Salary Cap: Faux News: Fehr and Balanced Off-Season Pens coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'd rather someone who is better at defense than Buff. Though pushing Letang down to being our 3rd best PP D-man would be pretty sweet

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If we're getting Byfuglien for defense, you may as well not give up any assets for Franson. He'd push Letang off the 1st unit.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I thought Sundqvist had only really played RW and center. Does Sundqvist have experience at LW?

I think Dupuis should be a LW, and Sundqvist and Bennett should be playing RW.

Like Aiastelmon said, I don't recall Sundqvist ever playing RW.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I must have misread which wing then.

Can Bonino and Fehr play any forward position?

Also has Plotnikov played center in the KHL?

Bonino has basically only played center. Fehr has played C and RW. Plotnikov played some C.

These are all the spots that I believe guys can pretty comfortably play

Centers
Sid
Geno
Bonino
Fehr
Sundqvist
Plotnikov

RW
Kessel
Hornqvist
Dupuis
Bennett
Fehr

LW
Perron
Kunitz
Dupuis
Plotnikov
Sundqvist
Bennett

I would love to see basically two 3rd lines with Bonino centering a more offensive one with Bennett and Fehr centering a more defensive one with Dupuis. That leaves Sundqvist at LW with one of them and one of Kunitz or Plotnikov with the other.

Last edited:

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I must have misread which wing then.

Can Bonino and Fehr play any forward position?

Also has Plotnikov played center in the KHL?

I believe that Bonino can play LW and center, although he's much better at center. Fehr can play all three forward positions, and I believe I read the same about Plotnikov.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
I believe that Bonino can play LW and center, although he's much better at center. Fehr can play all three forward positions, and I believe I read the same about Plotnikov.

Bonino has basically only played center. Fehr has played C and RW. Plotnikov played some C.

Centers
Sid
Geno
Bonino
Fehr
Sundqvist
Plotnikov

RW
Kessel
Hornqvist
Dupuis
Bennett
Fehr

LW
Perron
Kunitz
Dupuis
Plotnikov
Bennett
Sundqvist

Thanks.

Nice to have some versatility and flexibility if needed.

BumFortyOne

Nov 13, 2006
Berkeley
I would love to see basically two 3rd lines with Bonino centering a more offensive one with Bennett and Fehr centering a more defensive one with Dupuis. That leaves Sundqvist at LW with one of them and one of Kunitz or Plotnikov with the other.

Yep, I think this is the way to go. Then for the top six Perron and Hornqvist are a wing tandem with Kunitz/Plotnikov and Kessel making up the other. Who centers which pair is mostly a matter of personal preference at this point I think. Though I'd honestly be surprised if the coaching staff didn't start Kessel with Crosby.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Yep, pretty much.

1A
1B
3A
3B

That helps make up for the fact that we are relying on 1 proven D pair.

I like the 2 3rd lines idea. That way nobody gets shortchanged by playing on the 4th line, because the ice time will be more or less even. Not sure if that's ever been done though, or can be done.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I like the 2 3rd lines idea. That way nobody gets shortchanged by playing on the 4th line, because the ice time will be more or less even. Not sure if that's ever been done though, or can be done.

I don't see any reason it couldn't be done. Not necessarily within each game, but whichever one is having more success that night can be the 3rd line. Have some internal competition.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Wanted to give a quick :handclap::handclap: to JR. Guy has completely turned this team over personnel wise and has given Sid and Geno every opportunity to succeed for the first time in a very long time. Why it has taken this long is beyond me. Give your two generational superstars good players to play with?? THAT'S how you should build a team?? What JR has done in a little over a year is quite remarkable. <snip> You da man, JR. (now give Perron a contract before he breaks out)

I'm a huge Perron fan... but he's going to have a hard time "breaking out" here. Prior to the Kessel trade, I could have seen Perron getting 30-35g and 60-70 pts if he stayed healthy and things clicked. Lofty, sure, but given his skill level, and his RHS, those wouldn't be completely unreasonable projections if he was seeing #1PP time. Now however... odds are he'll never see #1PP time. Which means I doubt he tops 25 goals and 50-55 points. Not a bad thing by any means... just that those point totals are going to make it hard for him to get paid. And after what he just went through in Edmonton for 18 months, I think he's more likely to stick around here at say 4-4.5m then take a chance on FA and maybe make a little more, but on a crappier team.

I don't really see any reason to keep Bennett around. Hornqvist and Kessel will be around a while, Perron might be also. Bonino might be moved to the LW for the top 6. There's no room for Bennett even if he does pan out.

There's also no reason to dump him. He holds little value right now. Might as well try and develop him. Maybe he pans out as a left winger. Or maybe he excels as a third liner who can move up when needed. While his star is certainly fading, I'm not in a hurry to trade him, as there's still some potential there.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Hate to knock Bennett anymore than I at times do, but this is a very true statement. When given the chance he does look good...but the points on the scoresheet just aren't there yet. And when it comes down to it...getting on the scoresheet is how you win games.

I think he needs to turn some heads early in the season.

While true... 150 pro games over 3 years. Does he need to do better? Absolutely. But he just needs time. It's sad that he wasn't sent to the minors last season before he became eligible for waivers. Then he could have finished out the season in WBS playing in all situations as the teams best winger.

Now... all I hope for is that regardless of where he plays in the lineup this season, that he can stay healthy enough to play the majority of the season. Fortunately for him, we have a skilled enough lineup that him playing 9 minutes a night isn't really going to hinder him all that much. Right now my ideal 3rd line is Dupuis - Bonino - Bennett. Dupuis provides the speed and forechecking and defensive presence, while Bonino and Bennett should be able to provide some offense. Or switch up Dupuis with Fehr. Not as much speed, but should still be able to spend a lot of time in the offensive zone.

I'm confident that IF BB can stay healthy and play regular minutes that the offense will come.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I'm not sure we even need that. Depends on what they really think about Wilson and Oskar.

Any 2nd pair D we assemble presently is a huge gamble. Insofar as the Penguins need anything on paper, it's a right shooting defenseman who's more of a 3 than a 5, preferably of the bigger/stronger/meaner variety. And it's not even 100% that that'll be necessary.

Getting rid of Scuderi's contract is the Penguins most-pressing need by far.

Unless we're trading a forward, I don't really see the need to be bringing in another forward. The blueline is a much more pressing need... however we would need to move one of Lovejoy or Scuderi for it to make sense bringing in another D.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Unless we're trading a forward, I don't really see the need to be bringing in another forward. The blueline is a much more pressing need... however we would need to move one of Lovejoy or Scuderi for it to make sense bringing in another D.

We would need to move both Scuds and Lovejoy, imo. Or move one and be willing to sit the other in the press box. Any move that puts Dumoulin or Pouliot out of the top 6 shouldn't be made.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I don't see any reason it couldn't be done. Not necessarily within each game, but whichever one is having more success that night can be the 3rd line. Have some internal competition.

That's how you do it. If a line is producing - it's playing.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
One great thing about this team is that open LW spot in the top 6. We can pretty much agree that Perron/Hornqvist/Kessel will be 3/4 of the top 6 wings. That last spot will promote lots of competition between Plotnikov, Kunitz, Bennett (hopefully)..heck even Dupuis. Maybe Bonino or Fehr if they play wing.

The past few years I rarely saw any motivation from guys to move up the lineup, besides Comeau. Lines were pretty clear-cut and guys like Kunitz and Dupuis had no competition. This lead to a lot of uninspired play for stretches. It might not make a huge difference in the regular season (or it might- who knows?) But it should make games entertaining to see guys try and prove they belong in the top 6.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Id see if Anaheim would bite on Kunitz for Sekac and a pick. Then try like hell to dump Scuds. If not, you at least have the pro rated space with Kunitz gone to address the defense at some point.

redsono93

Jun 29, 2009
New Jersey
What do you guys think of Edler as an option? I keep reading on trade boards that Van fans think he would be available. Would Kunitz and Bennett be a starting point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00