessional in many ways but he's a part of the entertainment in itself. He's as much a Don Cherry as a Gary Bettman. But I don't really care that the UFC isn't mainstream. I don't know why anyone here, who's assumedly a pretty big fan, would.

Last edited:

Ensane

EL GUAPO
Mar 2, 2002
People are using Gary Bettman as an analog whereas the proper comparison is an individual like Bob Arum or Don King.

And yes, with such comparisons, one realizes that White ain't so bad after all.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad