Confirmed with Link: Farnham Re-up'ed: 1 Year, 2-way Contract

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I guess this is the Pens answer for some toughness. lol. I love Farnham, but he won't last more than a handful of games playing the way he does

Considering he already lasted 11 NHL games playing the way he does, it appears you have already been proven wrong. 11 > handful.

Anyway, I'm very pleased with this signing. He is a solid 13th forward. Plug him in when you need him. Sitting him in the press box doesn't hurt his development. He's fast, feisty, draws penalties, and drives the other team nuts.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
If that were really true, they'd have done things a lot differently over the past few years, and this summer would have already seen a few familiar faces shipped out.

Yinzer fans.what they want, not hf fans. For example, kunitz and.dupuis are yinzer favorites. Guess who'll still be on the team in October.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
For those who still need an introduction:

Good signing, we badly need a guy like him on the depth chart. Much less skilled than Cooke or Downie but on the plus side the refs aren't on to him yet so he can still draw penalties instead of only getting calls against him.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Are you serious? Kunitz has been criticised beyond belief by Pens fans during the past year.

There are very, very, very different hockey intelligence levels in the spectrum of Pens' fans. Just last week I was talking to a customer of mine who was adamant that Dupuis and Kunitz go back with Crosby. And he would put Kessel and Hornqvist (2 RW'ers) with Malkin and trade Perron. AND extend Sutter.

That same crowd also loved Glass and Adams. And it's a scary high percentage of fans....

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
There are very, very, very different hockey intelligence levels in the spectrum of Pens' fans. Just last week I was talking to a customer of mine who was adamant that Dupuis and Kunitz go back with Crosby. And he would put Kessel and Hornqvist (2 RW'ers) with Malkin and trade Perron. AND extend Sutter.

That same crowd also loved Glass and Adams. And it's a scary high percentage of fans....

Just the other day here at work, I overheard someone say on the elevator (paraphrasing) "Yeah they traded away Comeau for nothing."

Soon after, the same person said something to the effect of "a Russian just chasing rubles". He was referring to Plotnikov.

At least some of the guys in the gym I go to hate the Despres trade.

Back to Farnham...

Glad he's back! Will be glad to see him on the 4th line.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
My problem with Farnham is that if he gets any kind of regular playing time in the NHL he will quickly wear out his welcome with the refs and stop getting calls in his favor. Other than drawing penalties and bouncing around like a pinball he doesn't have many NHL level qualities. As a call up in a pinch or against a team like the Flyers I think he's fine, but he by no means deserves a regular spot on the roster.

SwordofStMichael

Apr 4, 2013
Did you guys see the interview on Pens.com?
Currently Farnham is back home in Boston training with a boxing instructor at a world class boxing gym.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
"With the players that we have, if you can put that team on the power play, I think it’s a very important thing,” Farnham said. “And just from an energy standpoint and speed and forechecking and the agitating, if you can just bring it all together – it doesn’t have to be all the time, but if you pick your spots and you’re disciplined in doing it and can play a well-rounded game – that’s what I’ve been focusing on the last three years in Wilkes-Barre."

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=774762&cmpid=pit-twt-penguins

The guy knows his role so well. He has no misconceptions about what he's there for. I don't understand how some fail to see the value in that game.

Whatever reservations people have about Farnham's ability to do this over the course of a full season, there's only one way to find out. He's managed to do it in WBS for years. If he can't bring the level he needs to in the NHL with regularity, we have other options.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space

The guy knows his role so well. He has no misconceptions about what he's there for. I don't understand how some fail to see the value in that game.

Whatever reservations people have about Farnham's ability to do this over the course of a full season, there's only one way to find out. He's managed to do it in WBS for years. If he can't bring the level he needs to in the NHL with regularity, we have other options.
Exactly & it's not like he's a risk either with his 2way el cheapo contract.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Yup very well said.

thecore

Jul 2, 2008
Nebraska
steeltuxbird.blogspot.com

Agreed. I think he's envisioned as the 13th forward, which means he'll still play 40-60 games or so due to injury, depending on how Wilson, Rust and Sundqvist perform. I think that's perfect.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
My problem with Farnham is that if he gets any kind of regular playing time in the NHL he will quickly wear out his welcome with the refs and stop getting calls in his favor. Other than drawing penalties and bouncing around like a pinball he doesn't have many NHL level qualities. As a call up in a pinch or against a team like the Flyers I think he's fine, but he by no means deserves a regular spot on the roster.

I thought about the same thing in terms of getting a reputation, but he's been in the AHL for 3 years and still gets calls for him more than against him. Maybe because he never really crosses the line like Downie or Cooke have.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I think 40-60 games is perfect for him. The way he plays, doing that for 82 is impossible. being a 13th forward will keep him fresh and effective.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Agreed. I think he's envisioned as the 13th forward, which means he'll still play 40-60 games or so due to injury, depending on how Wilson, Rust and Sundqvist perform. I think that's perfect.

My only knock on the guy is that he's undersized, and is going to miss his share of games to injury. But all of Farnham, Rust, and Wilson are like to that to an extent, which we've already seen in their short stints. So if you rely on those players to fill your 12th and 13th forward spots, and chip in a few goals and provide energy, then I think that's a realistic expectation and a huge upgrade over Adams.

If you're 4th line is something like

Sundqvist Cullen Farnham
Rust/Wilson

Then we're good.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
PensBurgh hates this, in case you needed further confirmation that this was a good move.

The thing Pensburgh seems to miss is this simple concept: Farnham draws a lot more penalties than he takes. So while his puck skills don't amount to much, he allows the Pens' big guns to get out there on the ice with the man advantage more often.

Given a 5-10 minutes of TOI per game, which is better:
- a player who goes out there and, at best, cycles the puck for a while, and every 20 games scores a goal.
- a player who goes out there and in 4 out of 5 games draws a penalty from the opposing team, but never scores any goals.

The first is considered a "good" fourth line player. The second is Bobby Farnham.

Personally, I wouldn't want Farnham in every game, but there are certain opponents I definitely would want him in the lineup against. Mostly those teams that seem to be particularly easy to agitate.

So, have Farnham as the 13th forward, and play him occasionally. He's not being wasted by sitting in the press-box like other prospects would be, and having him out there only occasionally will also help with preventing the refs from getting tired of him.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
The thing Pensburgh seems to miss is this simple concept: Farnham draws a lot more penalties than he takes. So while his puck skills don't amount to much, he allows the Pens' big guns to get out there on the ice with the man advantage more often.

Given a 5-10 minutes of TOI per game, which is better:
- a player who goes out there and, at best, cycles the puck for a while, and every 20 games scores a goal.
- a player who goes out there and in 4 out of 5 games draws a penalty from the opposing team, but never scores any goals.

The first is considered a "good" fourth line player. The second is Bobby Farnham.

Personally, I wouldn't want Farnham in every game, but there are certain opponents I definitely would want him in the lineup against. Mostly those teams that seem to be particularly easy to agitate.

So, have Farnham as the 13th forward, and play him occasionally. He's not being wasted by sitting in the press-box like other prospects would be, and having him out there only occasionally will also help with preventing the refs from getting tired of him.

Farnham fills the role intended for Downie last season, and thus far hasn't burned all his credit with the refs, so he still can do that job.

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
I think he's the perfect 13th forward too. He is what he is and he can play in games vs philly and Boston etc.

This should be our template going into the season

Kunitz/Plots Sid/Geno Kessel
Perron Sid/Geno Hornqvist
Kunitz/Plots Sutter Dupuis/Beau
Sundqvist Vet Dupuis/Beau
Farnham

Wilson, Rust, Sheary, Porter and moulertilrat (or whatever) for 12th forward depth. Not bad.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Not only would 82 games be hard on Farnham but the opposition would more or less start to get used to him and game plan around him. If you don't know if he's going to be in the lineup or not, or see him less frequently, I think he'd be more effective.

I think he can fill that Rinaldo / Kaleta role only in a more honest manner and without the cheap shots.

888 98 twins

Got you back not your wallet
Feb 12, 2008
Burgh
Can he PK at all or does he have the IQ to be able to learn? Other than that, he's exactly what you'd want out of a 12th/13th forward on a team like this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad