OT: Favourite Band

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Just on this thread. The under 30's are too busy complaining in the Rumors thread to notice this one. ;)
They are in the mosh pit jostling with each other, while we’re all sitting around the scotch bar enjoying the sweeter things in life.

Have one of my own music stories. I'll be dating myself badly with this, and obviously not for everyone of a certain age, but if you are of the proper vintage, you might get a chuckle. :DWas just a wee lad of about 5 or 6, and our family was in Jasper. We went for breakfast at Phil's Pancake House and there was a fellow with a tam and a beard going around with his guitar entertaining people. He came up to our table and asked if there was something he could play for me. I excitedly and quickly blurted out Yogi Bear, and he responded he didn't quite know that one, but offered up another one instead, to my utter disappointment. At any rate, years and years later, I found out it was Will Millar and it was prior to the Irish Rovers heading into their heyday. And the song? The Unicorn, which went on to become one of their biggest hits. I have learned to forgive Mr. Millar for not playing my then favourite song (soundtrack), and acknowledge he did pretty good with the alternative choice.
Very cool story.

Remember the big boned fellow in the band, cant remember his name but I can see him still, in my memory banks. That guy had a real singing voice from what I remember when he had a solo part.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
They are in the mosh pit jostling with each other, while we’re all sitting around the scotch bar enjoying the sweeter things in life.

Very cool story.

Remember the big boned fellow in the band, cant remember his name but I can see him still, in my memory banks. That guy had a real singing voice from what I remember when he had a solo part.
That would be Jimmy Ferguson, a friend of the Millars, who was the only member of the group to not play an instrument, but had a big voice and was the comedian of the group. Sadly, passed away in 1997. Most noted for "Wasn't that a Party."

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Me reading all the praise for Pink Floyd:

jose-mourinho-sweet-trouble.gif

Haha, I was thinking the same thing. I would count many of the classic rock bands of their era among my biggest favourites. Beatles, Zeppelin, the Who, Rolling Stones, the Doors, the Kinks...but Pink Floyd just wasn't my cup of tea in comparison. I'll listen to their earliest stuff now and then, but that's practically a different band. Comfortably Numb is objectively an amazing song...but I'd rather listen to See Emily Play or Arnold Lane 🤣

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Haha, I was thinking the same thing. I would count many of the classic rock bands of their era among my biggest favourites. Beatles, Zeppelin, the Who, Rolling Stones, the Doors, the Kinks...but Pink Floyd just wasn't my cup of tea in comparison. I'll listen to their earliest stuff now and then, but that's practically a different band. Comfortably Numb is objectively an amazing song...but I'd rather listen to See Emily Play or Arnold Lane 🤣

;)

• Haha
Reactions: Perfect_Drug

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Article on FolkFest and ExDir Terry Wickham. That guy is a magician in attracting world class talent to a little ol’ Edmonton river bank.

‘WE ARE IN GOOD SHAPE’[email protected] @camtait CAM TAIT

Edmonton Sun
Aug 10, 2023
This year’s Edmonton folk fest ready to set sail with producer Terry Wickham at the helm

Terry Wickham is a busy man these days, as executive producer of the Edmonton Folk Music Festival, which takes its first notes Thursday night featuring Feist as the main stage headliner.

Asking for Wickham’s media availability could be a crap shoot — if not impossible.

Fourteen hours following an email request, Wickham responded. A cell number, too, and an open invitation to call.

That action cements how Wickham, originally from Ireland and making a stop in Calgary before settling in Edmonton in the late ’80s, sees the festival’s work, and the need to promote it.

Sure, there are countless details to be ironed out for the three-day Gallagher Park gathering.

Volunteers working very hard. Check.

Acts starting to arrive in Edmonton. Check.

Good weather forecast. Check, we hope.

“We are in good shape,” he said. But there are a few things that Wickham doesn’t have any control over, despite his 35 years on the hill.

The weather is a constant concern. So, now, is smoke, and climate change, which can take a clutch on an outdoor event.

Still — and the band plays on — the festival is in good financial shape, far from the 1980s when it was “pretty broke,” said Wickham.

The festival’s staff is larger in number and more experienced. Technology may be wonderful — when it works, right? — but there are still some things that are challenging.

Yet, the music, and its creators, continues to thrive, giving the festival a comfortable, renowned place on the world’s stage.

We need music gatherings these days.

“I wish the world and the rest of the year had the same utopian feel as the Folk Festival,” said Wickham. “It is easy to play on people’s fears and differences. It is easier to destroy than to build.

“Folk music is a very positive influence but it cannot combat all the negativity around us. I like that at our festival, greed is not rewarded, where we don’t have any VIP sales.”

He also said there is more grassroots, pure, songwriting and fewer lyrics penned with political views.

One of Wickham’s highlights was the 1994 opening night with a 12-song set from Joni Mitchell in front of 7,000 fans.

Quite the backstory: Mitchell calling Wickham and telling him she wanted to play the folk festival, and suggesting a fee, a figure he said he would pay three of times more.

It set the stage for Wickham to chase his bucket-list act, Van Morrison: a 17-song set in 2010 — a special Wednesday show to raise funds for an endowment project.

Yet another Wickham memory was John Prine in 2005.

Wickham doesn’t see retirement near on the horizon.

“And I don’t know the answer, except, I think I will know when it is time, hopefully before anyone else does,” he said.

The festival follows the sun Sunday evening as it winds down with Ben Harper being the closing act.

Wickham said he doesn’t feel sadness any more when the annual festival weekend wraps up.

“I used to, but that (letdown) feeling left town a long time ago. I look forward to a holiday. Now I am relieved if it all went well, as I feel a major responsibility to our society, to our patrons, to our artists and to our staff.”

Reactions: Stoneman89

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Article on FolkFest and ExDir Terry Wickham. That guy is a magician in attracting world class talent to a little ol’ Edmonton river bank.

Edmonton Sun
Aug 10, 2023
This year’s Edmonton folk fest ready to set sail with producer Terry Wickham at the helm

Terry Wickham is a busy man these days, as executive producer of the Edmonton Folk Music Festival, which takes its first notes Thursday night featuring Feist as the main stage headliner.

Asking for Wickham’s media availability could be a crap shoot — if not impossible.

Fourteen hours following an email request, Wickham responded. A cell number, too, and an open invitation to call.

That action cements how Wickham, originally from Ireland and making a stop in Calgary before settling in Edmonton in the late ’80s, sees the festival’s work, and the need to promote it.

Sure, there are countless details to be ironed out for the three-day Gallagher Park gathering.

“We are in good shape,” he said. But there are a few things that Wickham doesn’t have any control over, despite his 35 years on the hill.

The weather is a constant concern. So, now, is smoke, and climate change, which can take a clutch on an outdoor event.

Still — and the band plays on — the festival is in good financial shape, far from the 1980s when it was “pretty broke,” said Wickham.

The festival’s staff is larger in number and more experienced. Technology may be wonderful — when it works, right? — but there are still some things that are challenging.

Yet, the music, and its creators, continues to thrive, giving the festival a comfortable, renowned place on the world’s stage.

“I wish the world and the rest of the year had the same utopian feel as the Folk Festival,” said Wickham. “It is easy to play on people’s fears and differences. It is easier to destroy than to build.

“Folk music is a very positive influence but it cannot combat all the negativity around us. I like that at our festival, greed is not rewarded, where we don’t have any VIP sales.”

He also said there is more grassroots, pure, songwriting and fewer lyrics penned with political views.

One of Wickham’s highlights was the 1994 opening night with a 12-song set from Joni Mitchell in front of 7,000 fans.

Quite the backstory: Mitchell calling Wickham and telling him she wanted to play the folk festival, and suggesting a fee, a figure he said he would pay three of times more.

It set the stage for Wickham to chase his bucket-list act, Van Morrison: a 17-song set in 2010 — a special Wednesday show to raise funds for an endowment project.

“And I don’t know the answer, except, I think I will know when it is time, hopefully before anyone else does,” he said.

The festival follows the sun Sunday evening as it winds down with Ben Harper being the closing act.

Wickham said he doesn’t feel sadness any more when the annual festival weekend wraps up.

“I used to, but that (letdown) feeling left town a long time ago. I look forward to a holiday. Now I am relieved if it all went well, as I feel a major responsibility to our society, to our patrons, to our artists and to our staff.”
The most original band name of this years festival. The Brother brothers. Just to be sarcastic about band names I'd name a band that.

Not gonna go despite knowing several acts this year. I find Wickham musical tastes and my own don't match at all. Which is OK. he's traditionalist folky and I like seeing other types of music, almost any other and so I've been to EFMF Festival once in my life and Calgary Folk Fest 5 times. They just get acts that I like more.

ps I did a deep dive and 16 of the band names at festival contain Brothers or sisters. I would personally pay not to ever hear Bros Landreth. If they were street musicians I would pay money for them to stop singing.

Last edited:
Reactions: brentashton

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
The most original band name of this years festival. The Brother brothers. Just to be sarcastic about band names I'd name a band that.

Not gonna go despite knowing several acts this year. I find Wickham musical tastes and my own don't match at all. Which is OK. he's traditionalist folky and I like seeing other types of music, almost any other and so I've been to EFMF Festival once in my life and Calgary Folk Fest 5 times. They just get acts that I like more.

ps I did a deep dive and 16 of the band names at festival contain Brothers or sisters. I would personally pay not to ever hear Bros Landreth. If they were street musicians I would pay money for them to stop singing.
Understood…but I just had to…

:)

1691688230312.gif

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Edmonton Sun
Aug 10, 2023

Terry Wickham IS The Edmonton Folk Festival. The man is an Edmonton institution and should go on some hall of fame here. On of the fondest memories I will ever have was being on Gallagher hill on a hot August night and watching a magical performance by Nitty Gritty Dirt Band with my wife.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Terry Wickham IS The Edmonton Folk Festival. The man is an Edmonton institution and should go on some hall of fame here. On of the fondest memories I will ever have was being on Gallagher hill on a hot August night and watching a magical performance by Nitty Gritty Dirt Band with my wife.
Did you go fishing in the dark or is your wife friends with brentashton's wife.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I used to go to the folk fest every year for a number of years but then tapped out when it became too popular.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad