Feel The Chill - Official [CHL] St. Charles Chill thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandallRitchey

Formerly the Bergy Gif guy on Twitter
Jan 26, 2008
St. Louis
www.stlouisgametime.com
Ok, that makes sense. He probably shouldn't have signed there in the first place.

I agree 100%. I honestly think he thought it would be a cake walk and just dominate. Then he was asked to play a two way game. He didn't like that and he wanted out. Rivers is implementing a system which requires everyone of the players to play hard in all three zones. It's going to take time to adjust but the team will get it.

I agree that Missouri will want to get out from owning St. Charles, and I agree they will. If the Chill can find ownership in St. Charles, and find a owner to give them a couple of seasons to grow, it could really solidify itself in St. Charles. Only time will tell.

JungleJON

May 10, 2011
There was a team in this market before and it slowly went by the wayside in a few years - but attendance was a lot higher to start off year one.
Now you would have thought that people would have done some research before putting the team in St. Charles to see #1) would people support the team #2) do people really care if a hockey team comes to the area #3) what price would they pay for a game #4) support from local business, etc., etc., etc.
So they dropped the price of their tickets. Like someone posted here before - they would need a heck of an increase to make more $$$$.

This ship was named the Titanic from day one and the ship has sailed. Now only to wait to hear the siren when the ship starts to sink.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
"Market research? What's that?" Would be the response from anyone in the CHL. Logical ideas are unfortunately left out when the CHL adds an expansion franchise.

mfrerkes

Nov 16, 2007
1,173 in St. Chucky last night - looks like the Chill remain a hot draw at the box office.

Considering it was a Wednesday, that actually exceeded my very low expectations for this team. I guess the fact they hit four digits during a mid-week game is cause for celebration. :handclap:

There's a St. Charles fan on another forum who mentioned that, last night, their front office seemed less enthusiastic about greeting fans (a practice they had embraced earlier this season) and could sense a change in mood. I honestly don't know what the Chill were expecting with their recent moves. Dropping ticket prices -- even by a huge amount -- will have limited effect in drawing new fans. Getting rid of the team's offense was also a dumb move. Hometown fans typically like to see goals being scored.

I'm standing by my prediction that this team makes it to the end of the season. Missouri wouldn't dare embarrass the CHL by folding this team mid-season, but I also doubt the Mavs will opt to bring them back for 2014-15. Whatever Missouri is making in Independence is probably being flushed down the toilet in Saint Charles.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Well attendance on Wednesday could have been lifted by their Facebook status that day around lunch.

"Tonight and every Wednesday the rest of the season we'll have "College Night". Beers for the number of goals in a hat-trick!!! Have we mention tickets for just FIVE BUCKS!? #FeelTheChill"

Also what a surprise Corbeil was moved, as Lundin made his first pro start against the Beast the other night. Hopefully Corbeil will do well with Wheeling, he will get better development for one thing than he was getting with the Chill. I do agree with mferkes, fans do like to see a team win a game once in awhile. These 1 goal games are an improvement over the blowouts early in the season but not enough. It could be 1 of two things either A.) Rivers isn't the best coach or B.) Rivers doesn't have much to work with. I choose to believe the latter in that a good coach gets stuck with a bad team sometimes. Even though this is Rivers' first coaching position he has run offseason workouts for the Blues and helped out in their training camp last year.

intangible

Apr 28, 2010
Meanwhile, the Ambush had over 7,000 fans in the stands for its home opener. Ambush really did it right by going out and proactively finding youth organization to partner with. I didn't see the Chill going out to any number of the local youth organizations to try to sell tickets or get publicity.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Meanwhile, the Ambush had over 7,000 fans in the stands for its home opener. Ambush really did it right by going out and proactively finding youth organization to partner with. I didn't see the Chill going out to any number of the local youth organizations to try to sell tickets or get publicity.

They also had Lindenwood night, the Lindenwood Cheerleading and Lion Line Dance Teams performed and LU students could get $5 tickets.

intangible

Apr 28, 2010
They also had Lindenwood night, the Lindenwood Cheerleading and Lion Line Dance Teams performed and LU students could get $5 tickets.

All great ideas that the Chill should've considered.

I just round it really striking that while I continually saw the Ambush publicizing agreements or partnerships with the many youth soccer clubs in the area, the Chill had nothing. Picture of them standing outside of St. Charles Community College. Yay. But nothing about the many youth hockey organizations, be it St. Peters, Kirkwood, Affton, Webster, etc. Nothing at all. Could've been a huge opportunity for them.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Huge weekend for the Chill. Gut wrenching loss Friday but they rebounded big time with a big win tonight.

To look at things objectively, as a journalist should:

They're tied for last place with Wichita. They have eight points to show for the season to this point.

Most importantly, both games they played were on the road, which means that the team that drawing 1,730/game brought in $0.00 in revenue while incurring further expenses.

As was previously shown, the cut in ticket prices requires sizable gains in attendance to offset the loss in revenue. We haven't seen those gains yet.

This is just another example of a poorly-capitalized, poorly-planned minor league franchise.

mfrerkes

Nov 16, 2007
Huge weekend for the Chill. Gut wrenching loss Friday but they rebounded big time with a big win tonight.

Is going .500 over two games really a "huge weekend" for any team? Especially at this point in the season? A sweep in Missouri....yeah, that would be a "huge weekend" I suppose.

Certain words carry a certain value. The word "huge" is typically reserved for something momentous.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
To look at things objectively, as a journalist should:

They're tied for last place with Wichita. They have eight points to show for the season to this point.

Most importantly, both games they played were on the road, which means that the team that drawing 1,730/game brought in $0.00 in revenue while incurring further expenses.

As was previously shown, the cut in ticket prices requires sizable gains in attendance to offset the loss in revenue. We haven't seen those gains yet.

This is just another example of a poorly-capitalized, poorly-planned minor league franchise.

Exactly the games were on the road, so the Chill have no revenue brought in for the weekend.

Also huge is not the right word to describe the weekend for them, the right word is they split their series with the Mavericks. Nice to hear they got a win for once, but the reality is they are tied for last place with 8 points, and 2nd to last in attendance. Hopefully the Ambush teach them a lesson on how to set up a franchise successfully.

mfrerkes

Nov 16, 2007
Nice to hear they got a win for once, but the reality is they are tied for last place with 8 points, and 2nd to last in attendance. Hopefully the Ambush teach them a lesson on how to set up a franchise successfully.

You can't un-break an egg. The Chill had their one and only shot at making a positive first impression this fall. Needless to say, they missed the mark by quite a bit. I don't see the Chill recovering from such a horrific stumble by merely copying some other franchise's front office playbook.

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
Hopefully the Ambush teach them a lesson on how to set up a franchise successfully.

The Ambush tapped in to a pre-existing (though dormant) market that was abnormally interested in indoor soccer..

intangible

Apr 28, 2010
Not so sure.. could just be the extra marketing they did with Lindenwood. I'm very interested to see, though, as indoor soccer in the area has, at least in my opinion, dwindled quite a bit. I used to play, myself, but it seems more of these facilities are now doing extra things like indoor softball. Reminds me of inline hockey in the area.. it used to be huge, but because of lack of demand the largest inline hockey rink converted one rink to indoor soccer, and this was AFTER they shut down the mini rink in the middle of the facility (which began as youth hockey, turned into volleyball, then dodgeball, and I'm not sure it's even there anymore).

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
You can't un-break an egg. The Chill had their one and only shot at making a positive first impression this fall. Needless to say, they missed the mark by quite a bit. I don't see the Chill recovering from such a horrific stumble by merely copying some other franchise's front office playbook.

Yes I agree. What meant by my statement about the Ambush is that they will hopefully make the Chill see the error of their ways. I agree the Chill will not be to recover from their horrible start, and the saying "You only get one first impression." applies really well here.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
WOW!!! WHAT A SURPRISE THIS IS!

not... I expected he would leave this failing franchise for better waters in the ECHL. All the ECHL guys have bailed, they are better off there anyway.

intangible

Apr 28, 2010
How long before Rivers gets canned? Rivers was supposed to be someone to put butts in the seats since he was a Bluenote, but with the franchise not doing great and attendance still hovering around 2,000 with $5 tickets, I can't imagine his salary isn't on the chopping block if this continues.

mfrerkes

Nov 16, 2007
How long before Rivers gets canned? Rivers was supposed to be someone to put butts in the seats since he was a Bluenote, but with the franchise not doing great and attendance still hovering around 2,000 with $5 tickets, I can't imagine his salary isn't on the chopping block if this continues.

It doesn't matter what the Chill do at this point. The whole production has been a disaster from the word "Go" and there's no turning this ship around. Putting a new captain behind the wheel of the Titanic after it already struck the iceberg is pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad