Confirmed with Link: Ferland Re-Signed, Two Year Deal, $825k AAV

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
The thing I like about him is that ever since he got over his alcohol problems he hasn't had a single MAJOR injury. He had that concussion in the ducks playoffs, but he's consistently out there and playing hard. Him and Bouma make the perfect 3/4 LW and they should stay that way for years. Our problem is 2nd LW and 1st/2nd RW right now. Shinkaruk should take that 2nd LW spot with Bennett, but I don't honestly know how we're going to fill that 1st and 2nd RW without winning 3rd or 4th in the draft.

Otherwise, Ferland and Bouma make the perfect bottom 6 tandem.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
And out of anyone in the current bottom 6, he's probably the most poised with the puck when he's carrying it out himself from the defensive zone.

I don't see why people are able to just put him down into a career bottom 6'er when you see that he can actually make the plays that top 6 forwards can - quickly carrying the puck through the neutral zone, beating the defender at the blueline using his size and speed, and making effective decisions with the puck. For him it's just a matter of doing it consistently.

You didn't see players like Jooris, Granlund, Bouma, Jones, Stajan, and even Colborne make those kinds of plays as much as he did. And that's why they're not going to be anywhere near the top 6 consistently. If Ferland can figure out his consistency, it's just not hard to see that he has a much better chance than the other current bottom 6'ers to end up in the top 6.
All these guys can make those plays when given the opportunity. Stajan , Bouma and even Bollig have all made beautiful plays before. What makes a bottom 6 forward is not the lack of skill, it is the inability to use that skill on a regular basis. The less you are able to use it, the further down the lineup you become. The fact you are making a case for Ferland being better than Colborne though is downright laughable, he has some of the better hands on the team and consistently uses them more effectively than Ferland.

The thing I like about him is that ever since he got over his alcohol problems he hasn't had a single MAJOR injury. He had that concussion in the ducks playoffs, but he's consistently out there and playing hard. Him and Bouma make the perfect 3/4 LW and they should stay that way for years. Our problem is 2nd LW and 1st/2nd RW right now. Shinkaruk should take that 2nd LW spot with Bennett, but I don't honestly know how we're going to fill that 1st and 2nd RW without winning 3rd or 4th in the draft.

Otherwise, Ferland and Bouma make the perfect bottom 6 tandem.
He never had a consussion against the Ducks it was an oblique sprain that was suffered against the Canucks and was made worse in teh Ducks series and he hasn't had a "serious" injury but has still been on IR multiple times in each of the past 2 seasons. Not that his injury history has anything to do with his personal problems.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
All these guys can make those plays when given the opportunity. Stajan , Bouma and even Bollig have all made beautiful plays before. What makes a bottom 6 forward is not the lack of skill, it is the inability to use that skill on a regular basis. The less you are able to use it, the further down the lineup you become. The fact you are making a case for Ferland being better than Colborne though is downright laughable, he has some of the better hands on the team and consistently uses them more effectively than Ferland.

Agree to disagree then, I guess we're not seeing the same Flames players :laugh:

I have also seen Stajan, Bouma and Bollig make beautiful plays before but have they really done it to the frequency and extent to that of Ferland?

And having good hands is absolutely ****ing useless if you lack the hockey sense to use it during games. How many times have you seen Colborne able to successfully stickhandle through defenses - and just to give some examples - whether it's carrying the puck through the neutral zone, or cutting into the middle from the boards in the offensive zone? I have seen many attempts by Colborne with rare success rates because of his lack of speed and hockey sense.

I guess I will agree to disagree there again because from the 70+ games I've seen this season, I certainly have not seen Colborne use his hands more effectively than Ferland.

TkachuckNotTkaczuk

Jan 21, 2015
Seattle
I'm more than willing to give Ferland more time to figure out his game. See these flashes of brilliance and you think he does have top 6 potential. And then you see a few games where he is invisible. I look at it this way, he's young, he's had substance abuse problems, he's had concussions/other injuries. He has also been placed in too many different line combos. I think he is a type of player who needs consistent linemates in order to get comfortable. Give him 5-10 games consistently with linemates and see what the can do. But a game here, a game there etc doesn't help him imo.

But really, between the injuries, substance abuse etc I think he's truly behind on his development curve and with that he's not going to be the most confident player out there. This should allow him more time before we write him off having a chance to be a top 6. We saw a confident kid in the Vancouver series but can we see more of that consistently? Maybe not to that extent, but a lead hitter on the team who can create space for our higher end talent and ability to contribute more offensively could yet happen imo. Hell, even if he doubles his miserable 3.4% shooting percentage he would be quite valuable. Maybe he tops out as a 3rd line guy who contributes a fair amount of points, who knows but I do think there is too much there to place him a 4th line grinder role.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
The thing about Ferly, as mentioned before is he has shown that high end skill and passing ability, just hasn't shown he can do it on a consistent basis to expect him to contribute meaningful minutes every game.

That being said, he's not really a liability, and if we expect to be a playoff team within a season or two here, he's exactly the guy you want on the team come April, the only problem is, we can't expect him to be that playoff guy all season. So maybe we let him take over Bollig's role and just give him 4th line minutes for most of the season, and let him be that energy guy for the important games (late season games with major playoff implications) plus the playoffs and for the other games, let him be a 4th line skill player so he's not beaten up by playoffs. He's in a tough position but I do think there's a role for him here.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
I like Ferland on the fourth line, and think he may become a pretty decent third liner, but I don't see much top 6 upside in him. Injury fill in up there for short stretches perhaps, but not consistently

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I like Ferland on the fourth line, and think he may become a pretty decent third liner, but I don't see much top 6 upside in him. Injury fill in up there for short stretches perhaps, but not consistently
this guy knows what he is talking about

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
1) Find some reliable scorer on the top 6 and have Ferland on the 3rd or 4th line ---> Playoff team.

2) Have Ferland on the top 6 and benefit from his inconsistency ---> Reward with the top pick in 2017, Nolan Patrick?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad