Fertitta's in talks to sell the UFC (Update: Offically sold for $4B)

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think the company had a ton of debt when they took it over as well.

Regardless, they've done an amazing job turning it around and making a ton of money on it.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Probably in the minority here but I hope Dana sticks around if this goes through. He most certainly would for a bit to help with the transition but I don't think it would be a bad idea to keep him long-term as well. He might be an ass but he's very good at what he does.

Ensane

EL GUAPO
Mar 2, 2002
Probably in the minority here but I hope Dana sticks around if this goes through. He most certainly would for a bit to help with the transition but I don't think it would be a bad idea to keep him long-term as well. He might be an ass but he's very good at what he does.
I agree with you fully.

I'm sure a large part of the company's purchase price is tied to locking him and other key employees up for a set term. 2-3 years would be market. They may even holdback a portion of the price in escrow in case any of them bolt before the term is up.

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Sounds like Dana will get paid but stick around and get 5-10% as a share.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
I hope Dana sticks around too. I really don't want a guy in a suit taking over.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
I was really hoping they'd replace Dana with a more respectable President.

I am not in the secrets ... and do not know what is going on inside the company but to me, Dana has been a very decent promoter and CEO.

The voice of UFC. The development was stellar and the fighters are the best.
Some things cannot be disclosed (like inside infos) and others can be discussed openly (like the value of a fighter and whith whom he would see the fight.

What could be more respectable ?

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
I am not in the secrets ... and do not know what is going on inside the company but to me, Dana has been a very decent promoter and CEO.

The voice of UFC. The development was stellar and the fighters are the best.
Some things cannot be disclosed (like inside infos) and others can be discussed openly (like the value of a fighter and whith whom he would see the fight.

What could be more respectable ?

Someone who doesn't publicly throw the fighters, reporters and anyone else who questions him under the bus.

Dana is a spoiled child.

Hopefully going from his buddy's to a joint ownership group with a $4 billion investment means he has a short leash.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Dana can definitely be unprofessional and has said/done many things he has had to later apologize for but I think he has been very good for the sport. I don't believe the people who just bought the UFC are some hardcore fight fans either, they're businessmen. IMO, you need someone like Dana more than ever now. I'm glad he's sticking around.

Sounds like Rogan might be staying on as well now since Dana is still there. He previously said he'd be out if they sell the company.

Ensane

EL GUAPO
Mar 2, 2002
I'm not the biggest fan some of the things that Dana does and think that overall he's a ***** with a large ego, but he's the most successful MMA promoter and CEO in the history of the sport, and a fantastic businessman. He's also the face of the brand, so keeping him in substantially the same role has value for overall company continuity. It makes no sense to replace him at this point.

PBandJ

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Sadly, this sport will never be seen as anything more than a joke with frat boys like Dana White as the face of things.

Ensane

EL GUAPO
Mar 2, 2002
Sadly, this sport will never be seen as anything more than a joke with frat boys like Dana White as the face of things.
This reads like a statement from 2005 that has long since been proven incorrect. The UFC's mainstream coverage and final sale price are both strong indications that the sport has grown far beyond being a joke.

PBandJ

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Hopefully this is just a transitional thing.

The UFC needs professionalism, not a guy who calls reporters the c word and attempts to blackball other reporters for doing their jobs. Not to mention someone who won't put his own fighters on public blast.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

The UFC needs professionalism, not a guy who calls reporters the c word and attempts to blackball other reporters for doing their jobs. Not to mention someone who won't put his own fighters on public blast.

It doesn't 'need' any of that just because that's what you want to see. A fight promoter/president is different than the commissioner of other kinds of sports leagues, it's a different skillset.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
It doesn't 'need' any of that just because that's what you want to see. A fight promoter/president is different than the commissioner of other kinds of sports leagues, it's a different skillset.

This guy knows.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Dana White is probably the closest person there is to a real-life Ari Gold (that's in the public eye anyway). And it won't surprise me for a company like IMG to embrace the way he goes about his business. He might not get to call as many shots as he once did, but I don't expect him to all of a sudden put on a suit and tie and be Gary Bettman. Besides, it sounds like whoever his new boss is is going to have Frank and Lorenzo whispering in their ears anyway.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

Its the fight game. A stuffy suit won't work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad