OT: Favourite Band

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Iron Maiden all day every day.

Pink Floyd is right up there too but Maiden has been my band since I saw that first album cover way back in 1980.

Was lucky to have seen Pink Floyd several times over several tours, never disappointed. Anyone going to see Brit Floyd at the Jubilee Aug 2? They are a phenomenal Floyd tribute band playing many of the Dark Side songs for the 50th anniversary of the album release.

@GOilers88 you have 3 nuts?

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Iron Maiden all day every day.

Pink Floyd is right up there too but Maiden has been my band since I saw that first album cover way back in 1980.

Was lucky to have seen Pink Floyd several times over several tours, never disappointed. Anyone going to see Brit Floyd at the Jubilee Aug 2? They are a phenomenal Floyd tribute band playing many of the Dark Side songs for the 50th anniversary of the album release.

@GOilers88 you have 3 nuts?
Going to brit Floyd next weekend.

Trying to give it up for something good, that middle nut

Tough to pick one.

1)Kraftwerk
1)Elton John & Band :D

3)Pink Floyd= Meddle is my favorite...Echoes /best track
4)Black Sabbath/Dio
Meddle is such a good album. Underrated imo

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Pink Floyd. Going all the way back to Syd Barrett.

My Bucketlist was always going to be seeing Pink Floyd and we went to the 1994 show at Commonwealth on the epic Pulse tour. The only thing better imo would be seeing Pink Floyd together with Roger Waters who I adore not just as a musician but as a role model, statesman, and fearless person that stands for beliefs no matter what the costs. Waters has paid plenty, and along with Barrett was the inspiration of the band, and the early leaders of the band. Its always been odd that David Gilmour flew the Pink Floyd banner when really he wasn't an original.

That said the synthesis and what Gilmour brought made a lot of the epic moments but Pink Floyd doesn't exist as a creative process, undeniably, without the groundbreaking sonic experiments of Waters and Barrett, both geniuses. David Gilmour is such a big part of the sound that developed but without the genesis there would be no Pink Floyd.

Wish you were here is the album of the ages. The desert island soundtrack. The pick if you have one album only you can listen to. Thats the one.

DSOTM is the one that got all the attention, along with the Wall later, and both are great in their own rights. But Wish you were here is the magic. The band in its own rights whereas DSOTM had a lot of Alan Parsons (god love him) fingers on all the tracks. Wish is more what Pink Floyd is imo.

Similarly with Led Zep IV is the one thought of as the masterpiece but I'd have to give the nod to Physical Graffiti being a work without parallel, and that it has 4 sides and is so brilliant. Zep were flexing their muscles on that one and never got to that height again. Pink Floyd did hit it out of the ballpark again with the Wall, but Wish was so special. No other album like it ever.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Pink Floyd’s “The Final Cut” is one of my all time faves.

As for bands, gimme Foo Fighters all day.
A few cuts I like on it but few would ever pick this album. The band were essentially already broke up. The album was incomplete. Not Now John the last track worthy of the band. The rest is Waters spoken verse with enough ditties to fill up an album. its an album that was packed together. Its unique it worked for you, not knocking, but of their catalog its like The Endless River, its considered just an album for those that collect all the albums.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Pink Floyd. Going all the way back to Syd Barrett.

My Bucketlist was always going to be seeing Pink Floyd and we went to the 1994 show at Commonwealth on the epic Pulse tour. The only thing better imo would be seeing Pink Floyd together with Roger Waters who I adore not just as a musician but as a role model, statesman, and fearless person that stands for beliefs no matter what the costs. Waters has paid plenty, and along with Barrett was the inspiration of the band, and the early leaders of the band. Its always been odd that David Gilmour flew the Pink Floyd banner when really he wasn't an original.

That said the synthesis and what Gilmour brought made a lot of the epic moments but Pink Floyd doesn't exist as a creative process, undeniably, without the groundbreaking sonic experiments of Waters and Barrett, both geniuses. David Gilmour is such a big part of the sound that developed but without the genesis there would be no Pink Floyd.

Wish you were here is the album of the ages. The desert island soundtrack. The pick if you have one album only you can listen to. Thats the one.

DSOTM is the one that got all the attention, along with the Wall later, and both are great in their own rights. But Wish you were here is the magic. The band in its own rights whereas DSOTM had a lot of Alan Parsons (god love him) fingers on all the tracks. Wish is more what Pink Floyd is imo.

Similarly with Led Zep IV is the one thought of as the masterpiece but I'd have to give the nod to Physical Graffiti being a work without parallel, and that it has 4 sides and is so brilliant. Zep were flexing their muscles on that one and never got to that height again. Pink Floyd did hit it out of the ballpark again with the Wall, but Wish was so special. No other album like it ever.
I find your take on Waters interesting, and definitely respect your opinion. Oddly enough The Wall is probably my least favourite Floyd album. It has some amazing tracks, but on a whole it just doesn’t stand up to albums like Wish You Were Here, Dark Side, Animals, or Meddle for me. I got to see Waters live a couple of times a few years back and it was amazing, but I’ve found recently that he’s coming across more and more as a bitter old prick, which is a shame. His constant ragging on ex band mates that helped propel him into history really doesn’t sit well with me, especially his comments regarding Dark Side and his remaster of the album. There simply is no improving on it I don’t think. It is perfect front to back.

I think I have the Pulse Live at Wembley DVD and holy shit is it amazing. The ladies they had for Great Gig in the Sky were absolutely phenomenal. Blows my mind every time I watch it.

Can’t wait for some of the < 50 crowd to chime in. :popcorn:
I’m only 35 :(

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I find your take on Waters interesting, and definitely respect your opinion. Oddly enough The Wall is probably my least favourite Floyd album. It has some amazing tracks, but on a whole it just doesn’t stand up to albums like Wish You Were Here, Dark Side, Animals, or Meddle for me. I got to see Waters live a couple of times a few years back and it was amazing, but I’ve found recently that he’s coming across more and more as a bitter old prick, which is a shame. His constant ragging on ex band mates that helped propel him into history really doesn’t sit well with me, especially his comments regarding Dark Side and his remaster of the album. There simply is no improving on it I don’t think. It is perfect front to back.

I think I have the Pulse Live at Wembley DVD and holy shit is it amazing. The ladies they had for Great Gig in the Sky were absolutely phenomenal. Blows my mind every time I watch it.

My fave PF album is probably Animals. Love the Orwellian 1984 theme.

Saw Pulse at Commonwealth that was an awesome show, one of my top concerts ever, the Wall in Vancouver was great, Roger Waters here a few times.

OLd man stumbling into the room

ACDC
Rush
Queen
Def Leppard
Billy Joel
Harry Chapin
Nazareth
Bon Jovi
The Who
The Kinks
Spirit of the West
Rankin Family
Bryan Adams
Styx
Tom Petty
GArth Brooks

Now pick just one!

Reactions: bellagiobob

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

I sent you a PM but you got it wrong on the bolded.

Syd Barrett and Roger Waters were famous enough on the backs of their very early work and hit the ground running. They actually made Gilmour famous, not the other way around and somebody like Nick Mason is making a point lately of completely playing the two early albums in his performances with his own project. Not without reason. He wants to shine light on those brilliant albums. The band were getting huge attention before Gilmour even arrived and Syd Barrett and Waters were like nothing ever seen or heard. Barrett in his own behalf was the front of the band and singer but was extremely charismatic. The band was going to be enormous had Barrett not succumbed to Schizophrenia onset by copious hallucinogens' usage.

Pink Floyd were so respected in the 60's, before Gilmour that they could have had Jeff Beck play lead guitar for them. Beck has even stated he would have jumped to join them if he'd been asked. Gilmour was just used originally as a session musician and to go on tour. The Original members had not thought to have him as a permanent member.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Going to brit Floyd next weekend.

Trying to give it up for something good, that middle nut

You seeing the show in Winnipeg? I just checked the venue here in Edmonton at the Jubilee and shocked how many tickets are still available, at least half the venue is unsold still.

Always good to have a spare just in case one of the other two conks out.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
You seeing the show in Winnipeg? I just checked the venue here in Edmonton at the Jubilee and shocked how many tickets are still available, at least half the venue is unsold still.

I lied it isn’t next weekend, it’s Monday in Vancouver. July 31st. Very excited.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Jubilee has fallen off as a venue. That doesn't help. The place had its problems before pandemic but ever since the drink service, seating, venue is taking a turn to ratty. The worst drink service and pricing I've seen in such a facility. Jube is terribly managed and treat staff like disposable crap. It shows in the present service. Winspear more enjoyable now.

Aside from that so many Pink Floyd cover bands that are touring and people have mostly seen them.

Brit Floyd now to me isn't even the best touring cover band. Partial to Pink Floyd sound that can bring the bombast, just like their recorded sound more. This is a Waters track but shows how great they are covering even a very complex piece.

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Jubilee has fallen off as a venue. That doesn't help. The place had its problems before pandemic but ever since the drink service, seating, venue is taking a turn to ratty. The worst drink service and pricing I've seen in such a facility. Jube is terribly managed and treat staff like disposable crap. It shows in the present service. Winspear more enjoyable now.

Aside from that so many Pink Floyd cover bands that are touring and people have mostly seen them.

Brit Floyd now to me isn't even the best touring cover band. Partial to Pink Floyd sound that can bring the bombast, just like their recorded sound more. This is a Waters track but shows how great they are covering even a very complex piece.

I haven't been to the Jubilee in ages and cant recall the last time I saw a concert there but I am just there to see the show so not too concerned about drinks and what not. Seen one other Pink Floyd touring cover band called Pigs who are from Victoria at the Myer Horowitz and they were really good. I heard Brit Floyd was very good too so 4 of us old Floyd fans from high school are going, 2 of them are right over the top Pink Floyd fans. For me I just like a lot of their music so it should be a good time with some old friends.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I haven't been to the Jubilee in ages and cant recall the last time I saw a concert there but I am just there to see the show so not too concerned about drinks and what not. Seen one other Pink Floyd touring cover band called Pigs who are from Victoria at the Myer Horowitz and they were really good. I heard Brit Floyd was very good too so 4 of us old Floyd fans from high school are going, 2 of them are right over the top Pink Floyd fans. For me I just like a lot of their music so it should be a good time with some old friends.
Oh for sure. I mean one can enjoy any of the Cover bands and its testament to the artistry of PF that there are so many, and so many other musicians as well as orchestras that cover their canon of work.

I would have loved to see the Wall tour. Wow.

Brit Floyd are definitely good but their act is aging as well. I think they still bring the most audio/visual rendition of PF though.

Last time I saw a concert there at Jube Was Beck. Also saw Heart with Joan Jett. But since then have been there for other performances and the staffing is real hit and miss. Terribly managed now and they don't retain anybody. But I guess thats more the case with a lot of places now.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Simply, who is your hands down favourite band or artist of all time. Someone you can always throw on and never be disappointed?

Pink Floyd for me. I’d happily give my middle nut to have seen them in their prime. Can only imagine how awesome it was to see them tour for Dark Side when it came out.
I think we've had something like this before, but sure, I'm in.

Beatles
Stones
Zep

Was at the Jube in the fall for a concert, and the place is still amazing. Everything was first class.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad